Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #341
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Sailor View Post
I made an account because of this.

The mod is working great so far. All in all it took about two hours. My one spin on it is if you have a multimeter find a ground point on the circuit board and solder the ground to it that way you dont have to worry about grounding its all "tight"
Welcome to TW, do you have any pictures of where you soldered the ground?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #342
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wesley
crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod on my friends 2nd gen non jbl, single disc head unit and it works great but the disc that was in it before we did it wont eject and we also get a message on the unit that says "Error 3". ANYONE know what it means or how to fix it? The mod still works though.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #343
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumf20 View Post
Just did this mod on my friends 2nd gen non jbl, single disc head unit and it works great but the disc that was in it before we did it wont eject and we also get a message on the unit that says "Error 3". ANYONE know what it means or how to fix it? The mod still works though.
I am assuming you forgot to remove the CD before performing this mod? I never got that error before but my guess is there is something that is jamming the eject mechanism. If it were me, I might try to remove the CD manually, but then you might ended up with nothing working. You could carefully disassemble it and make sure there is nothing binding in there first. Sorry I can't be much more help.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #344
s0lid is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
s0lid's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried using something like one of these bluetooth adapters with their DIY AUX port? http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Bluet...tooth+receiver

Just wondering if the AUX outlet would provide enough power for these to work. Some of the bluetooth receivers have a little power plug, but i'm more interested in one that would be powered solely by the AUX outlet. If so, this may provide an easy way to add bluetooth capability and clean up some of the wiring. You could maybe even mount the bluetooth adapter behind the dash somewhere or leave it in the glove box and just connect via bluetooth.

Also, would the CD player override this when its plugged in but not playing music?

I had a friend do this to his Tacoma a while back and when I tried my S3 it didn't work, but I since gotten a new phone and it looks like you guys figured some ways around the S3 issue. He sold his truck recently so I can't just plug one of these into his AUX outlet. I took another look at this forum and I'm very interested in doing this, but being able to connect over bluetooth would make this even more appealing for me. Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #345
crumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura aboutcrumf20 has a spectacular aura about

crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
Going wireless is something I am considering too. My problem is I don't want to give up the stock look. iSimple came out with a handy little unit that would do everything I want but unfortunately it is not compatible with the JBL radio I have installed.

Since I moved to the big city this year (Portland) from a rural town in Idaho my dependence on GPS has exponentially increased. So, I'm considering updating to a Nav unit of some kind in the future. We'll see, I still think this is a fun mod though. I'm just remembering back when I first did it, I was pretty excited when it actually worked. It is a cheap, (relatively) easy solution to a problem and I think most people get the majority of their satisfaction from just being able to do it for under $5.
So is there a way to turn this original mod into a wireless/bluetooth mod?? And is the quality of sound as good as the original mod?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #346
bhai81 is on a distinguished road
bhai81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lid View Post

Just wondering if the AUX outlet would provide enough power for these to work.
The aux outlet does not provide power. You will have to use the provided 1 x USB Cable to charge the device.

Quote:
Also, would the CD player override this when its plugged in but not playing music?
I did this mod couple of years ago, and it's great. I recently bought http://www.amazon.com/SMARTmini-Blue...ZX2CVESCM5VF4K , and the CD plays while my phone is not transmitting anything to the device.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #347
s0lid is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
s0lid's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks bhai81. So just to be clear, do you have to use a usb cable to power your goGroove? or did you mean to charge the phone?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #348
bhai81 is on a distinguished road
bhai81's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks bhai81. So just to be clear, do you have to use a usb cable to power your goGroove? or did you mean to charge the phone?
The USB cable is not required to power the goGroove, you only need it to charge the goGroove, it has an internal battery that according to their website "USB rechargeable with 6 hour playback.". I have the power cable connected to it all the time, I'm just afraid that it will die during my 30 min commute.

I also have another cable to charge my phone, which I also plug in as soon as I step in the truck.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #349
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Instead of going thru the process of installing a jack and all that, I just cut one end off a male-male audio cable and soldered it to the board of my 06 Tundra CD player.

The process basically consists of:
Removing the cdplayer from the dash
Disassembling headunit by removing 20-30 small screws
Separating CD player from control unit
Locating correct channel solder points
cutting the end off one 4ft 3.5mm audio cable, stripping the wires, soldering them to the board.
connect ground
reassemble cd player unit
reinstall

A CD must be in the player. When nothing is plugged in, the cd player works as normal. When I plug any audio source into the wire it picks up that signal and overrides the CD player output, giving you an aux input.

Their is no static or interference whatsoever except for when the phone is charging by the cig lighter. When not charging the sound quality is higher and cleaner then most CD's and is loud enough to damage the factory speakers.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #350
Professional bear handler
MTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MTopp's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #351
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Good news for the Samsung galaxy 3 guys that want to use their phone with this mod! It can be done by using a variation of pscrev20's 5 pin audio jack mod.

Looking on the CD deck where the 3 wire mod was originally done, locate the two components labeled "L1 and L2."

Using a very fine tipped soldering iron and solder wick remove these two components. I ended up throwing these away. (They read 1 ohm on an ohm meter, and I tried to solder these in line with the out put wires on the jack. But that didn't work like I planned.) So I just omitted these and have had no problems.

Pins 2 and 5 get wired to the terminal closest to the plug, pins 3 and 4 get wired to the terminal farthest away from the plug. With pin 1 getting connected to ground.

With this done correctly, when you plug in the aux cable into the jack it disconnects the CD player output completely whether you have anything else plugged into the aux cable or not.

I think the galaxy s3 would see the output from the CD player and not recognize the deck as an output.

I hope this helps out!
And boom. I did this mod last night thanks to these pics. OMG these pics make the connection points look relatively big...these things are microscopic, lol. But after much screwing around, I got it done.

I also left out the resistors, actually I used a small needle nose pliers to break them from the circuit board rather than unsolder them.

Thanks to you guys for figuring this out!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #352

crumf20's Tacoma Gallery
This radio is from a 4runner and i found what i think is the correct Left and Right channels but im not sur ewhich set it is!!?? ANy help please is it the pair that says "L", "R", or "L CH" and "R CH" Please Help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-img_5540.jpg  
Old 06-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #353
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
L CH & R CH
Old 09-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #354
fire03 is on a distinguished road
Name: matthew
fire03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
This kind of defeats the purpose of this write up... but if you like what you see here only you don't trust yourself, I found this website that will add an aux plug for $55+$14 shipping.

http://factoryradioservice.com/toyot...nput-p-59.html
do you know anyone who has used them? i'm not real savvy when it comes to electronics and this seems like a pretty good deal. thx!
Old 11-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #355
TacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaCowgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Liv
TacomaCowgirl's Tacoma Gallery
just bought my 07 and wanted a quick fix to make it look less stock: Gotta love spray paint
Old 11-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #356
Atskune is on a distinguished road
Name: Kenny
Atskune's Tacoma Gallery
Worked Like a Charm Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-imag0025.jpg   Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit-imag0026.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread