Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #261
scrub
terranova is on a distinguished road
terranova's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried this on the 1st gen? I can't seem to find any data on this anywhere.

As I type this, my truck is sitting outside with the center dash pulled apart. I found similar contact points on the bottom board of the CD player. Wired in my 3.5mm input cable and plugged everything back in just enough to test it.

Good news is that the head unit still works like it's supposed to (I didn't screw it up, yet). Bad news is that when I plug in my phone playing music, it just adds noise to the CD that is playing but the phone's music is still playing through the phone's speaker. Like it's not even trying to push it through the cable.

So close here, just need a little input. (no pun intended)

...I'm posting this anyway but the thought went through my head that perhaps my ground wasn't as good as I thought it was. I got over zealous to test it out. I'm sure my cable ground to the deck chassis is fine but I didn't bolt the deck to the dash, therefore not grounding it properly. BRB...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #262
scrub
Nope, wasn't it. But I did just see notice the post about the Galaxy S III not working with this mod. Guess which phone I was testing this with...

*Grabbing every portable player in the house and going back out for more testing.*
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #263
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
I hope it works out for ya!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #264
scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblack03 View Post
If I may make some suggestions to this thread...

It appears that the photos show 3-wire audio jacks, and soldering right onto the existing CD driver output to the input of the amplifier circuit. In the electronics world, you almost never want to do that. Bridging outputs together with not separation may eventually damage one of the sources. Hopefully it's the external player and not the CD driver. What you really want to do is find the audio input to the pre-amp circuit and use a 5-wire audio jack. You would interrupt the left and right channels to the pre-amp and route that to the jack. If nothing is plugged into the jack, the audio passes through and all is normal. If something IS plugged into the jack, the original source is disconnected and the external source is passed through to the pre-amp regardless of what input source is selected on the head unit.

Also, a LOT of your noise issues are going to be picked up by the unshielded, solid-core wire shown in many of the photos. You REALLY want to use stranded core, shielded auto wire for this. You'll want to ground the shield of the wire as close to the circuit board as you can. Sometimes you can file a bit of the radio chassis and make a solderable ground point. Make sure the ground makes it all the way up to the jack, and be sure the jack is not grounded to anything metal with it's mounting.

I'm planning on adding an aux. jack to my '03 radio soon. When I do, I'll post up pics and instructions as well...
Yup, it was the GS3. Nexus 7 worked fine.

However, as I finalize everything tomorrow and put it back together, I'll look into the 5-wire jack solution. That sounds a lot safer. I'm not interested in toasting the head unit or my N7.

Thanks for that, Backinblack03.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #265
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
Three music application isn't the problem, it has something to do with how the phone is sending the truck stereo. I can have the auxiliary cable plugged into the phone and the little headphone icon appears. It disappears as soon as I plug the other end into the stereo. I've been able to get it to work, I'll have to play the music on my phone, cable plugged into stereo then plug it takes into the phone, it started playing out one speaker, I then plug it in all the way and it comes out both speakers as normal. Bad thing is if I skip a song, get a text message or phone call (basically any audio interruption) it quits working and I have to do the process over again. Still looking into possible fixes
I hope you can come up with something, cuz I feel like I am jacking off my phone whenever I get desperate enough to try to make it work.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #266
scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
I hope it works out for ya!
Thanks, we're on the road to recovery.
I've taken a few photos along the way so that I might follow up to help out some of the 1st gen guys. So far, it looks pretty damn similar. I hope to find the 5-wire solution tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #267
scrub
Quote:
I hope you can come up with something, cuz I feel like I am jacking off my phone whenever I get desperate enough to try to make it work.
I wonder if you use one of those Rent-a-Shack I mean, Radio Shack inline-headphone-audio-boosters if it would help with the S3 issue?

I'm sure the 5-wire solution is the real answer though.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #268
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Did any of you guys check out pscrev20's thread? I believe his method used the 5 wire jack.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post5324884
Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #269
scrub
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
Did any of you guys check out pscrev20's thread? I believe his method used the 5 wire jack.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post5324884
Yes, I can't find the related resistors on my deck. Now I'm trying to find the audio input to the pre-amp circuit to use a 5-wire audio jack. Like Backinblack03 suggests. Perhaps it's the same thing but I don't know enough about it. It's starting to look like I might be stuck with the 3-wire setup for now.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #270
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I hear ya, I'm a mechanical engineer with basic circuit knowledge, not an electrical engineer. So while I understand what they are saying I don't think I could be much help unless I actually try to do it myself.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #271
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
...And I understand the electronics, but don't have the degree...! As soon as I have some free time to have a look, I will put together photos and instructions for the 1st Gen. radios. Or at least the radio that I have...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #272
pscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpscrev20 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Philip
pscrev20's Tacoma Gallery
Actually to take this mod and make it like mine would not be overly difficult (except you will still need a cd of some sort in the player). You would just need to removed the 2 wires that are coming from the CD unit to the point you all have been soldering to and wire them the constant side of the jack and the others from the output to the place the CD unit wires were soldered. I didn't take my CD player apart to verify this, but there should be a wired connection somewhere that you can do this.

See Picture below and wire like this:
  1. Ground
  2. Right to Head unit
  3. Right from CD Unit
  4. Left from CD Unit
  5. Left to Head unit

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #273
Benjamin Newman

I am working at my CD unit and I am having a hard time finding where I can break the circuit to add the jack like you did in your 5pin mod.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #274
Benjamin Newman

Good news for the Samsung galaxy 3 guys that want to use their phone with this mod! It can be done by using a variation of pscrev20's 5 pin audio jack mod.

Looking on the CD deck where the 3 wire mod was originally done, locate the two components labeled "L1 and L2."

Using a very fine tipped soldering iron and solder wick remove these two components. I ended up throwing these away. (They read 1 ohm on an ohm meter, and I tried to solder these in line with the out put wires on the jack. But that didn't work like I planned.) So I just omitted these and have had no problems.

Pins 2 and 5 get wired to the terminal closest to the plug, pins 3 and 4 get wired to the terminal farthest away from the plug. With pin 1 getting connected to ground.

With this done correctly, when you plug in the aux cable into the jack it disconnects the CD player output completely whether you have anything else plugged into the aux cable or not.

I think the galaxy s3 would see the output from the CD player and not recognize the deck as an output.

I hope this helps out!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-uploadfromtaptalk1349803725732.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-uploadfromtaptalk1349803799989.jpg  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #275
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
You guys really should be using shielded audio wire... Cut up some old headphones that have been sitting in a drawer having long lost their foam covers...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #277
scrub
Quote:
...I ended up throwing these away. (They read 1 ohm on an ohm meter, and I tried to solder these in line with the out put wires on the jack. But that didn't work like I planned.) So I just omitted these and have had no problems.
Omitted because they got jacked up and it ended up working anyway or because 1 ohm was so insignificant that it doesn't matter?

Not trying to bash, it's just that many of us that might be willing to try these mods are taking our own risks and don't know the reliability of the source.

Quote:
With this done correctly, when you plug in the aux cable into the jack it disconnects the CD player output completely whether you have anything else plugged into the aux cable or not.
Sorry again, just trying to clarify. I think it's just written a little funny but if nothing is plugged into the aux port, the CD player will still work, right?

Thanks for you time and effort on this one.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #278
Benjamin Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Omitted because they got jacked up and it ended up working anyway or because 1 ohm was so insignificant that it doesn't matter?

Not trying to bash, it's just that many of us that might be willing to try these mods are taking our own risks and don't know the reliability of the source.

Sorry again, just trying to clarify. I think it's just written a little funny but if nothing is plugged into the aux port, the CD player will still work, right?

Thanks for you time and effort on this one.
The resistors were omitted cuz I couldn't keep the wires attached to the wee little tiny things long enough to put some shrink tube on them. And frankly I was getting impatient. I am sure if you wanted and had enough forethought to buy some resistors from the rshack to replace them it would be beneficial.

I will admit that I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous so hopefully someone that honestly knows enough about that stuff can chime in and say if leaving them out is a huge mistake.

And you are correct, if nothing is connected to the jack, it plays the CD player.

I honestly think I was more lucky than good when it came to doing this mod. I just got desperate to not be stuck with listening to radio or the same CD's over and over
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-uploadfromtaptalk1349911844009.jpg  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #279
scrub
Quote:
...I know just enough about electronics to be dangerous...
I'm right there with you on that! Your mod looks good though. I might pull my deck back out soon to look at the feasibility of doing this on my 1st gen.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #280
scrub
At this point, I've done the 3-wire mod to my 1st gen and routed the aux port to the lower portion of the center dash. Right above the cigarette lighter, mounted vertically. That's so if I end up going with a aftermarket deck later, the aux port will be out of sight.

Should have posted these pics a week ago but I've been busy.

In order of photos:
1: front of my stock 1st gen deck
2: after removing faceplate, top, bottom and back metal plates. Remove CD deck and flip it over
3: locate the LCH & RCH contact points, remove ribbon cable to avoid damage
4: (sry the images don't show more incremental steps) solder LCH & RCH, secure ground under screw head, tape it and secure cable with zip-tie
5: another angle of my handiwork
6: route cable out the deck. I found that the hole in the RH side was unblocked when reinstalling deck back into the dash.
7: I also secured the exiting cable with another zip-tie. Make sure to reconnect the ribbon cable for the CD deck as you put it all back together.
8: I ended up mounting a port instead of using the pig tail. I chose this location so that if the deck gets replaced later I won't be left with a unsightly worthless hole in the dash. (The white cable is for another project and temporary)
9: just the sticker on the top of the deck, for reference

Must be on CD input and have a disc playing. As discussed in previous posts, you can get bleedthrough noise from the disc if it's louder than your aux input. Also if the aux is silent for a few seconds you might get blasted with a very staticy CD track and it's generally unpleasant. Since I use the Aux input 90%+ of the time. I downloaded a free program called Audacity and created an hour long silent mp3. Burned that to a disk, throw it in and set it to repeat. This allows me to pause my music without having to turn down the volume or turn off the deck. The most you get is a little 'pop' as it switches between the CD and Aux.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_183605.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_185637.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_185631.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_193153.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_193149.jpg  

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_193246.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_193412.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121007_134506.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_20121005_183600.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread