1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions/Suggestions on my build for my 2007 DC

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by txtuffluck, May 29, 2011.

1. May 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    txtuffluck

txtuffluck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OR, V6 4X4
    So I'm wanting to replace the factory HU and speakers in my 2007 DC and would like some help from those of you that are more knowledgable. I'm not trying to win any SPL competitions, nor do I care to have my windows rattle and my ears bleed. I would like an in-dash NAV sys, and a SQ type sound. Here is what I'm looking at doing. Suggestions/Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

HU- I do want to use my iPod/Phone with the HU, and I like gamin NAV which leaves me with Kenwood. Are there still processor speed issues with the 2011 models? I recall reading a lot of negative reviews about the speed at which the GUI operates.

DNX6980 or DNX7180

Front Doors- Already ordered 6.5" HAT Clarus from MR. Marv

Sub is definitely a difficult one, I don't want to give up any space…I'm going to try and work a 6.5" sub into the center console. I need to do some more looking, but these are options.

JL Audio 6W3v3-4

Kicker 10CVT654

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/Imagine I6SW.pdf

e3.6 Subwoofer

I'd like to run a small Class D amplifier, at least 3ch if not 5 or 6ch so that I can add more later on(if I decide to) …I've been looking at the following

http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescription_pages/amplifiers/xxd-series/xxd4080.asp

http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescription_pages/amplifiers/xxd-series/xxd5080.asp

or

JL Audio XD500/3

JL Audio XD400/4

JL Audio XD600/6

I'm still waiting for a call from Second Skin so I can speak with them about materials to quiet the cab. Also going to try and get in touch with Rick at RAAMaudio.

SOOOOOOOOOO…..am I way off base with any of this stuff? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Johnny

2. May 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like you have the HU and front door speakers selected. As far as an amp, if you want a 5 channel, check out the Kenwood XR-5S.

If you want a sub that takes up no storage space, I've been seeing a lot of good reviews on the Sound Ordnance B8-PT. (Powered 8" sub) There's a guy on here that tucked it under his seat and says it sounds great.

I used Raammat on my front doors and it made a huge difference. Rick shipped it out very quickly and it was very easy to work with.

3. May 30, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Cuda444

Cuda444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Access Limited Bed Cover, URD Short Shift Kit, 25% Tint all around, WeatherTechs, Kenwood DNX-6160, 2 - IDQ10 sub, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, Mr.Marv Enclosure/Amp Rack, Morimoto Stage III Retro Headlights, Blazer Fog Retro
    I have the Kenwood DNX6160 and its awesome. No lag at all and the Garmin nav is second to none. I also just finished the install of my Clarus 6.5's from Mr. Marv and they sound great... I'm letting them break in a bit before the final tuning, but they are already amazing compared to stock. As far as a sub goes, I'm not sure what to suggest... I've also heard good things about the Sound Ordnance, but haven't personally heard it. I had Marv build me one of his legendary boxes and amp racks for the back wall. Fits like a glove and the build quality is superb if you're willing to sacrifice the space behind the seats. The Image Dynamics IDQ10 absolutely pounds for what it is, and sounds great, too. I also used RaamAudio ensolite and deadener for the front doors and back wall and it really is noticeable on the doors. My gripe with the stock doors was they felt like they were made from aluminum foil, the deadener really gave them some mass and now they feel like they should, along with behind much quieter. As soon as I can track down a digital camera I'll post some pics in a build thread.

Sounds like you're on the right track with this build. Good luck and have fun with it!

4. May 30, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top