1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB radio help, loud interference with braking/ignition

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fire Force, May 12, 2011.

1. May 12, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    Fire Force

Fire Force [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad (mostly stock)
    Bull bar, UWS toolbox, Yaesu FT-8800R dual band ham radio
    Hi all,

I recently installed a CB radio in my 2010 Tacoma. Whenever I turn the truck on, it transmits a terrible screeching noise, and whenever I brake really hard (I think I read somewhere it's the "electro-hydraulic brake system" or some nonsense), it screeches the same way. Other CBers have said it's really bad so I've kept off the airwaves until I find a fix.

Pretty standard setup, Cobra 18 WX ST II, Firestick antenna, etc. Installed by a friend from my college who does CB and Ham radio. Two wires run to the battery, one grounded to a part of the frame (need verification if this is a good spot), coax runs out one of the holes in the body along the bottom of the truck to the bed, antenna mount drilled through the bed below the front bedrail. I think I probably voided the bed's warranty by drilling through it.

Here's some photos of the installation, sorry they are so huge I don't know how to make them smaller:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3rd picture shows the ground. The other two wires run along the engine compartment to the battery. The third ground wire just terminates at that nut. Not sure if this is the right place for it.

Let me know what I'm doing wrong and if there's any way to fix this. Thanks!
    Ian

2. May 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    that's a bad ground, i'm not quite sure of any perticulars without looking at it... but try running your ground to the batter lead (negative), as long as thats not too far away...

3. May 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    It's no big deal. I can just get some wiring and extend the ground wire to the battery.

I am eventually going to get a 2m radio in this truck and will probably replace the CB when I do that, so I want all these little kinks worked out now.

Thanks!

Additional pictures:

[​IMG]

Bad picture but you can sort of make out the AC drip line where I pushed the wires through. Note that they are obviously not IN the drip line but next to it!
    [​IMG]

4. May 12, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Also be sure that the nylon washer on your antenna is installed correctly. I put mine on backwards in corrolation to the metal washer and cancelled out my signal.
    The positive and neg wires from the cb itself need to be run directly to the battery And ground out the antenna on the frame somewhere in the back.

5. May 12, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    sambojee

sambojee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OffRoad
    Bilstein 5100 all around set at 2.5. 1.5 AAL in the rear. 265/75/16 Hancook Dynapro MTs on Black Moto Metal 951s. Black badges. Aftermarket grill. TRD seat covers.
    i would think its something with the intenna mount. Do u have a little plastic ring where the 2 metal ends touch on the mount? i have had problems with something like this and after i changed the mount it works perfectly now. (its hard to explain what that peice it, sorry)

6. May 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    The antenna is NOT grounded out on the bed, since there's hardly any metal to ground to. How would I go about doing that? I'm not exactly electronically-experienced.

I will go and look at the plastic washer on the mount and see if that's the problem.

The guy I bought it from had this exact same setup in his Dodge RAM and I believe it worked with no issues.

7. May 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i am experiencing the same thing. when i depress the brake pedal when the engine is running i get a loud 2 second squeel. but it only happens when the squeltch on the CB is turned all the way up. it really is terribly annoying. i have my CB power and ground wired directly to the battery and i have a non ground plane antenna. some other options that i have heard are to wire the CB to the fuse box using a fuse tap or make the ground wire as short as possible.

8. May 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    run a ground wire to the chasis somewhere under the bed.

9. May 12, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Will do. I'll see what happens and let you guys know. Appreciate it!

10. May 12, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Don't ground the antenna, ground the antenna mount. If you ground the antenna then it won't work at all for very long. Many people toss the "ground the antenna" phrase out there and most understand that they are actually referring to the mount itself but to make certain one really should clarify. For interesting reading I strongly suggest Alan's site as he really took the time to explain much of mobile communications to those of us that enjoy it but are still a little foggy on much of it. I'm a licensed amateur operator and I refer to his site all the time as it really is a wealth of genuinely practical information.

11. May 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    correct^^^

12. May 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Yes, when I ground it, I will run the ground wire from the actual mount, not the antenna itself.

Also, turned on the "Soundtracker" option and my signal is crystal clear with no transmitted squeal or anything. I'm still going to ground the antenna but I'm a bit pissed that I spent all this time screwing around when it was just a button that needed to be pushed.

13. May 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so, according to this guy, i have my CB wired properly which is both the poitive and negative wired directly to the battery, but i am still getting that massive squeel when pressing on the brake. he suggested using a split bead to further reduce noice from other electrical devices:
    http://www.k0bg.com/beads.html

it might be worth $25 to see if these would eliminate the noise:
    http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=288&PLID=182&SecID=152&DeptID=42&PartNo=DXE-CSB-275P

14. May 14, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Still haven't had a chance to ground the antenna mount, been too busy working to screw around with the truck.

With SoundTracker enabled, the squeal is definitely less noisy, but I still see the "TX" spike whenever I hit the brakes. The squeal only lasts for about half a second, though, instead of 2 seconds like it used to. Also, as far as I can tell, the squeal isn't transmitted to other CBers. I remember reading in a CB radio manual that SoundTracker is designed to help clear up both your reception and transmissions, so hopefully that's what's making it go away.

I bought a handheld Cobra HH 38 WX ST, and it receives perfectly from my truck now, so no complaints. I used it helping a friend move all his crap out of his apartment in College Station yesterday. Made the drive back to northwest Houston much more entertaining.

15. May 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    Fire Force

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Well, I grounded the antenna mount today, and it has eliminated most of the associated problems with my CB radio. Thanks guys!

16. Aug 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    I have issue as well but I checked all the grounds (power, cables and antenna mounts) and all checked out fine....
    *I'm attempting to run dual antennas but think that it has anything to do with it...

HELP will be much appreciated

17. Aug 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I'm assuming you're using the correct coax for a dual antenna setup. Maybe try and set it up with a single antenna if you have one or can borrow one.

18. Aug 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    yeah its the right coax (RG59)
    I dont think that dual antennas is the issue...

19. Aug 17, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Need more info. What radio, antennas and where? Grounds are good? Power straight to radio?

20. Aug 17, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    V5ioV

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    Uniden 680, 3' firestiks, RG59 Firering cables, power straight to positive terminal on battery and the very 1st ground point where the battery first grounds to (I also tried the neg terminal itself and a handful of other ground spots)
    The antenna mounts are also grounded as I checked the resistance with a multimeter (ohms) and the reading were 00.3 just as the other grounds on the vehicle...

The antennas are on hood hinges on Relentless brackets and the radio is inside the center console...

Products Discussed in

To Top