1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dampening + Noise Barrier

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fajitas21, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 [OP] XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Ok I've read through a good bit of CLD, CCF, and MLV posts all over about sound dampening and isolation for both outside and inside noise.

I know what I want, just not sure what I need to do to achieve it.

I have added a aFe cold air intake (more noise from front of truck) and a Magnaflow muffler (more noise from rear). I like the sound combo from the outside with windows down, and it's really not noisy when I'm not getting on the gas or towing alot. The magnaflow is doing great in the droning at hwy speeds department, meaning it's not really droning at all.

However, I'd like to improve my BT handsfree calling and some quality on the speakers, and possibly reduce road noise.

I have a TRD Sport (so 265/65/R17 tires), pretty quiet to begin with. I'll later swap them to Michelins when these wear out. That should help quite a bit on the road noise.

I'm not afraid to remove my seats and add some CCF and MLV under the carpets. I think this will help with road noise.

I want to put CLD tiles, then CCF, then MLV on my firewall and my rear wall. I don't think this will help with the CAI noise much, but I'm wanting to reduce the exhaust rumble some from within the cab.

Here's my question.

Ignoring the CAI noise, and focusing on road noise and exhaust, do I need to CCF + MLV the front firewall, then CLD + CCF + MLV the rear wall, and CCF + MLV the floor?

Will skipping the doors make a big difference in sound? I'm thinking they might resonate from the exhaust, so I'd need to at least CLD them.

Due to the nature of the project, and the time it will take, I'm going to do it in several parts, and I think I should do the rear wall + floors + firewall first, then doors later. Just trying to find out which seems to give the biggest bang for the buck with road noise and exhaust droning.

Finally, I am near Houston, are there any places to buy MLV local so I don't have to pay for shipping?

Thanks.

2. May 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I would NOT skip the doors but that's just me.

And certainly don't do this in stages. Do it once and do it right. I'd suggest stripping the truck the night before so you have ALLLLL day to do it when you wake up.

3. May 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    that a good ideal

4. May 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    The doors will give you the biggest improvement in your list. The firewall/floor already have factory deadener on them, as well as a "barrier" in the thick carpet pad + carpet. And the rear wall has a lot of bends to stiffen it, reducing the need for CLD as much. MLV is king there.

Like Steven said, do it all, do it once, and do it right.

If you havent yet, check out sounddeadenershowdown.com for more reading, and a great guy to do business with, if you choose.

5. May 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Ok thanks. I have read through Sounddeadenershowdown a few times already, great stuff.

Steven: That's a great idea. In fact, the only reason I was gonna break it up was because of time, not cost or desire to complete the job, but doing it the night before might be exactly what I need to get this done in a day.

6. May 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Once you get everything out it's a fairly quick progression to the end. If you don't plan on doing the headliner it's really not that bad.

7. May 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Thanks for the help, I was very impressed with you work on your truck and although it looks intimidating at first, I feel I can handle it. It's super helpful to have the detailed post you made regarding the install, I'm gonna have my iPad out there with that post up there as my reference guide.

8. May 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    I definitely back up what these guys have said already.

If you want to do it in stages, I'd do the doors first...it makes the biggest difference in these Tacos (it's what I had to do). As matt said, MLV very important...so don't skimp.

After the doors, I then ripped everything out and did the rear wall and floors. I also took the time to run all of my new wiring since the carpet/seats/center trim were all out...MUCH easier than trying to fish for it. lol

I just wish I could figure out how to get rid of the wind noise by the mirrors...although it doesn't matter as much right now since I've been driving with the windows down for the past couple months (what a long spring we've had)!!

9. May 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    I need to try to find a local place (Houston) to sell the MLV. Any one know of a good place?

10. May 27, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Gundy315

Gundy315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SB
    OME 885, 5100s, 3-leaf AAL, Camburg ball-joint UCAs, Moto Metal 957 (17x9; black), 285/70-17 Kumho KL78, color-matched grille w/ grillcraft mesh upper & lower, All-Pro rear bumper, Leather Seats, WeatherTech mats, JVC DDIN H/U (w/ BT, & Sat), Pioneer 6.5" comps, 500w amp & 10" sub,
  11. May 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Thank you. This should Dave on some shipping.

12. May 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    the arkitect

the arkitect I will gladly pay you on Tuesday...

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Balance the cost of shipping to the added cost of sales tax and gas to drive into Houston. Orange is about 2 hours away and with gas prices what they are right now, it would cost you more to get it from Houston. I would order the exact product you want and have it shipped, shouldn't be more than $40-$50 for shipping and you'll spend at least that in gas alone.

13. May 30, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    I work in Tomball during the week, which is about 15 minutes north of Houston. I'll check it out both ways to see what's cheaper. Shipping is easy but I'm not always home to get it since I'm usually in Houston.

14. May 31, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I was thinking the same thing about saving on shipping for the MLV, but I checked with sounddeadenershowdown and to CCF/MLV (already vibration damped) my 4 doors and backwall was about $175 for materials + $40 shipping. At that price, saving $20-$25 on shipping didn't seem worth finding/driving somewhere "local".

15. May 31, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
  16. May 31, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Fwiw, Secondskinaudio is doing a small sale. Last day for the holiday wknd. memor10 for 10% off any purchase. memor15 is 15% off 250 or more and memor20 is 20% off 750+.
    I was debating ordering up some mlv and vibration damper. Planning to do the doors and headliner on this truck.

17. May 31, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Btw, anyone who has done the doors w/ vibration damper. Have you had any issues w/ the door hinges? My last truck eventually had some issues closing cleanly, (I assume) due to the added weight from the layers on the doors.

Products Discussed in

To Top