1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How and Where to Mount Fuse For Amp

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jerlane, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mar 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    jerlane

jerlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    I'm getting ready to start my amp and sub installation and was wondering how and where people are mounting the fuse box. I know it needs to be close to the battery, but I haven't been able to find much more info than that. Do you need to screw it to the body? Does it need an additional block? I'm using a kicker amp kit and the fuse box is kind of "beefy."

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    cluck024

cluck024 -cluck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD-OR DC Barcelona Red
    Blacked out badges, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals and Third Brake Light Cover, Yellow fog lights, custom homelink install, Radflo 2.0 coilovers, LR UCA's, AAL, Moto Metal 957 matte black with Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 shoes, more to come...
    drill a couple holes for small bolts and nylon locking nuts in the top of fuse box right behind the battery. Works great!

3. Mar 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    That's what I did too. I actually use a circuit breaker. That way I can cut power to it at the push of a button when I'm working on the system. Plus, if I ever get into a situation where I WOULD have popped a fuse I don't have to go out and buy another...I just reset it :D

4. Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    jerlane

jerlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    Sounds good. Thanks, guys.

5. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    The closer you put your main fuse to the battery the better. If you have a meltdown for some reason it will only be a short length rather than frying the entire length of wire into the cab.

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    sb_mech22

sb_mech22 yo quero taco's?

Member:
    Sandy Eggo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement 4X4 TRD OR DCSB
    dude dont put it on the top of your fuse box! you can get self tapping screws and screw it into the side right behind that fuse box like this
    [​IMG]

7. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    cluck024

cluck024 -cluck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD-OR DC Barcelona Red
    Blacked out badges, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Sockmonkey Decals and Third Brake Light Cover, Yellow fog lights, custom homelink install, Radflo 2.0 coilovers, LR UCA's, AAL, Moto Metal 957 matte black with Nitto Terra Grappler 285/70/17 shoes, more to come...
    I thought about doing this but wanted the easiest possible access to it just in case I ever need to trouble shoot or put in a new fuse.

8. Mar 24, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    The fuse is supposed to be in place to protect your wiring and anything else from burning and catching on fire. With that said I suggest you place the fuse as close to the power source as possible, preferably within a foot of it. It is much easier to replace burnt wire that is only a foot long and easily accessible inside the engine compartment that is fire resistant than it is to replace wire going into your passenger compartment which is not fire resistant. Ease of access and replacement is popping the hood, which you should do every time you gas up. Hope this helps your decision, if you still have questions I would suggest going to best buy and chatting up an installer there.

Products Discussed in

To Top