Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Factory Sub Replacement/Modification

Old 10-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
rkdiddy is on a distinguished road

rkdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Sub Replacement/Modification

Well last weekend I decided it was time to upgrade my factory JBL sub. My goal was to retain the factory look while boosting the performance.

I did a lot of searching around, but I hadn't come upon anyone that utilized the factory enclosure. So I decided I would try it. I pulled the factory box out and removed the stock sub. Interesting note - it is a dual voice coil sub. I then measured the depth of the box. After doing some research I purchased a 8" JL Audio sub.

While I had the seats and cubbies removed, I decided to Dynamat the back wall.

Then I applied Dynamat to the stock enclosure, sealed the old speaker screw holes and trimmed a little of the inside of the box (to allow the JL sub to fit).

Next, I mounted the JL sub into the box and reinstalled it into the truck. After driving around for a week I was disappointed with the sound output. The factory JBL amp just didn't have enough power to run the new sub. A little discouraged, I remembered I had a Soundstream "Little Wonder" amp in storage.

I hooked up the Little Wonder and WOW it made a HUGE difference! I was never looking for huge bass, just enough to fill out the highs and mids. This sub definitely delivers!

Cheers!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man! your pics are huge. Can go wrong with JL
Old 10-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Did you get a W0?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
rkdiddy is on a distinguished road

rkdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
^ Sorry about that. I just made the pictures smaller.

It is a JL Audio 8W1v2-4. When I purchased it I wasn't intending to run an aftermarket amp, so I went with something with a smaller mounting depth.

I'm use to having 10" or 12" subs, so there is definitely a difference. However, I'm quite impressed on how great it sounds.

I'm just happy my "Little Wonder" is holding strong. I've had that amp for at least 7 years.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Cant go wrong with the old skool SoundStream stuff. Wouldn't touch the new stuff though
Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #6
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the little wonder... great old amp
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job, what are the specs on the sub?

From the research ive done the oem jbl amp is 50 ohm rms at 2 ohm correct ?

Im thinking of doing the same but really dont want to add a amp. I just want more clarity not looking for more bass.