Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

OEM Aux/MP3 Question

Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Aux/MP3 Question

Sorry for my techno ignorance folk but I am confused and searching has only made me more so. My 06 came with the 6 disc with no aux so I bought this similar unit (07) with mp3/aux , WMA(?) and SAT capabilities. I am assuming it is going to be a straight forward plug & play but how do I physically plug into this stereo? I got no cables with the stereo. On the back there are two plugs. One is for the antenna, is the other for the aux plug? Should I be able to pick up a plug at radio shack or is it a Toyota only plug? Does a sat unit plug into this aux also?
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Aux/MP3 Question-012.jpg   OEM Aux/MP3 Question-013.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
WMA = Windows Media (Audio) - an alternate audio file format.

Don't know what plugs are on the back of your unit, but I can make some assumptions based on owning a later model radio.

On the later models (mine anyway) three of the white multi-pin connectors are used along with the antenna wire plug-in. The white connector with 12 pins is unused without any audio options and is where the OEM iPod box, a CD Changer, and/or Sat radio box connection would be made. Since there is nothing else besides the three white connectors and antenna, yet my aux input worked, I infer the aux input is in one of the bundles with a white connector and not the separate wiring plug over by the antenna (have no idea what that does, but I suspect it is the antenna for the Sat unit).
Old 04-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The AUX input is a Toyota part only. It isn't very good either. The stereo will plug into the wiring in your truck as long as you aren't trying to plug in a JBL stereo into a non JBL truck or visa versa.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
So I still need the 12 pin oem plug that will give me a place to plug in my mp3/ipod. Anyone know if an aftermarket connector is available?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbp68 View Post
So I still need the 12 pin oem plug that will give me a place to plug in my mp3/ipod. Anyone know if an aftermarket connector is available?
Grom audio, USA Spec or Dice Electronics.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by "not very good"? Poor sound quality?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
What do you mean by "not very good"? Poor sound quality?
Yes.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys
Old 04-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
TXVET is on a distinguished road
Air Force: F-16C/F-117A Crew Chief
TXVET's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 06 with a 6 disk changer also. I wanted to do the same thing, which was to see about a mp3 hook up. I went straight to the source, Toyota parts dept in town and asked if the 07-09 model stereo would be a direct replacement? He looked up the stereos of 05-06 and 07-09 and they are not plug and play. If you look at the panel where your cigarette lighter and power port are thats different from newer 07-09 and thats where the mp3/aux port is . Also the connections are different in 05-06, MP3 ports were an oversight for trucks till 07 ( Aren't we lucky ) The parts guy told me he could add an mp3 port from toyota for 350! I decided to start looking for an aftermarket deck with mp3 hookups that will allow me to use the steering wheel control. I think Kenwood and eclipse make those.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXVET View Post
I have an 06 with a 6 disk changer also. I wanted to do the same thing, which was to see about a mp3 hook up. I went straight to the source, Toyota parts dept in town and asked if the 07-09 model stereo would be a direct replacement? He looked up the stereos of 05-06 and 07-09 and they are not plug and play. If you look at the panel where your cigarette lighter and power port are thats different from newer 07-09 and thats where the mp3/aux port is . Also the connections are different in 05-06, MP3 ports were an oversight for trucks till 07 ( Aren't we lucky ) The parts guy told me he could add an mp3 port from toyota for 350! I decided to start looking for an aftermarket deck with mp3 hookups that will allow me to use the steering wheel control. I think Kenwood and eclipse make those.
All 05 to 10 stereos are interchangable between years as long as you don't mix JBL with non JBL.

To be able to use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket deck you need an adapter like the one from PAC Audio.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
hey...I can change this!

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
so exactly how many stereo options were available? Why would toyota have a JBL and a NON - JBL 6 disc? Who makes the Non-JBL?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
so exactly how many stereo options were available? Why would toyota have a JBL and a NON - JBL 6 disc? Who makes the Non-JBL?
In the early years there was base non 6 disc, base 6 disc and JBL. I think they are all 6 disc now. I don't know who makes the head units.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
currently three.

1. 2011 Tacoma Non-JBL, single CD player made by Delphi, speakers look like a Panasonic design, haven't opened mine up to look, but on a previous Toyota with the same style speaker they were made by Panasonic
2. 2011 Tacoma Non-JBL, 6-cd player made by Panasonic
3. 2008 4 Runner (wife's non Nav unit) JBL 6-CD player made by Pioneer, speakers presumably by JBL. JBL with touchscreen/Nav was made by Eclipse (Actually Fujitsu Ten is the company name IIRC)

Why JBL and non-JBL? Because they sense a market that will turn a profit. For those with the Nav/DVD capability on something like a 4Runner (I presume it will play a movie, we have the 6-CD changer) the JBL system has a synthesized center channel and a sub-woofer of sorts - a sort of rolling 5.1 sound system like a home theater.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
In the early years there was base non 6 disc, base 6 disc and JBL. I think they are all 6 disc now. I don't know who makes the head units.
My 2011 Double cab, short bed, PreRunner, SR5 came with a non-JBL single CD player made by Delphi - previously owned by GM and split off years ago.

I purchased a non-JBL 6-CD changer from a fellow forum member with a build date of Jan 2011, and it was made by Panasonic.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbridges View Post
My 2011 Double cab, short bed, PreRunner, SR5 came with a non-JBL single CD player made by Delphi - previously owned by GM and split off years ago.

I purchased a non-JBL 6-CD changer from a fellow forum member with a build date of Jan 2011, and it was made by Panasonic.
So still the same 3 choices. I know that for 2011 the SAT tuner is built into the headunits.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
Air Force:
Quote:
So still the same 3 choices. I know that for 2011 the SAT tuner is built into the headunits.
Yeah, that is/was causing a problem for Grom, and maybe others, in adding an external iPod/Aux/USB player.

I know because I have a perfectly good Grom unit that I had to pull and install the OEM iPod adapter.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #17
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I forgot exactly, but its something like Fujitsu ten that makes the HUs. They also make Eclipse HUs, that's why the install on Eclipse HUs are plug and play (same thing for other Toyota and Lexus OEM HUs)
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
to revive an old thread since my new thread didn't get any hits...

I swapped the radio from a 2010 into my 2005 so I can at least play MP3s files off a CD-R but I would like to get an AUX plug hooked up. Since the 2010 has a "cd/aux" button, do I need one of those adapter things or is it simply plugging in a wire?

I found this for Corolla but not one that goes into the unused plug on Tacoma.

lbridges said he has aux in but still has the 12 pin spot unused.

Anyone have a pin diagram or at least a picture of the plugs/wires for an OEM unit with aux?

Maybe it's as simple as cutting the end off an aux cable and shoving L+, L-, R+, R- into the existing harness?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Someone that has a stock aux-in:

Can you pop it out and tell us how many wires are connected to it and what color they are?

Then, if you're still feeling nice, can you pull out the head unit and take a picture of the harnesses to find what pins the aux-in wires connect to?

This is the picture of my 2005 plugs connected to a 2010 head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
OEM Aux/MP3 Question-img_20140102_171800-edit.jpg   OEM Aux/MP3 Question-img_20140102_171907-edit.jpg