1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace speakers and stock radio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by vtpats, May 19, 2011.

1. May 19, 2011 at 7:02 AM
    vtpats

vtpats [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    I just got my hands on a 2011 Access Cab, TRD Tacoma. I love the truck... but I detest the stereo and speaker quality. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Kenwood DPX-503 and put my Sirius SC1 in there with it. But that's the easy part. The speakers confound me. In my old 2000 Tacoma (RIP) there were speakers in the rear area. My new Tacoma has two speakers in the doors, two tweeters in the doors, a crappy sub-woofer in the back and exciter speakers in the ceiling I think. There are no speakers in the rear doors or rear area at all. I really can feel the front heavy sound because of this.

In a perfect world, I'd like to remove all the speakers and the subwoofer. I'd then like to pop in the Kenwood / Sirius, add new speakers to the doors, unhook the roof exciters and add two speakers to the back area.

So my questions:

1-Is this doable?
    2-If so, where is the best spot to put the rear speakers given there's no spot for them.
    3-Does anyone know what'll be left behind once the woofer is removed? A gaping hole... small holes? Is there a part I can buy to fix whatever left behind?
    4-Does anyone know what sizes the door speakers and tweeters are?

Thanks!

~Todd

2. May 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    doons

doons Active Member

Member:
    KANADIA
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 4X4
    in the front doors they are 6x9's...i am looking to upgrade too i didnt go trd ur lucky u even have a sub...lol

3. May 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    I put 6 1/2" components up front, new deck, and a solobaric kicker sub in the back. This set up sounds amazing. In an access cab changing out the rear speakers is kinda pointless. My stereo gets so loud that I feel like I'm damaging my ears. :headbang: Oh and it sounds CLEAN!

Products Discussed in

To Top