Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #301
lohrryan is on a distinguished road

Army: Ch-47 chinnok flight crew member
Name: patrick
lohrryan's Tacoma Gallery
ok so i removed my head unit again disassembled it re soldered both connecting put it back together double checked all the connections (when i took it apart they were all connected) and installed it and it works perfectly no static or bleed thru even when the trucks on and off and when charging my phone so im not sure it unpluging it or just re soldering the connections fixed it but i no longer get the error 3
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #302
drewgodfrey is on a distinguished road

Name: drew
drewgodfrey's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks looks somewhat simple
Old 04-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #303
esbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud ofesbyota has much to be proud of

Royal Canadian Mounted Police:
Name: B-Rad
esbyota's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully someone smarter then me can figure this out. Would you be able to wire something like this into the stock radio?

http://www.amazon.com/ASA-Electronic.../dp/B002ZNXX7C
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #304
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Its possible but probably not like you are thinking. You could cut the ends off the coaxials and individually solder them directly to the head unit like this mod shows. You would need to locate a power source to solder the USB part too if you wanted to be able to charge your device. Even then, you would not get any data transfer from the USB connection it would only be good for charging devices. Also note that you would probably want to use a PTC fuse of some kind on that power source to protect any device you plug into it.

If you are wanting a USB connection I would suggest looking at a isimple or grom unit that is designed to work with the stock head unit.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #305
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! I'm going to atempt this on the extra CD player I have.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #306
scrub
terranova is on a distinguished road
terranova's Tacoma Gallery
I did the mod several months ago and it's still working fine, but I've grown sick of cords. I folded yesterday and ordered an aftermarket head unit. It was just over a hundred bucks with the bracket, wire adapter and pocket. After this weekend I'll be streaming Bluetooth with my phone. It was a fun project but I would rather have a refined product and my time back. Just something to consider.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #307
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Going wireless is something I am considering too. My problem is I don't want to give up the stock look. iSimple came out with a handy little unit that would do everything I want but unfortunately it is not compatible with the JBL radio I have installed.

Since I moved to the big city this year (Portland) from a rural town in Idaho my dependence on GPS has exponentially increased. So, I'm considering updating to a Nav unit of some kind in the future. We'll see, I still think this is a fun mod though. I'm just remembering back when I first did it, I was pretty excited when it actually worked. It is a cheap, (relatively) easy solution to a problem and I think most people get the majority of their satisfaction from just being able to do it for under $5.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #308
MoreMonkey is on a distinguished road
MoreMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Cheap hardwired USB

Ok, so this is my first post here. I wired up the aux input and it is as easy and satisfying a project as I thought it would be. Took apart a cig lighter USB charger and wired it up also. Both are installed in the little coin dish on my console.

It made for a nice little project on my new truck. It's stealth and reversible and cost next to nothing.

I also installed a $25 Homelink unit from eBay in the headliner. It looks and works like it was a factory option.

And now that this aux input is done in the truck, I really appreciate the simplicity and ease of Bluetooth, streaming, and handsfree phone action I have in my car.

Bad cell phone pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-photo.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #309
It works if you work it.

I installed a home link unit in my sun visor as well. The visor was busted so I had nothing to lose taking it apart. It ended up working out pretty well. To run the wires I hollowed out the plastic L shape rod that mounts the sun visor to the roof. I like the USB charging port, looks like a clean install.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #310
scrub
terranova is on a distinguished road
terranova's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMonkey View Post
...Took apart a cig lighter USB charger and wired it up also. Both are installed in the little coin dish on my console...
Very clean, I like your jack location.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #311
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
Already did this on my 07 works excellent!! Neighbor saw me wiring it an wants me to wire or in his 04 Honda Accord, anyone know if the 6disc cd changer would also be able to be overridden if I found the left and right channels such as on this tacoma mod?! Need help please!!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #312
It works if you work it.

My guess is yes, but you are taking a risk. I am sure you'll be very careful but make sure your neighbor is willing to accept the risk. You might also want to google search it to see if someone else has already done it. One way to help you find the L and R channel inputs is to have a computer handy when you take the head unit apart. Type in the model number of the various chips you see in google to pull up their data sheets with pin connector diagrams. You can usually identify each chip pretty quickly that way. When you find the right chip the data sheet should have the L and R channel labeled in the pin diagram.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #313
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect thank you very much!!! I will!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #314
rbowman is on a distinguished road
rbowman's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod and it worked great! Only time I hear any interference is when I am charging my iPod while listening to music. Thanks for the write up!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #315
SWBTACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
SWBTACO's Tacoma Gallery
This is where i become challenged. It would be less brain racking for me if i just go buy a new radio and a dash kit. Haha imo.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #316
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
My friend helped me to this mod but he did it a way cleaner way with no cables sticking out. this is a inside view of the wiring

This is an outside view. I can just plug in the the calble

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #317
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. That's an awesome idea.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #318
jp05 will become famous soon enough

Navy:
Name: Juan
jp05's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod. Works like a charm. Awsome alternative to a $80 adaptor. thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #319
the bone man is on a distinguished road
the bone man's Tacoma Gallery
Did this today before a 13 hr road trip on Panasonic single disc, works great! THANK YOU!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #320
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Did this to my old stock cd player a few days ago. Simple and works great. Hardest part was putting it all back together. Its nice to go back to the stock look. Thanks for the write-up!

Products Discussed in this Thread