Gauging Interest: 8" Tacoma Component Kit

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Sounds good, sign me up! 51 66.23%
I'd even run this with a sub too for uber bass...like a boss! 20 25.97%
Nahhh, I'm fine with stock... 6 7.79%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb Gauging Interest: 8" Tacoma Component Kit

We all know that in the Tacoma space is at a premium. We've been blessed with well organized/shaped bins and giving them up that space is hard to swallow. That being said, the stock system wont cut it for most of you yearning for some more kick. So now you've you're in a quandary of more bass and less space or suck it up and deal with crappy sound.

My plan here is to develop an 8" component kit that will bolt right in the front doors. Goals would be to provide exceptional clarity, outstanding bass without taking up any storage space, and of course ease of install would be a plus. I'm planning on using fairly efficient drivers so the kit would eek the most out of low power amps but would handle close to 100watts. In short, you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Here's what I plan on including in the kit...
2 - 8" low distortion midbass speakers
2 - 3/4" low fs silk dome tweeters
2 - passive crossovers
2 - 8" driver baffles
2 - tweeter baffles
* - deadener to make sure your install is proper (I'll decide how much is needed later)

Rather than just throwing a crossover point at the two speakers I'm planning on doing some in depth testing to determine the best crossover point and phase alignments. Not just running simulations but actually test out how they sound INSIDE the Tacoma where you'll have them setup.

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
This sounds very appealing, and I'd probly be in.

Excuse my ignorance, but would this require me to get an amp?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
i just put an amp and 2 components in the front and 2 coaxial in the back. 6.5 are good but too small as i'm starting to realize. if you can find good 8" components and figure out how to fit them, well then let me know because i'd hate to have to put a sub and lose more space. but i want more low bass coming in.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrayrasta View Post
i just put an amp and 2 components in the front and 2 coaxial in the back. 6.5 are good but too small as i'm starting to realize. if you can find good 8" components and figure out how to fit them, well then let me know because i'd hate to have to put a sub and lose more space. but i want more low bass coming in.

Where'd you put the speakers in the back? 2011's dont have speakers in the back, there in the cealing...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post

Required is a hard word to work with, but they would definitely do better with some power.
Steven - another PM inbound...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
BTW... The poll makes me think of the Andy Samburg (INCREDIBAD) LIKE A BOSS song...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Dang that would be awesome!!! Too bad Im a 1st gen
Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I call test mule :P
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
We all know that in the Tacoma space is at a premium. We've been blessed with well organized/shaped bins and giving them up that space is hard to swallow. That being said, the stock system wont cut it for most of you yearning for some more kick. So now you've you're in a quandary of more bass and less space or suck it up and deal with crappy sound.

My plan here is to develop an 8" component kit that will bolt right in the front doors. Goals would be to provide exceptional clarity, outstanding bass without taking up any storage space, and of course ease of install would be a plus. I'm planning on using fairly efficient drivers so the kit would eek the most out of low power amps but would handle close to 100watts. In short, you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Here's what I plan on including in the kit...
2 - 8" low distortion midbass speakers
2 - 3/4" low fs silk dome tweeters
2 - passive crossovers
2 - 8" driver baffles
2 - tweeter baffles
* - deadener to make sure your install is proper (I'll decide how much is needed later)

Rather than just throwing a crossover point at the two speakers I'm planning on doing some in depth testing to determine the best crossover point and phase alignments. Not just running simulations but actually test out how they sound INSIDE the Tacoma where you'll have them setup.

Thoughts?
Great plan... for most people, being able to buy a package deal is a great way to go. I was going to put together my own package for my first gen , you can get some great speakers for amazing prices if you know what you're doing... so you should be able to offer a great package at a great price. I can't remember the site, but there's a site that sells Dayton seperates at amazing prices... great speaker, great price... that's what I was going to do until I scored a great set of Massive Audio CK's instead.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where'd you put the speakers in the back? 2011's dont have speakers in the back, there in the cealing...
Personally I would pass on the rear speakers...
Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He has a double cab. It has door mounted 6.5 coax.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
He has a double cab. It has door mounted 6.5 coax.

Ah yes, somehow overlooked that. Im an idiot- thanks for setting me straight!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
double cab. sorry should have said it before.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrayrasta View Post
double cab. sorry should have said it before.
Quote:
Ah yes, somehow overlooked that. Im an idiot- thanks for setting me straight!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post

I just need to run an amp under the passenger seat with the set up you're proposing, correct?
Quote:

You wouldn't NEED a separate amp but they would REALLY shine with some good power. Like I said in the original post, the kit should be pretty efficient if all goes as planned so running them off headunit power would be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
BTW... The poll makes me think of the Andy Samburg (INCREDIBAD) LIKE A BOSS song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
I can't remember the site, but there's a site that sells Dayton seperates at amazing prices... great speaker, great price... that's what I was going to do until I scored a great set of Massive Audio CK's instead.
Yep, parts express, love that place. The crossover design will be key, remember that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I call test mule :P
I think Matt already has dibbs but you can come over and do the testing with us if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab08 View Post
Dang that would be awesome!!! Too bad Im a 1st gen
Oh hush....we already got you rockin
Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I think Matt already has dibbs but you can come over and do the testing with us if you want.
Just let me know when
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
I would definitely be interested price dependent
x2
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
So Steven, is the extra bass we will get out of this justify the costs? Or would we be better off with slightly lesser quality speakers and a sub in back? If your option here is better I am on board for some ideas.