Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #221
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscrev20 View Post
Hi all. I was wanting to know if anyone had figured out how to do it through the radio instead of the CD. I know that fbconver has posted the below and spoken about it before:

I took mine out and looked over the chips and found the Sanyo LC75010 DSP chip. Data sheet here: http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=LC75010 Would this be what I should look for? I may be willing to try it if someone can tell me what to look for and where to connect my wires. I'm not a novice at soldering, so I feel up to the task, just don't what to toast my radio either. Thanks.
I was really close to getting it figured out. but then way too many other things came up. I finally put it down after I completed my 2009 JBL Bluetooth upgrade (Link). I recently just moved to Portland but now things are finally starting to settle. I might be interested in trying to figure it out again. My 05' head unit is still just sitting in a box already disassembled. I could use some help on understanding that data sheet though. I haven't really looked at it. Unfortunately, the write up I found way back in the day seems to be a broken link now. It should be pretty simple still. Just determine what the Right and Left hand input channels are on the audio chip and solder your wire to them. Your post kind of got me thinking about this again so who knows.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #222
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Check out the diagram from the data sheet that pscrev20 posted.

The problem is the Radio Input could be an of those input channels. You might be able to trace it to the radio transformer but I am pretty sure it will almost require a trial and error approach. Unless anyone else has another idea. Since I have a spare head unit I wouldn't mind attempting this I just haven't had the time.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #223
pscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Philip
pscrev20's Tacoma Gallery
AUX by tapping the FM

I've figured it out. I'll post something as soon as I get it written up and pictures in order.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #224
It works if you work it.

Quote:
I've figured it out. I'll post something as soon as I get it written up and pictures in order.

Sweet I can't wait to see it!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #225
pretend this is a clever saying
brandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
brandonn's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod, works perfectly but I think I screwed up the FM radio. It's all static now, not sure what happened. Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #226
pscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sounds like you may have forgotten to plug your antenna back in. Happened to me first time I removed my Head unit. Double check that first.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #227
brandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant futurebrandonn has a brilliant future

Quote:
Sounds like you may have forgotten to plug your antenna back in. Happened to me first time I removed my Head unit. Double check that first.
Where's the antenna located? I don't remember seeing an antenna..
Old 06-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #228
If you check on the back of you radio, there should be a round plug on the left side. That's for the FM antenna. The cable is probably laying there in the dash, it's not attached to the wiring harness.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #229
Numbnutz is a name known to allNumbnutz is a name known to allNumbnutz is a name known to allNumbnutz is a name known to allNumbnutz is a name known to allNumbnutz is a name known to all
Name: Jason
Numbnutz's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished this mod. I have to say hands down it's the best $4 I've ever spent. This was my first time soldering also, after a YouTube video I was ready to go. Thanks to the OP for this write up.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #230

Quote:
If you check on the back of you radio, there should be a round plug on the left side. That's for the FM antenna. The cable is probably laying there in the dash, it's not attached to the wiring harness.
Wow, that was it. Coulda sworn I plugged it in. Thanks! haha
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #231
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
FM1 or 2? I'm waiting to do this mod until someone figures the FM override method.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #232
cbs5090 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Chris
cbs5090's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod 2 days ago and it was great except that I also have engine feedback and static when my charger is plugged it. Unplug the charger and it is crystal clear. Has anyone figured out a way around that? I might not be keeping a tab on this thread so if someone does, please shoot me a message so that it will hit my e-mail.

Thanks to the OP for figuring this out. I had to buy the soldering iron but the total project was $9. Crazy cheap compared to $200-$300 options.

Edit: Dug around through this thread and may have found the problem- http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...harging-3.html

It seems this item WILL stop the whining noise while I am charging. It was only $11 through amazon prime and couldn't hurt to have in the future:

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Ground-Iso...pr_product_top
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
FM1 or 2? I'm waiting to do this mod until someone figures the FM override method.
Hey everyone, I've got the FM override finished. I posted it as a new thread so it doesn't get confused with this one. Here it is:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post5324884

Enjoy!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
Check out the diagram from the data sheet that pscrev20 posted.

The problem is the Radio Input could be an of those input channels. You might be able to trace it to the radio transformer but I am pretty sure it will almost require a trial and error approach. Unless anyone else has another idea. Since I have a spare head unit I wouldn't mind attempting this I just haven't had the time.
Ok, Inputs are as follows for those who want to know:

AINRP1 (+), AINRPN1 (-), AINLP1 (+) and AINLPN1 (-) are for external 6 disc changer (I assume as they trace to the external connector and are balanced inputs).

AINRP4 and AINLP4 are not used.

AINRP3 and AINLP3 are for the built in CD deck.

AINRP2 and AINLP2 are for the FM Tuner.

This is for a Stock 6Disc changer in an 05 radio.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #235
It works if you work it.

Nice Work. I also updated my original post to include a link to your writeup. I am thinking I will have to give it a try when I have some free time.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #236
Jordanlawrence is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
Jordanlawrence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg589 View Post
Thought about doing this mod, but then I decided to pull the trigger on this:

http://youtu.be/nnhKkBp2Tmc

no way! how do you like it? I want to install it in an 05 tacoma.. how hard was installation and also how does it function
Old 07-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #237
bhai81 is on a distinguished road
bhai81's Tacoma Gallery
if only someone could find a way to harness the power of the cd changer port in the back.....
Old 07-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #238
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
subbing right Fucking NOW
Old 07-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #239
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Whoo Hoo! It worked (and I didn't have any screws left over) Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #240
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhai81 View Post
if only someone could find a way to harness the power of the cd changer port in the back.....
That is what the aftermarket units like the USA Spec and GROM devices do. Hard part with that one is tricking the radio into believing that the external CD changer is there. That would take a microchip and some programming I'm sure.

Products Discussed in this Thread