Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2ngd Gen Tacoma Communications

Old 03-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Communications / Dispatch
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
2ngd Gen Tacoma Communications

I am looking to install both a CB and a HAM into my truck this spring and need some help with part of the install. I want to install the antennas using the track system in the bed just behind the cab, I will have one antenna for the CB and a quad band antenna for the HAM. What I am interested to know is this:

1: How long will each antenna be?
2: Were do i get power foling mounts?

Ideally the antenas will not be longer than the bed it wide and on power foling mounts so that I can fold the two both inwards when needed (getting into the garage).

I have done some searching and here is what I am thinking of using:
CB Antenna: Firestik II 4ft
HAM Antenna: Diamond CR8900A Quad Band FM Mobile Antenna
Motorized Mount: Diamond K9000LRM Motorized Luggage Rack Mount

thx.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like your CB antenna will be 4ft long. Am I missing something?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement: Communications / Dispatch
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
thats the model I have been looking at do I need a longer one? Ideally the antennas would both be the same height.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
A shorter antenna just limits range and efficiency... how much range do you need? Max range would be a quarter wave length whip thats as long as your whole truck lol... Would a 2.5 meter antenna be ideal for use on 10 meter band (quarter wave)... sure but a shorter antenna works too. Would an antenna twice as long as that Firestik do better for your CB? Yes. Could you run one half the length of that Firestik? Yes. You need to not be looking at it from an aesthetics perspective (equal antenna lengths being ideal) and look at it from a technical, educated, persepctive and make an educated decision on how much range and efficiency you want vs making it "look good" to your eye or to be convenient to use.

There is no "correct" answer other than the answer to "what is the most efficient antenna length for this band?" the answer is a quarter the length of that bands wavelength. Even that is not awlays true in all cases.