Notices

Bad amp/sub combo?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
JoshLV is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
JoshLV's Tacoma Gallery
Bad amp/sub combo?

Hey guys,
Just recently my setup has been giving me some issues. It started off by by sub going out when I turned the volume up too high, then it would kick back on when I turned the deck off then back on. Now the sub won't hit at all. I hooked another sub up to my amp and didn't get anything off of it, so I'm assuming that my amp is the problem. All connections are good.
I went to an audio shop to ask for advice, and they said that my amp and sub shouldn't go together????
I linked them below. Thoughts?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...S-W2502D2.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...KAC-9105D.html
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
The amp is under powering the sub.
its a 2-ohm sub. That amp should be fine for power. The amp puts out 900rms at 2-ohm, 500rms at 4-ohm.

edit: guess you noticed that after I quoted you haha
Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
its a 2-ohm sub. That amp should be fine for power. The amp puts out 900rms at 2-ohm, 500rms at 4-ohm.

edit: guess you noticed that after I quoted you haha
Yeah, I realized that after i re-read the specs.. I was like shitttttt, i feel like an idiot.

Who know's bring it to another car audio place get their opinion.. You might just have a lemon.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
mikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nicemikracer is just really nice
mikracer's Tacoma Gallery
Who wired up your subs? The sub looks to have dual 2 ohm voice coils, which can be wired down to 0.5 ohm. If your sub is wired down, then your amp wont work because its "only" 2 ohm stable. You may have blown a fuse in your amp, so check that as well.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #5

JoshLV's Tacoma Gallery
I wired it at 2 ohms. Also, fuses are fine. They were the first thing that I checked. I'm pretty sure the amp is the problem, but I'm going to measure the power coming out of it with a multimeter. What ranges should it be putting out?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Something doesn't sound right here. You have a dual 2ohm sub, so your single sub wiring options are:

o 1 ohm - coils wired in parallel, amp bridged
o 2 ohm - one amp channel to each sub coil
o 4 ohm - coils wired in series, amp bridged

If you are running 1 ohm you still might be overdriving the amp. I would try wiring the sub to 4 ohms and run it off the amp bridged. Also might want to check that the amp gains are turned way down. Then check if you're getting anything.

I've run into cases where amps that were advertised as being stable at a specified ohm rating were not when they were in bridged mode.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with ^^ here. You said you wired the sub to present a 2 ohm load which would be impossible unless you were only using one voice coil. Your options for a mono block amp would be a 4ohm load in series or a 1 ohm load parallel. If you only wired up one voice coil it could be getting too much power.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLV View Post
I wired it at 2 ohms. Also, fuses are fine. They were the first thing that I checked. I'm pretty sure the amp is the problem, but I'm going to measure the power coming out of it with a multimeter. What ranges should it be putting out?
Find a 50Hz tone and measure if it's putting out any VAC.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #9

JoshLV's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. I found the problem. After hooking up my buddies amp and sub to my truck, and them not working, I figured it was a power issue. So I started from the basics and checked out the breaker under the hood and it looked good at first glance, but the cable was put in there pretty weak so it wasn't getting a good connection. Problem solved.