Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Use your mirror monitor for something else...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Westdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: Frankie
Westdog976's Tacoma Gallery
Use your mirror monitor for something else...

Hey guys, was going to make a how-to but got deployed to Afghan... maybe when I get back I can edit some of my mistakes and do a decent write up.

No real need for a movie playing in that tiny monitor but it is nice to have my speedo up there!!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Subd for later..
TacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoRun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
TacoRun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
that's awesome man. way beyond my capabilities though.
X2

As soon as a saw all the wires I was like ah crap Nevermind.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this! Much Rep to you! Wow!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Well done!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
rjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjclemen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Riley
rjclemen's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Westdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant futureWestdog976 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: Frankie
Westdog976's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I’m feeling a little guilty now though….

Come to find out, the monitor in the mirror is only designed to stay on for five minutes!!!! I assume to prevent it from burning out.

Anyway, the work-around, unfortunately, was to open up the mirror and solder a wire from the +12 VDC reverse signal (which is now being supplied by the relay) to the monitor power lead. This works really well and the monitor will always stay on now!

The only catch is the monitor only requires +3.8 VDC so now it is almost three times brighter. I need a way to step down the 12 volts… any ideas?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westdog976 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I’m feeling a little guilty now though….

Come to find out, the monitor in the mirror is only designed to stay on for five minutes!!!! I assume to prevent it from burning out.

Anyway, the work-around, unfortunately, was to open up the mirror and solder a wire from the +12 VDC reverse signal (which is now being supplied by the relay) to the monitor power lead. This works really well and the monitor will always stay on now!

The only catch is the monitor only requires +3.8 VDC so now it is almost three times brighter. I need a way to step down the 12 volts… any ideas?
Dude, I was lost on your first post (anything electrical is gibberish to me) but good luck. I'm sure you'll come up with something. If not, you an always try a hammer. That's what I use.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
bizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to beholdbizjettech is a splendid one to behold

bizjettech's Tacoma Gallery
yep, you need a transistor - very similar to this....
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=355342

I need a way to step down the 12 volts… any ideas?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
awesome
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
badass mod!

x2 on what bizzjet said, solder in a resistor that can step down the power
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks great but yeah the 5 minute deal sucks. It does the same thing to those that do the rear view camera anytime mod.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #17
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
this is seriously impressive! and here i was feeling pretty proud of myself for wiring up my own fog lights and switches!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Why not get an aftermarket mirror with a monitor built in and running it the same way you are trying to run the stock one?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #19
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nicely done!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Audacia77 is on a distinguished road
Army: Veteran
Name: Ben
Location: They forgot to tell me we're not in Iraq anymore... Basrah.
Audacia77's Tacoma Gallery
Never thought of running the GPS into the mirror. That's awesome.