Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sound Ordnance B-8PT Review!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Sound Ordnance B-8PT Review!

Hello Gents,
So i recently installed a low profile "Sound Ordnance" subwoofer.
Seeing this thing i was really skeptical about what kind of sound it would put out. I was not really looking for the punch of two 12" subs, just was looking to fill out the missing bottom end in the truck. It more than satisfied, holy cow. Took me all of about two hours to install behind the drivers side back seat, double cab truck. The really cool part is i was looking to NOT see this equipment, i am into the stealthy audio look. Anyway, if any of you guys are looking for just that extra bass, this is the box for you. I just hope it has good reliability, i have to find a way to keep it from bouncing around behind the seat.

Overall, i am really impressed, it changed the rest of the system quite positively. I have all Focal components in the doors.

Sub fit rather nicely behind the seat!

Installed the bass volume knob on one of the extra, blank plates.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed one as well. it sounds great. I stuffed it under the seat. it barely fit.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
yeah they are pretty impressive for the little package it comes in. It actually vibrates the rearview mirror!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
DocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1st 145th FA
Name: David
DocCisco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Shannon, did you run your power and RCAs on the driver's side panel? How about the ground, did you attach it in the back by the sub or use the stereo grnd?

I'll be installing mine today or tomorrow and am doing some prep.

Here's another B-8PT thread... not much input just others that liked the sub. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...magic-sub.html
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
sxgt is on a distinguished road
sxgt's Tacoma Gallery
Just put one in a 1st gen dbl cab. I am impressed also. I have a new headunit and this sub with factory speakers and I like it a lot. Still dialing it in. Also I haven't secured it behind the seat completely -- there is enough room behind the drivers side back seat with a little to spare. I plan to try some Industrial velcro later today.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
DocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDocCisco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxgt View Post
Just put one in a 1st gen dbl cab. I am impressed also. I have a new headunit and this sub with factory speakers and I like it a lot. Still dialing it in. Also I haven't secured it behind the seat completely -- there is enough room behind the drivers side back seat with a little to spare. I plan to try some Industrial velcro later today.
Did you run power to the battery or just use the 12v off the HU? This is the first sub I've installed and am just learning some stuff before I start tearing things apart.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
sxgt's Tacoma Gallery
I ran it from the battery. I ordered a sub install kit from Amazon (BOSS package) and it came with a power, ground, rca, remote lead, fuse, etc. I ran from the battery up the drivers side of the enging bay(fused it here), across the firewall by the brake booster and over to the start of the IM. There was an unused plug in the firewall that was perfect - I pulled it off drilled a hole and ran my power cable through it, from inside the cab I then went over to the kick panel, down the doors and up to the amp behind the back seat.

It took me awhile, about 4 hours - but I am slow. I imagine someone that is familiar with their truck, wiring, etc could do it in an hour or two.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCisco View Post
Hey Shannon, did you run your power and RCAs on the driver's side panel? How about the ground, did you attach it in the back by the sub or use the stereo grnd?

I'll be installing mine today or tomorrow and am doing some prep.

Here's another B-8PT thread... not much input just others that liked the sub. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...magic-sub.html
Yes i ran down the drivers side panels along the doors, and the ground was attached to a bolt back by the sub its self. behind the seat in the corner. Power comes directly off the battery.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
getting new coils first, but these seem to be getting awesome reviews, so it's next on the list!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #11

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
So... You gonna let me hear this someday Shannon?
Sure man, come on over anytime!!
Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
sxgt's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a quick write up on a first gen. First I looked under the hood/firewall to determine where to run the power wire to the battery. I used a BOSS kit from Amazon for installing an AMP.
Amp KIT

Powered Sub - it looks dusty since I was wearing latex gloves

Inspecting the battery/engine bay

Noticed this unused firewall plug on my 03 - look in this area for a 1" unused firewall plug. Drilled a hole to poke the power wire through (I removed the plug to drill)

Test fitting power wire

Fuse in place - used double sided tape instead of supplied self tapping screws.

Removed door to carpet trim pieces - they were secured with phillips screws. Be careful removing - I broke one of the tabs that secures the covers to the cab floor. Quick generic part from autostore to fix it (no pictures - you cant tell now anyway).

Under dash views - I secured my power, remote turn on and rca cables to the parking brake sleeve with zip ties. (second pic below) - also shows where the power wire pokes through the firewall.

Kick panel wiring views

Wiring views under the carpet
Rear

Front

Amp wiring - this is behind the drivers side rear seat of a 2003 dbl cab. Grounded to the rear seat bolt.

Amp sitting unsecured behind the seat. I finally secured the amp with Industrial velcro strips from Lowes - 2" wide strips - no pic. It fits perfectly in my opinion and I am 97% sure it doesn't touch the seat back at all - very hard to confirm in a first gen - not enough room to get my arm back there to confirm in the center of the seat back. For sure it doesn't touch the edges. Also the seat back has an indention that allows the sub to fit into - almost like it was made for it.

Mounted my remote bass adjustment dial just in front of the shifter.

Due to my headunit (Kenwood KDC-X995) and RCA cables hitting something under the dash - I had to buy rt angle RCA adapters.

Very impressed with the sub. Rounds out my aftermarket headunit and stock speakers very well. Install took about 4 hours - but I was in no rush.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #13

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Wow dude, looks really nice. I really like mine as well.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Nice install.

Sticky?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #15

Nice pics SXGT, thank you! I just finished wiring mine tonight and will add similar photos for the 2nd gen.

BTW the local sound warehouse wanted $75 for the install... that's when I knew I'd be getting an education in Sub install 101 .
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
I like what I see! I was wondering about one of these powered units as well. For those of you that have them how much bass does it put out? Is it sound like a regular 8" or 10" sound. Im not loking for that crazy shake apart my truck loose bass but need to fill in the bottom end with my kicker door speakers and Alpine HU.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #17

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TXED View Post
I like what I see! I was wondering about one of these powered units as well. For those of you that have them how much bass does it put out? Is it sound like a regular 8" or 10" sound. Im not loking for that crazy shake apart my truck loose bass but need to fill in the bottom end with my kicker door speakers and Alpine HU.

Sounds like an 8" to me. It does shake the rear view, more than enough for me. I find myself turning it down to half power most of the time.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
mikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nice
mikracer's Tacoma Gallery
sxgt - Notice you ran your RCA's along side your power cable. If you get any noise, with the sub, that can be your culprit. Not saying you will, but most installers will run the RCA's on the opposite side the power is running.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
CNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to beholdCNewell is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Information Systems Technician / IT2
Name: Camron
CNewell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
sxgt - Notice you ran your RCA's along side your power cable. If you get any noise, with the sub, that can be your culprit. Not saying you will, but most installers will run the RCA's on the opposite side the power is running.
I'm pretty sure I read that's just a myth. I think it was Mr. Marv himself who said it. It's in one of his sticky threads here.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
monkey wrench is on a distinguished road

Name: sean
monkey wrench's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TXED View Post
I think it's more then enough to fill out the bottom end.

I keep the sub's eq turned down and it puts out a tight bass punch.

I ran it straight off the bat, grounded it under the door channel and ran the rc wires and remote power lead to the head unit through the hole in the carpet under the driver seat. I don't use the wired gain control. my head unit has a sub level control, and I can reach the nobs on the sub while I'm in the driver's seat.

Products Discussed in this Thread