1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap Mod: DIY AUX Input in a 2005-2008 Factory Head Unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fbconvert, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    ***Edit: If pictures from this first post are not loading just hit refresh they should download on the second try.***

***UPDATE: An alternative to this mod has been posted by TW member pscrev20.
    Before committing to this mod I recommend reading his post as well.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...stock-head-unit-overrides-fm.html#post5324884

I wish I could take credit for coming up with this mod, but my source of inspiration came from TW Member wljohns (his thread).
    Here is the basic outline of this post.

Introduction
    o What is this mod and why do I want to do it
    o How this mod works and its basic functions
    o What are the limitations of this mod
    Materials & Tools
    o Input jack
    o Solder iron and solder
    o Wire
    o Other handy tools
    Procedure
    o Removing the head unit
    o Disassembling the head unit
    o Wiring the inputs
    o Re-installing
    Conclusion
    o Final thoughts

Introduction

So what is this mod and how can it benefit your undoutable, overzealous, love affair with your truck? Well back in my younger days of aught five (2005), MP3 players and other musical devices were very popular, and their popularity was growing exponentially to the point that no one between the age of 3 and 65 didn’t have at least two in their immediate
    possession at all times (Pardon my slight exaggeration). However, Toyota and all their wisdom would not foresee the benefit of an aux input for another four years. This meant that everyone with a second generation Tacoma from years 2005 to 2008 would have to resort to some aftermarket adapter or worse, an FM transmitter. Well this Modification is intended to save you from the ultimate demise of an FM transmitter, or at the very least keep you from spending $50-Plus on an aftermarket adapter.

In a nutshell the mod works like this: it taps into the left and right channel of the CD player output and overrides it. This means that you have to select the CD player as the source of the audio. As long as you do not plug in any device into your new aux input jack the CD player will play as normal. Once you plug in your audio device it immediately overrides the CD player audio (disabling it) and switches to whatever is coming into the aux input. As I tested it the sound quality is equal to any aux input I have ever used. Even though your head unit will display will look like it is playing the CD, there is no faint overlap of sound coming from the CD, only the Aux input, and it is crystal clear (exited yet?).

Here are the basics:

Benefits

• Modification Cost: $4.00 (depending on what tools & supplies you already have)

• Adds a universal mini 3.5 (headphone Jack) AUX input that will work with any audio device designed to be used with headphones.

Limits

• The unit I did this mod on is a 6 disc JBL model out of a 2005 double cab TRD sport. From wljohns post, which I referenced earlier, it appears he did his mod on a single disc non-jbl unit. Between the pictures from wljohns’s post and this post you should be able to figure out how to apply this mod to your specific unit but of course all of this is at your own risk.

• Like I mentioned above this mod taps into the CD player. This means you must select the disc source as the input. Not sure about other units, but the only way I can activate the disc source is if I actually have a disc in my receiver. Maybe someone smarter than I can figure a way to enable selection of the disc source without a disc actually in there, but for now I will just except this.

Materials and tools

Input Jack

You will need an input jack much like I have pictured below. It cost me just less than $4 after tax at my local radio shack (And they come in pairs so you can slit the cost with your other Tacoma buddies if you are really cheap).

[​IMG]

Solder iron and solder
    I already had this stuff but I am sure you can pick it up pretty cheap. I am just assuming this so maybe I am wrong, but if you have made it this far in my post I am willing to wager that you already have these tools at your disposal as well. If you don’t then I might suggest reading up a little on how to solder and what all goes with it. Don’t let me scare you away from this mod, there is nothing complicated about soldering. I am just giving this word of caution for those out there who don’t have a clue. The CD electric board is delicate, if you are not careful you could potentially short out the board or overheat it, thus making useless even as a boat anchor (it might work as a door stop or paper wait).

Wire

Don’t ask me what gauge I used because I don’t know. I just had some extra wiring lying around that was approximately the same size as that of a typical pair of headphones. If you go to large it will be hard to solder it to the CD electric board. The length you need will depend on where you wish to mount your Aux input.

Other handy tools

A pair of wire cutters, a drill, flat head screw driver, small and large Philip’s head screw driver, a 10 mm socket and wrench. This is going to sound a little wired but… a picture of Sylvester Stallone’s character “Rocky”, a bag of Cheetos, and two (2) Dragon warriors might also come in handy (you never know).

Procedure

Finally the good part with lots of pictures! I have to give the basic disclaimer just because I don’t want people flaming me later that theirs didn’t work. Bottom-line this is my approach, it may not be the path of least resistance (Pun intended even though there are no resistors in this mod) but it worked for me, and I hope you have similar success.

Removing the head Unit

Edit: (recommendation from
    bama trd) Make sure all CD's are removed from CD player.

Begin by bopping off the climate control… control nub things.

[​IMG]

You now should have access to the bolts that mount your head unit to the dash. Use a 10 mm socket to remove all four of them.

[​IMG]

Now gently remove the head unit from the dash while unplugging all of the wiring harnesses.

Disassembling the head unit
    Look carefully at the head unit. In general, every screw you see will need to be removed. Keep track of all of them or you will end up like me with some left over when you are all done. I suggest starting with the four screws that attach the CD player to the front face. I will try to remain consistent in my pictures so I will show screw locations with red arrows and tabs locations (or anything requiring a little force) in blue.

[​IMG]

Also remove the two top screws, pop the front tabs, and then remove the top plate by carefully lifting from the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not have a particular order of operations for this next part. Just start removing all the screws until you have removed all of the surrounding walls of the CD player. Don’t forget about the ones in the front. Take special note of how everything is put back together because I do not include any reassembly procedures.

[​IMG]
    Front of CD Player

[​IMG]
    Bottom of CD Player

[​IMG]
    Side of CD player

Eventually you will get to the guts of the system. I don’t know what all the other units looks like and since this is a JBL head unit, your insides could look very different. Remember wljohns Post, he has pictures of a different unit there. The next step I took was separating the actual CD player from the amp board by gently pulling straight out on the two wire ribbons.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

Next I removed the insulation plate attached to the CD player. You will want to remove the other end of the two wire ribbons at this point to expose the screws mounting the insulation plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then gently lift the insulation plate and set it aside. In the next image I will circle the part where you need to solder. Here is my tip for people with other unit models: The left and right channel inputs are near the connector of the wide wire ribbon on the CD player side. They were labeled LCH and RCH respectively. I am assuming that the other units are labeled similarly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of both my left and right input wires soldered to the points above. Be careful not to overheat the board or short circuit anything. You want a good strong connection or else you will get static when you plug in your input. Notice how I wrapped my wires around a solid point on the CD player to protect the connections. There is zero clearance for wires on the back side of unit (top of picture below) but there is a little room on the right side of the unit (right side of picture below).

[​IMG]

At this point you are ready to start assembling everything back together. Don’t worry about soldering the input jack yet just leave the blanked off ends hang until you figure out where you want to mount your input. You will also need a ground as well. You have several options for ground but I can’t guaranty any of them except the one I used. The funny thing with grounds is I know it can pick up noise that may require a filter. I grounded mine directly to the head unit pictured below using the insulation plate mounting screws on the wire ribbon side and there is no noise what so ever, even when the car is running.

[​IMG]

Re-installation
    I am in the process of resurrecting a salvaged Tacoma which involved replacing the entire dash. The only dash available at my local salvage yard was out of a 2009 Tacoma so it came with a factory input. I actually tried to wire it in the same as it is wired to the 2009 head unit (only i still have my 2005 head unit) but it did not work which is why I did this mod. These next few pictures is how I mounted my input so it appears stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion

So there you have it. A clean install of an aux input. You could get really creative on how you want to mount your input. There is room on the front face of the head unit or you could tuck it somewhere under the dash, it is up to you. Maybe you would like to rout it to the inside of the center console? So far I am really happy with this mod which is probably why I put so much time into this write up. If you do try to do this yourself, I hope you will post pictures and give some feedback on your success. Feel free to post any comments or questions, I will do my best to respond.

Good luck!

-FB

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
  3. Jun 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    nice write up and some big balls to pull it off!

Freeheelbillie likes this.
  4. Jun 9, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    +1 rep... Great write up, as I have very little electrical prowess even I may try this myself. Nice job!

Freeheelbillie likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. You really should try it for yourself, just take it slow and as long as you are careful with your solder not much can go wrong. I think I might try to post a video of how it works a little later. I figure a lot more people would be willing to try it after they see how well it really works.

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    06tacomaprerunner

06tacomaprerunner the foreigner

Member:
    B. C. Mex.
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 dbl cab shortbed, r
    BILSTEIN 5100, 1/4 inch wheel spacers,removed front mud flaps, 285/70/17 bfg mud terrain km2 and a lot of scratches in front and rear bumpers
    :eek: nice work!!

7. Jun 10, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
  8. Jun 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I was skeptical, but it worked great. :yay: Thank you so much for making this write up. It saved me a lot of money because i only wanted to buy an aftermarket head unit to get the aux input.

now i just need to find where i should mount the jack.

It is not hard at all. It took me a little over an hour (including removing and reinstalling the head unit in the truck).

9. Jun 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thats great! I am glad I could help. What kind of head unit do you have? It would be nice to see some pictures of other models to compare their differences.

10. Jun 13, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    TheHansen

TheHansen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    I have a 6 disk non jbl hu. It looked exactly the same as the pictures you took. I didnt take any pictures, i would have had i noticed anything different from yours.

The metal peice that you ran the wires through is the only part of the case that i had to remove to take out the cd player. The screws in that piece and the side plates are all i removed. Once the all the screws are out you have to shift the side plates a little bit to unhook them from that back piece pictured.
    [​IMG]

The only thing i did different was i grounded it to one of the screws on the case on the outside, because i forgot about the ground until i had it all back together.

11. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    poynter

poynter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Somerset, KY
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 4x4 SR5 TRD AC
    This is now on my to-do list. thanks!

12. Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Definitely on my list. Where are the pictures?

EDIT: Firefox was retarded and didn't load them...

13. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    Nice. Thanks for the write up and the pics for sho'.

14. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Make sure to take pictures, especially if you have a different head unit. You can also see that pictures from wljohns post I think he had a single disc non-JBL type.

I apologize, its not just you, sometimes they don't load for me. I just have to hit refresh to make them come up though, (I have always used firefox). I think I need to come up with a different hosting site, the problem is I am very limited by my proxy server at work (photobucket is a no go). I can just use TW but it is limited and kind of clunky IMO.

You could probably also get away with grounding the wire to the frame of the truck but I was just concerned about noise or interference, what you did is totally acceptable (obviously). Also that is cool that the Non-JBL 6 disc is the same.

15. Jun 13, 2011 at 7:53 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Mines a single disc non-JBL Headunit so I will be taking pictures.

I usually use Google Chrome but the Developer version is acting stupid with TW and some other sites. Might try Imageshack.us, not sure if that will work around your proxy or not but it's worth a try.

16. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Have the mods sticky this

17. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Good deal! It would also be nice if people posted where and how they mounted their aux input just to share some more clever ideas.

Ultimately, I would like to find a way to be able to select the input without having a CD playing in the background but for now I am very happy with this mod.

It might fit well in the sticky Audio/Video Tips, Mods & More But I should have the wife proof read it for me if that ends up being the case :eek:.

18. Jun 13, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    by the way I tested Imageshack.us and it is blocked as well.

19. Jun 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Done pictures to come, this mod works great!

20. Jun 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    This is an amazing mod, works perfectly and the sound levels are the same as the cd player itself.

IMG_7838_ade60c881e326fb9480f01933b1044d8575cc8a5.jpg

IMG_7840_f65ea5c99de2b4f5703e093acd92098ae0d8d4ef.jpg

IMG_7841_43630d4365fbc057b400b9e89b3b36969c9886ec.jpg

IMG_7842_7335bc187a2eaecfda62a7bca57b1854f6d02bce.jpg

IMG_7848_a6192b76e8182baa7f11d1b74e6c71b855c776bd.jpg

Here are the RCH and LCH points, they are labeled on the "floating" part of the CD drive. I didn't want to solder the wires here so I followed them over the ribbon cable.
    IMG_7849_5a8d5a90f5bee260a5749551f761208769d9b434.jpg

IMG_7852_ae8040920a89f28d4b24c83601a1241960f48791.jpg

IMG_7855_76e80549a56414c20dbcd22fbeea2b3285d3502f.jpg

IMG_7856_4d664c169861cc76872c5cc5ba9fb52f9e87fc7d.jpg

IMG_7862_9200950a6fe1c4ca6b507da976ee2ab38e7ce5d5.jpg

More pictures here: http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg219/Sandman614/The Tacoma/Mod Podge/

Products Discussed in

To Top