Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #321
rsdill2 is on a distinguished road
rsdill2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
I picked up this adapter at Fry's for $4.99, my Galaxy S3 now works with my stereo. I didn't have to open up the stereo again and add/delete any wires, same two pin mod as the OP. Total cost of mod still under $10

what kind of adapter is this? This mod worked great for me when I had the iPhone but just switched to a Galaxy S4. Radio Shack said he didn't have the right adapter. Got a link to buy one online? I'd rather not have to open it up again and resolder.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #322
mrburns05 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
mrburns05's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome! Got it done on my 06 non-JBL unit thanks to you guys, works great!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #323
Ian.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ian
Ian.S's Tacoma Gallery
Props to you FB for a great write-up and for keeping up with the thread for so long!

I have a 2010 but the stereo went bad, bought an 05 stereo for 30 bucks

Uuuunfortunately I didn't realize it didn't have an aux input. (That's what I get for buying it 2 minutes after I saw it)

I want to go your route on the mod and plug into the stock aux input under the A/C controls.

How did you remove the input jack from the '09 dash?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #324
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
it's been so long I am trying to remember how I did it. I think the first time for sure I removed the whole console panel that the Aux plug is installed in. you have to reach behind it to unplug the wire harnesses. Once the panel is removed I think there are two plastic tabs on both sides of the Aux plug. Press against them at it should pop right out. You could also try sticking a butter knife or something on the side of the plug to release the tabs. Just take your time though and if you are really concerned just play it safe and remove the panel.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #325
Ian.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to beholdIan.S is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ian
Ian.S's Tacoma Gallery
I got it! Got it all done and installed last night. Works so well!

Thanks man!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #326
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
subd to link 20
Old 12-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #327
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
17 years old, no radio/soldering experience whatsoever, did this mod in about 4 hours total. Yes, that's long, but I had to redo my solder joints. At first music only went through my driver side speakers..now all works but I get an "error code 1" and idk of my CD will eject... Idk what that is..?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #328
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTopp View Post
17 years old, no radio/soldering experience whatsoever, did this mod in about 4 hours total. Yes, that's long, but I had to redo my solder joints. At first music only went through my driver side speakers..now all works but I get an "error code 1" and idk of my CD will eject... Idk what that is..?
Did you leave the cd in while doing the mod? My guess is the cd is stuck. Sorry bro not positive though.

I think the manual says Error1 is a damaged or dirty CD
Old 12-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #329

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I did when I redid my solder joints, bad on my part, but I'll fix it today.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #330

I finally dropped the mod for a new double din unit with Bluetooth. No more cables!!! I have the old unit if anyone wants it. It's free, just need to get it somehow
Old 12-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #331

RE: Already modded FYI
Old 01-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #332
Future RN
Mountaineers11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Reuben
Mountaineers11's Tacoma Gallery
Question

This was my first time soldering, and I couldn't get the solder to stick to the spots. So I put everything back together, and now I don't get any sound out of my drivers side? I think that I may have got the lch and rch spots too hot. I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #333
Future RN
The sound only doesn't come out of the drivers side in DISC mode. Everything is fine on the FM setting. How do I fix this?
Old 01-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #334
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think you toasted it.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #335

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers11 View Post
The sound only doesn't come out of the drivers side in DISC mode. Everything is fine on the FM setting. How do I fix this?
Hmm, not sure that its completely done, that happened to me also - only in CD mode - I believe I redid my solder joints( yes a pita since it was my first time soldering) then hooked it all up and it worked. Mine said error code 1 and I broke the CD part entirely trying to stop that lol but I think that was because I left a CD in there when I redid my soldering. Tips: solder joints so they are not touching and then put hot glue on them so they stay. I got the modded radio from mrburns and that's what he did.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #336
Future RN
I'll have to try that hot glue when I open it up again. Hopefully that'll work. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #337
ashade07 is on a distinguished road
ashade07's Tacoma Gallery
It may not be toast.
First, I must say, this is a great mod. Just did this on my 05 with in-dash 6 disc changer. It looked just like the pics in the original post.

I used the cheap $4 soldering iron from harbor freight. The first time, I was getting no audio from the right side, in cd mode.
Ripped it back apart (goes alot quicker the second time). Reheated the solder joints. Check your ground. WHALA! Works perfect! All for less than $4.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #338
SeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeminoleTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: PO1
Name: James
SeminoleTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Just did the mod myself. Mounted the port on the bottom side of the radio on the driver's side. Works great and I love the results. It took me the better part of 3 hours and a few adult refreshments since I was taking my time and getting distracted. I have the non-JBL 6-Disc and plan on getting a Double DIN with Navi waaaaay down the road.

For those who only have sound on one side, check the solder and make sure the solder is making a good connection to the board where the little silver circle is. If there is a good connection, but you see a black circle around it, then you fried it. I had to use a magnifying glass to make sure everything was good.

TIP: Solder the LCH before the RCH. If you do the RCH first, you will be fighting it the whole time you are doing the LCH. May be different for you, though.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #339
MM Sailor is on a distinguished road
MM Sailor's Tacoma Gallery
I made an account because of this.

The mod is working great so far. All in all it took about two hours. My one spin on it is if you have a multimeter find a ground point on the circuit board and solder the ground to it that way you dont have to worry about grounding its all "tight"
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #340

MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Sailor View Post
I made an account because of this.

The mod is working great so far. All in all it took about two hours. My one spin on it is if you have a multimeter find a ground point on the circuit board and solder the ground to it that way you dont have to worry about grounding its all "tight"
Nice! and welcome

Products Discussed in this Thread