1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Triple Sub Box...anybody tried it yet?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mnkybnz, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    mnkybnz

mnkybnz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Brush Gaurd Step Bars
    I'm looking at this box:

https://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2332

The photos online aren't great, and I've got no idea where I'd squeeze an amp in the mix. I'd like the three subs, but might have to settle for two instead.

Has anybody out there tried the triple sub box, and if so, where did you mount the amp?

Thanks!

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    mount it under a seat, or in the cubby below.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    x2 on under the seat. thats where i put all mine.

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    not worth in IMO. There is .65 cu ft per sub...thats WAY to small. Subs need lots of volume to function correctly and that is freakin tiny even for slim subs.

5. Mar 17, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Not even close to accurate... Sure, a lot of "old school" subs needed lots of volume, but many many newer subs are designed for smaller boxes. You give up efficiency to run a smaller box with good output, but that is a trade off almost anyone is willing to give. Power is stupid cheap, so why not take advantage...

1st, it depends on the sub.
    2nd, size matters. Most 8" and 10" subs need less airspace vs a 12 or 15.
    3rd, what is the "Q" of the box you want to run? "Ideal" is about .71, but many subs perform with a much higher total q due to cabin gain of a room (or in this case, a truck, which is often much better than a room)

Lastly, use a program like WinISD, Bassbox pro, etc. to find the ideal enclosure. WinISD will even allow you to enter different numbers for the tuning and box size to see how it will affect the lower roll-off for the sub in question.

There are many 8" subs, and a few 10's, that will run ported in .65, and a whole lot more that do very well in that size sealed. (model up a Dayton HO 10, for example)

I think the Dayton HO12 only needs about .6 sealed...
    TC (audiopulse) epic 10 only needs about .7 ported for a great looking response curve.
    JBL GTO8 only needs about .35 or so sealed, for an "ideal" enclosure.
    Sundown E8 (not sure about the V2) only needed about .5 ported, and about .3 sealed.
    PG RSD or RSDC 10" only needs about .6, and will play very deep.

Etc, etc, etc...

This is not to say "trust the MFG when the say it only needs XXX" for the volume of the enclosure, but do some investigating to see what will work.

6. Mar 17, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    precision power sq 8's are a really good sub i have two of them in my truck and they sounds pretty good for a small box good enough for me

Products Discussed in

To Top