Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #41
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm early in the process... Got radio out, got top plate off, but cannot figure out how the face of the unit comes off? On large tab on each side, and three across top. Cannot get bottom undone, again the face of the radio. Help!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #42
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got it!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #43
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
I remember it was tricky to get the bottom part off. I used a flat screw driver. What eventually worked for you? The first time I did it I think I also removed the clock and hazard button assembly as well, but that turned out to be unnecessary.

Good luck with the rest of the Mod, if you have any questions just ask them here.

Another thing I might not have been too clear on is make sure to fix those wires so there is zero stress on the solder points. I wrapped mine around the small cut on the inside of the frame holding the electric board. Whatever is clever though, just make sure if someone or something hangs up on the aux cable the solder points don't absorb all the force.

And of course take lots of pictures and let us know how it goes .
Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #44

I ruined the lhc and rhc solder points. I'm terrible at this... So, are there any other points to try (and hopefully not ruin?) ugh.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #45

Ah well, all back to normal and radio working fine. Should've left it for someone with better than kindergarten soldering abilities...
Old 06-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #46
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
That would be interesting because who uses FM2? .
FM1 is for me
FM2 is for the teenage daughter
Old 06-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #47
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this write up ,OP , this will save me several dollars from buying an adapter. Just proves how much you can learn from this site and so many things that you can do with a Tacoma!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #48
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks for this write up ,OP , this will save me several dollars from buying an adapter. Just proves how much you can learn from this site and so many things that you can do with a Tacoma!
No doubt! There is some much good stuff to find on this site!

Quote:
I ruined the lhc and rhc solder points. I'm terrible at this... So, are there any other points to try (and hopefully not ruin?) ugh.
Sorry I was really busy this weekend. There are more solder points. you can follow the ribbon cable to the other board and solder to those points. I am sorry you had some much trouble with it. Did you check out the video I posted about soldering? What exactly went wrong?
Old 06-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #49
GMRAABE is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Electronic Warfare
GMRAABE's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Mod!!! I did it this weekend. Works great. I was so impressed that I also did it to the family '05 Sienna.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #50
It works if you work it.

Quote:
Awesome Mod!!! I did it this weekend. Works great. I was so impressed that I also did it to the family '05 Sienna.
So the Sienna had similar looking insides? I have been wondering about some of the factory jbl head units in other toyotas. I want to get a 09* bluetooth head unit but they are just priced too high at the moment. I have found ones out of other models of toyota though for around $50. I am just curious if they would plug into the front face of the tacoma head unit. I know for sure it would have to be out of another JBL toyota system.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #51
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
Just completed!!! Reminder- Take your CD's OUT before pulling it from the dash! I got mine apart and saw 2 CD's inside , thought no problem......Did the MOD - plugged the connections back up and my CD's were off track - had to take 2 screws out of the top (thankfully) and push them over with my finger and they went right on track!! Didn't even have to unplug it.GREAT POST!!!!! OP-Rep+1
Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #52
It works if you work it.

Quote:
Just completed!!! Reminder- Take your CD's OUT before pulling it from the dash! I got mine apart and saw 2 CD's inside , thought no problem......Did the MOD - plugged the connections back up and my CD's were off track - had to take 2 screws out of the top (thankfully) and push them over with my finger and they went right on track!! Didn't even have to unplug it.GREAT POST!!!!! OP-Rep+1
Thanks and great advice too. I added it to the OP as the first step to removing the Head Unit.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #53
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any static? I think its because my cd that's playing is trying to bleed through. Though my cd is dragonforce and the sort.

Please pardon any spelling mistakes or non-sensical BS. This message is sponsored by my iPod touch.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #54
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Anyone have any static? I think its because my cd that's playing is trying to bleed through. Though my cd is dragonforce and the sort.

Please pardon any spelling mistakes or non-sensical BS. This message is sponsored by my iPod touch.
Would it work if you put in a blank CD?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #55
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
glad my truck came with this set up cuz i do not have the balls to do this. ha nice write up!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #56
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Maybe not a blank one but one that's "blank". Something calm or if I were to lower the levels on the song. I'll be trying it.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #57
It works if you work it.

Quote:
While I was testing this mod with the stereo out I got static. I looked at my connection to the head unit and realized my solder connection between the LCH and RCH to the wires was coming undone. I determined that because the wires were not secured and I had been moving the head unit around a lot, it had slowly broken down the solder joint. I re-soldered the the LCH and RCH points to the wires and secured the wires by wrapping them around the Head Unit Frame so then reinstalled the head unit and I have enjoyed crystal clear sound ever since.

One cause and effect could be your solder joint. if it is coming loose then the CD may be coming through when the connection to the input jack is broken. Check to make sure you have a solid solder connection, my guess is that is the cause of the static.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #58
LRGRNR

I'll double check the solder joint.. I used silver solder and wrapped the wire round the frame. Maybe vibrations are starting to break it loose..

Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM   #59
GMRAABE is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Electronic Warfare
GMRAABE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
So the Sienna had similar looking insides? I have been wondering about some of the factory jbl head units in other toyotas. I want to get a 09* bluetooth head unit but they are just priced too high at the moment. I have found ones out of other models of toyota though for around $50. I am just curious if they would plug into the front face of the tacoma head unit. I know for sure it would have to be out of another JBL toyota system.
Sienna was a bit different. Found the RCH and LCH points on the side of a transistor on the main board. It works exactly the same, except with the tape deck instead of the CD player. It is a much cleaner & stronger signal than using the stupid tape adapters.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #60
Because I can
JoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to beholdJoeRags27 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Joe
JoeRags27's Tacoma Gallery
Doing this mod today!! So psyched this is going to be a cheap lifesaver will take many pics!....Single Disc Non JBL unit on my 08 Base Reg Cab 5 lug

Products Discussed in this Thread