1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Taco Audio Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BigDan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    BigDan

BigDan [OP] Travelin’ Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    None YET! (It's only got 50 miles on it.)
    I will share the information I have for my audio upgrade even though I had the work done by a Audio Store. The components are as follows:

JVC KW XR 810 head
    Punch P400-4 Amp (Fits under the driver's seat)
    Punch T1Ts Tweeters in the front doors (No guys, that is not Tits)
    Punch P1694 6 x 9 Speakers in the front doors.
    Punch P152 5 1/4" rounds in the rear doors
    Siruis Radio
    HD Radio
    Steering Wheel interface kit.

Since there is a excellent install thread on this topic, I will not go into much detail about what I know except for two things that may be of interest.

First, my Taco came with a low end stereo so it had switches on the left side of the steering wheel but a blank on the right. I got part numbers from this Forum for the right switch but was told by several people that the switch would fit and work but the color of the lights in the switch itself would not match the existing switch. I ended up buying a switch kit (part# 84250-04010-B0) which came with both switches all ready to plug-in. As it turns out, this was a screw-up on my part. The JVC head I selected is not compatible with the right side switches which are all Bluetooth related. The good thing is that the head is very compatible with the IPhone I use and the head has a big answer button on the front. Oh well, the steering wheel looks better now.

Also, the rear doors did not come with speakers. I understand Toyota dropped rear door speakers a few years ago? Anyway, there was a question about whether the steel structure of the door has openings pre-cut for speakers. The answer is yes....but there is a glitch. Toyota apparently redesigned the plastic interior door panels in such a way that a speaker installed in the opening makes for a bad fit to the interior panel. In order to make the speaker grille fit within a flat spot in the plastic interior panel, you have to move the speaker about an inch which means cutting the existing hole about an inch bigger. That was using 5 1/4" speakers. 4" speakers may be just fine.

I have attached some photos for your review.

AudioInstallAmpSmall.jpg
    AudioInstallDoorStructureSmall.jpg
    AudioInstallRearSpeakerSmall.jpg

2. Mar 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    BigDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    The 2011's has no rear door speakers or grilles. You have to cut the plastice interior door panel. Oh yeah, no wiring either.

3. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    BigDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    The thought crossed my mind. But the cost was already an issue. Also, are they interchangeable? Apparently, this is a different panel than the ones with speakers. Will the old style fit? Do you need different brackets? Will new holes have to be drilled? Is it the exact same shade of gray as the rest of the interior? Used one are not an option on my brand new truck.

4. Mar 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    BigDan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
    It would be easy to install them now without anymore expense other than the panels if they will fit.
    What looks tacky is aftermarket heads. I looked at a lot of them and they all look out of place including mine. I guess the rear speakers are mostly out of site as compared to that ugly head that stares at you all the time.

5. Mar 28, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    Femino

Femino Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Hey Bigdan. I'm loking to upragde my 2010 sysyem. Obviously, you know it is crap. Anyway, a few questions:

Are using an iphone 4....been hearing about alot of bluetooth issue with the 4
    Did yout get the KW-XR810 or KW-XR810 R/B. One is $300 the other is $140. Couldn't find any info on the difference between them.

What did you spend ont he entire system?

Thanks

6. Mar 31, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    LSUtigaz07

LSUtigaz07 GEAUX LSU

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Lake Charles, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Black TRD Off Road
    3" Toytec Lift, K&N 63-9025 Air Charger Air Intake, Chrome Accents, Blacked out windows
    I have been looking for ways to upgrade the poor factory speaker system in my 2011 and I came across your post. What did you pay for just these components?

JVC KW XR 810 head
    Punch P400-4 Amp (Fits under the driver's seat)
    Punch T1Ts Tweeters in the front doors (No guys, that is not Tits)
    Punch P1694 6 x 9 Speakers in the front doors.
    Punch P152 5 1/4" rounds in the rear doors

7. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can program the right side steering wheel buttons to do other functions like scan/seek/FF/REW etc.

8. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    I think I saw someone here that just covered that whole section where your speaker grill is mounted, with thin gray fabric. (obviously after making a round hole on the panel for the sound to come through) Looked OEM.

Great install though, I don't think the grill looks bad.

9. May 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    yes u can just change out the door panels but have to run the wires. U have already done that so the mounts behind match up like they should why they changed them i dont know but with out those speakers in the door the system sounds like shit. Damn engineers

Products Discussed in

To Top