1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommendation for radio communication

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by SoCalRoadie, May 30, 2011.

1. May 30, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    SoCalRoadie

SoCalRoadie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD 2wd Engage LT
    I'm looking into getting a communication radio for my truck. I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for. I went out with some TW members to Lucerne Valley on Sunday and they said they were on "Race/HAM - 151.625." I'm assuming 151.625 is the frequency? Also is there a difference between a CB radio and a HAM radio? Any recommendations on a good beginner radio and antenna combo?

Most of the A&V section is about stereos and antenna placement. So is there another section of the site to look for this kind of info? Any specific keywords to search for?

Thank you very much in advance.

Jim

2. May 30, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    steve103

steve103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    santa cruz ca
    Vehicle:
    07 taco
    arb bumper,bilstein shocks,886 ome springs,ar mojove rims,2optima batteries,custom electrial.on board air,cb,14gal frontrunner water tank,frontrunner roofrack
  3. May 30, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There is ABSOLUTELY a difference between HAM and CB-Broadcasting on HAM frequencies without a license can get you fined. Cobra and Firestix are some brands that's get thrown around a fair bit for basics. If you want to get into the courses/tests for HAM you'll learn alot more about how radios work and what you need for them to get the best performance.

4. May 30, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    SoCalRoadie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    If I understand Google... CB has pre-determined channels with pre-determined frequencies. HAM allows the user to dial in any frequency the hardware supports? So is it better to spend the time to learn HAM or do most people use CB off-road?

5. May 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    CB is easier- The radios are simpler because of the set channels and there is no license required. HAM gives you far more options to talk on-but requires the licensing-which has different levels depending on what you want to broadcast on what freqs.

6. May 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    151.625 Mhz is a VHF frequency very close in proximity to the Ham 2m frequency, but it's not HAM. It's allocated to "Business Band" or "Industrial/Business Pool" frequencies - also the "Multi Use Radio Service"

Here's some general info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band

Ham radio is cool and has some good capabilities. It's a little trouble (a Saturday or two) to get licenced but worth it IMO.

Many off roaders continue to use CB, however, since rigs are cheap and widely available, and no license is required.

7. May 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    kd8awe

kd8awe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rocky
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fog mod, 3" lift, ShoMe stobes, MicroLight LED Strobes, HiLift Jack, RCI 2950, Yaesu 8900r, 20% Tint, ScanGauge II, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, *** New Mod's (parts on the way) *** U-Bolt flip kit. Tom Woods 1 Piece Double Cardan Drive Shaft. 3* Axel Shims
    I have a CB and Ham radio. Check in you area for a Amateur Radio Club. They will be happy to help you get a ham radio license if that's what you want to do. It's not to hard to get. It (Ham) can be an expensive hobby. Most CB's have a range of about 10-20 miles. A ham radio can cover MUCH greater range.

http://www.arrl.org/what-is-amateur-radio

http://www.qsl.net/w5uk/ (Local club in The Big Easy)

8. May 30, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    hey Jim...

your best bet is to talk to the folks you will be wheeling with...

desert prerunning, you will find very few folks using CB radio as the range and clarity just isn't there when miles apart from other trucks can be broken down into a matter of minutes or less...

there are some standard business band frequencies that HAM radio can tap into that are used regularly in the desert, and in areas like Lucerne Valley and Barstow where racing goes on, it helps to have a race radio or HAM radio not only to communicate with the folks you are wheeling with, but to also monitor race teams that are out there testing and tuning their race trucks...

nothing worse than romping out there and not being aware that a trophy truck is out there speeding around...

if going the HAM route, it's best to get your license so that you can also tap into other frequencies and repeaters... if you just want a radio strictly for desert comms during races and wheeling, look into a race radio...

race radios come pretty much programmed with all the main race channels...

most desert wheelers get their race radios from www.pciraceradios.com

9. May 30, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Yeah this. After all, the point is to communicate right? You need to be on the same band(s) as the folks you want to talk with.

10. May 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    SoCalRoadie

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    I think there is a Ham Radio Outlet down the street from me. I see it on the way to work. Might give them a visit to see what it takes to get a radio and get the proper licensing for it. Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the info.

Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top