1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Sub Replacement/Modification

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rkdiddy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    rkdiddy

rkdiddy [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    OC Baby!
    Vehicle:
    '08 Taco DC PR
    Well last weekend I decided it was time to upgrade my factory JBL sub. My goal was to retain the factory look while boosting the performance.

I did a lot of searching around, but I hadn't come upon anyone that utilized the factory enclosure. So I decided I would try it. I pulled the factory box out and removed the stock sub. Interesting note - it is a dual voice coil sub. I then measured the depth of the box. After doing some research I purchased a 8" JL Audio sub.

While I had the seats and cubbies removed, I decided to Dynamat the back wall.

[​IMG]

Then I applied Dynamat to the stock enclosure, sealed the old speaker screw holes and trimmed a little of the inside of the box (to allow the JL sub to fit).

Next, I mounted the JL sub into the box and reinstalled it into the truck. After driving around for a week I was disappointed with the sound output. The factory JBL amp just didn't have enough power to run the new sub. A little discouraged, I remembered I had a Soundstream "Little Wonder" amp in storage.

I hooked up the Little Wonder and WOW it made a HUGE difference! I was never looking for huge bass, just enough to fill out the highs and mids. This sub definitely delivers!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Jlarios956, Jbrd609 and Bridge4 like this.
  2. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:22 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Looks good man! your pics are huge. Can go wrong with JL

3. Oct 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Did you get a W0?

4. Oct 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    rkdiddy

rkdiddy [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    OC Baby!
    Vehicle:
    '08 Taco DC PR
    ^ Sorry about that. I just made the pictures smaller.

It is a JL Audio 8W1v2-4. When I purchased it I wasn't intending to run an aftermarket amp, so I went with something with a smaller mounting depth.

I'm use to having 10" or 12" subs, so there is definitely a difference. However, I'm quite impressed on how great it sounds.

I'm just happy my "Little Wonder" is holding strong. I've had that amp for at least 7 years.

5. Oct 7, 2008 at 7:34 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Cant go wrong with the old skool SoundStream stuff. :) Wouldn't touch the new stuff though

6. Oct 23, 2008 at 9:11 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    +1 on the little wonder... great old amp

7. Apr 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    Nice job, what are the specs on the sub?

From the research ive done the oem jbl amp is 50 ohm rms at 2 ohm correct ?

Im thinking of doing the same but really dont want to add a amp. I just want more clarity not looking for more bass.

8. Feb 7, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Reviving a super old thread... I had 3 comp-level Rockford Fosgate T2 subs back in high school. I don't want or need that anymore.

However, I am thinking about adding a better sub to the back, in the stock sub box like you did. Where is the amp located? Under the driver seat?

9. Feb 7, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Amp is mounted to the factory sub box, you can see it in the picture, its the silver box.

Check the ohm rating on the factory sub, might be a 2 ohm load, so you will want to get another 2 ohm sub to replace it. If you dont, then the power output will be less.

10. Feb 7, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Yeah I know about ohms and watts RMS. Used to do lots of stereo stuff.

I'm thinking with how weak that amp is... no sub I replace it with will sound much better

11. Feb 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

According to JBLs website (https://www.jbl.com/toyota.html) the system is listed a 8 channel 440 watt amplifier.... but, it drives 7 speakers. Im curious if the 8th channel can be used.

EDIT: I am just now seeing you guys have second gen, the link I provided is for 3rd gen. Not sure if there is a difference or not in the amps.

xguntherc[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Maybe I'll just tear it open and look.

And technically, yes, if there are 8 channels on the AMP you can run all six speakers, then combine the remaining two channels for the sub.. and that's what I believe JBL and Toyota actually did here. @5nahalf

After Googling around, this is what I found out about the rear sub/amp situation. (for 2nd gen & 3rd gen) both!

Speaker Specs
    --According to Toyota documents this sub is powered by 2 channels. Each one operates at 2 ohms
    --Amp supplies a total of 110 watts (according to JBL's website) to both channels so 55 watts RMS at 2 ohms per channel

I'm not 100% positive on this. I do know that the amp has 440w overall, and shares that 440 between 6 speakers and the sub.

There are some decent shallow-mount 2 ohm subs from JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, or even kicker that could be decent direct drop-in replacements. They could use more power, but will still sound significantly better than what's inside the truck today.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any polk, sony, or pioneer subs.. nope. Instead, get one of the 3 I just mentioned.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    DiamondW likes this.
  13. Feb 14, 2019 at 5:30 PM
    DiamondW

DiamondW Stockblocker

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Gonzales Co. TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tundra, ‘14 GX460
    Does anyone happen to know the max top mount depth of the factory jbl sub box? I am away from my truck but want to order a replacement lol.

14. Apr 16, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    UnrestrictedPilot

UnrestrictedPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Double Cab
    How easy was it to wire up a new amp? I was thinking of replacing the stock one but didnt know how difficult it would be?

15. Jul 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM
    Jlarios956

Jlarios956 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josue
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen PreRunner
    Love your content bro! So this is all there the factory amp and sub are located?

Products Discussed in

To Top