Nahhh, I'm fine with stock... 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #41
JDattilio is on a distinguished road
Name: Jayson
JDattilio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I recall many of the Dyns that I've encountered being fairly low sensitivity. A guy I know on the Lexus forum had an active 3 way and said they really needed some stout power to shine. Great drivers though.
Yes they love good clean power and lots of it, due to the large voice coils, we usally pair them with Mcintosh or Audison amps
Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #42
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRNDAN View Post
I'm very interested in this kit, even if it involves a little cutting. My only concern is these drivers covering the frequency range well enough. I realize there will be a probably be a trade off of super-low lows (below 30-40Hz or so), but anything would be an improvement over stock. Testing will tell, of course. My idea was to somehow put the bass driver in the rear doors (I have a 2009 Access cab), and smaller drivers/tweeters in the front doors. This, however, will be much less work than that, so I am hoping it will pan out well.

I am already fairly sure that this "kit" will come at a cost considerably less than if you bought similar products from popular name brand equipment, as ItalynStylion is using a different brand that costs considerably less, without a loss in quality. We all know in some cases you pay for the name. (Can we say John Deere? ha ha)

Of course, Italyn, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking forward to the results of testing.

This is correct. The lack of marketing, fancy packaging, and the high volume OEM sales that these companies have keep pricing low. As I mentioned earlier, their components go into some very well know, high end speakers for home and car audio. These are solid companies, solid drivers, at a great price.

And I think these will be a great alternative to your 3 way with the midbass drivers in the Access cab doors.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #44
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
i Have an Alpine pdx f4 right now running type r's 6.5 all around (component in the front, coaxial in the rear) my amp is way too powerfull for these speakers. 100rms is whats written but its actually around 127rms or so. so i want/need better speakers already.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #45
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
This is correct. The lack of marketing, fancy packaging, and the high volume OEM sales that these companies have keep pricing low. As I mentioned earlier, their components go into some very well know, high end speakers for home and car audio. These are solid companies, solid drivers, at a great price.

And I think these will be a great alternative to your 3 way with the midbass drivers in the Access cab doors.
I don't look at is as only an alternative to no subwoofer, I would position is to use as either... I would go with a similar setup with the addition of a sub.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #46
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
I don't look at is as only an alternative to no subwoofer, I would position is to use as either... I would go with a similar setup with the addition of a sub.

He was talking about a "bass driver" in the rear door, and "smaller drivers in tweets and front doors", not as an alternative to no sub (or I read it wrong, lol). Steven and I both hit that in post 22/23

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post2996372

I too would include a sub, but 8" drivers with decent throw should cover down well into sub-bass area easily.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #47
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
bump!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #48
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
The drivers came in yesterday morning. These 8's are beefy as hell and I hope we can get them to fit. I'm pretty sure we will though. Looking forward to the testing.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #49
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The drivers came in yesterday morning. These 8's are beefy as hell and I hope we can get them to fit. I'm pretty sure we will though. Looking forward to the testing.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #50
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Great! can you post pictures and details of the drivers?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #51
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantaco View Post
Great! can you post pictures and details of the drivers?
Info will be provided, but:
Quote:
Peerless 8's and some Vifa 3/4" silk dome tweeters. I'd prefer not to go into detail till we verify what we'll be using.
Only a week until we get together.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #52
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't think I'll have time to get pictures of them. We recently had a death in the family and I'm having to spend the majority of the week out of state. We're still good for testing this weekend but I can't promise any updates before then.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #53
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
I am sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers man. If things need to change, or you need anything, let me know.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #54
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I don't think I'll have time to get pictures of them. We recently had a death in the family and I'm having to spend the majority of the week out of state. We're still good for testing this weekend but I can't promise any updates before then.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #55
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
I am sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers man. If things need to change, or you need anything, let me know.
It's all good man. I just need to find time to cut a set of baffles before then. I'll figure it out.

And for anyone else that is interested in attending the testing on Sunday shoot me a PM so I can get you my address.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #57
Sounds Gooooood

The drivers we're using aren't really a secret but I didn't want to say a whole lot before I knew if these would really work. I still don't know if they'll work for sure but I'm confident they will so here it is.

Midbass

Peerless is a company that's long been synonymous with sound quality. Their build quality is stellar and all their drivers are true performers. No extra marketing bling, just pure performance.

This particular driver was chosen for a couple of reasons. The HDS series uses a paper cone that's very natural sounding and is well dampened. The motor structure utilizes shorting rings for extremely low distortion. Ample venting under the suspension reduce distortion due to air compression. They are also quite efficient so they'll make the most out of limited power.

Frequency response looks darn smooth out to 3khz on axis and remains pretty decent even 30 degrees off axis up to about 2khz. This should work well with the tweeters we plan to use. The FS on the woofers are quite low at 30hz so low end response should be impressive. They require a larger enclosure so they should be at home in the doors.

Tweeters

Vifa is actually owned by Peerless (parent company is Tymphany) so the same "all business" persona extends to their tweeters as well. These tweeters are small and compact but really are performers. They use a back chamber that helps lower their resonant frequency and let them play lower without distortion. Being able to play low is crucial in our case because 8" midbasses won't play as high (on axis) as a smaller 6.5" speaker.

This particular model tweeter does exceptionally well off axis too because it's a 3/4" dome and not a larger 1" tweeter. These should do very well in the stock locations and also in the sail panels (if you so choose).

That's all for now. More to come later in the week.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #58
I love your mom!

I am VERY stoked about this set-up! I can't wait to get these in my truck! Did you do the update on your Eclipse? Mine now works with my iPhone/iOS 4.3.1!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #59
Sounds Gooooood

I didn't do the update yet but I'm sure a lot of the other guys will want it BAD. I don't have an iPhone but I suppose I should do it anyway.

PS: We still don't have confirmation that the 8" drivers will fit but I'm thinking it will.