Notices

good factory replacement speakers 2011 dcab (non jbl) with aftermarket HU

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
toddt is on a distinguished road

Name: todd
toddt's Tacoma Gallery
good factory replacement speakers 2011 dcab (non jbl) with aftermarket HU

I have a 2011 non-JBL tacoma with a kenwood 6960 deck.

I am thinking about swapping door speakers... Does anybody have any suggestions? Im not looking to add an amp.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Check amazon, too. They sell HU/speaker combos a lot for cheap.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

toddt's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I just don't really know how to shop for the speakers. I dont want to wire in an amp, so that leaves me with a head unit that is 4x50w ... So look for speakers that don't require over 50w?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
That depends on how loud you want to play your music.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
I guess I just don't really know how to shop for the speakers. I dont want to wire in an amp, so that leaves me with a head unit that is 4x50w ... So look for speakers that don't require over 50w?
4x50 max not RMS. The RMS number is more important since that is constant power. Pioneer, Alpine, Polk, Infinity and Boston along with many other make good reasonably priced speakers. Component speakers can get pricey and they almost always require an amp. You can stick with the stock 6.5" size and get great sound. For a bit more bass you can run 6X9" speakers up front. You will need speaker adapters and harnesses. Crutchfield usually includes everything for free.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
ratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shedratrod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ratrod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
4x50 max not RMS. The RMS number is more important since that is constant power. Pioneer, Alpine, Polk, Infinity and Boston along with many other make good reasonably priced speakers. Component speakers can get pricey and they almost always require an amp. You can stick with the stock 6.5" size and get great sound. For a bit more bass you can run 6X9" speakers up front. You will need speaker adapters and harnesses. Crutchfield usually includes everything for free.
What he said. Look at the RMS. You can get "high watt speakers" with a low RMS and will suffer in sound. I didn't buy the best or most expensive speakers, (rockford fosgate - who where the "shit" back in the day! But now not so much.) Got them on amazon for super cheap read a lot of really good reviews about them, researched, and I think they got a nice sound and lower bass response. Now if your a sound snob I would go for higher end and get an amp. The best thing is that they are simple plug and play when you get the speaker adapters and speaker harness. The tacoma door panels take like 2 minutes to remove, thanks YouTube and tacotunes!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
kristonex is on a distinguished road

kristonex's Tacoma Gallery
I just finished my system a couple months ago. I used some JL Audio TR690-TXI's up front and i really like them a lot. I have used JL subs over the years but never had any of their smaller stuff. I'm really impressed with them and I install systems pretty frequently on the side for people so I have heard plenty of different branded 6x9's. They are powered with a kenwood KAC-8405 amp. They have good bass and very clear mid's and highs. Whatever you decide on you get what you pay for. And I wouldn't order anything from crutchfield. prices are ridiculous + the money you save shopping elsewhere will easily buy you whatever crappy install products they give you.

I like sonicelectronix or amazon.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
dgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to beholddgalleon is a splendid one to behold

dgalleon's Tacoma Gallery
i really want to be able to play my music louder and be clear without any distortion.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
OneLife
garys05tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
garys05tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
reply about upgrading speakers

Crutchfield is good at matching speakers with stereo's. You don't have to buy them through them but they will give you good advice most of time. I looked up your model #: 22 watts rms(means continuos power). 50 watts maximum (may go up to 50 watts max). You don't want to buy speakers that can handle a lot more power than what you have. It will sound like shit and worse than stock.
I can turn my stock radio full power and still sounds great. If you can do the same don't waste your money (just wait until they possibly blow someday).
You really see a difference when you add an amplifier; it is a whole nother world. If your trying to get some crazy louder sound or really good bass you'll need an amp. I'm considering putting a 10" sub w/custom box with/amp w/my stock 5 disc changer & keeping everything else stock. I have all the highs I need with the stock radio and yours sounds better than mine due to aftermarket and higher wattage. Hope I was helpful. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt View Post
I have a 2011 non-JBL tacoma with a kenwood 6960 deck.

I am thinking about swapping door speakers... Does anybody have any suggestions? Im not looking to add an amp.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
OneLife
garys05tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road
garys05tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
reply speaker upgrade.

Crutchfield is good at matching speakers with stereo's. You don't have to buy them through them but they will give you good advice most of time. I looked up your model #: 22 watts rms(means continuos power). 50 watts maximum (may go up to 50 watts max). You don't want to buy speakers that can handle a lot more power than what you have. It will sound like shit and worse than stock.
I can turn my stock radio full power and still sounds great. If you can do the same don't waste your money (just wait until they possibly blow someday).
You really see a difference when you add an amplifier; it is a whole nother world. If your trying to get some crazy louder sound or really good bass you'll need an amp. I'm considering putting a 10" sub w/custom box with/amp w/my stock 5 disc changer & keeping everything else stock. I have all the highs I need with the stock radio and yours sounds better than mine due to aftermarket and higher wattage. Hope I was helpful. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #13

toddt's Tacoma Gallery
that sounds like it might be good idea. I cant crank it all the way right now. If I do, i have to adjust the bass down or it sounds terrible.

I guess if I left all the factory speakers and added an amp/sub ... I could just turn the bass down/off on the factory speakers and they would sound fine?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
bearsalonen is on a distinguished road
bearsalonen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristonex View Post
I just finished my system a couple months ago. I used some JL Audio TR690-TXI's up front and i really like them a lot. I have used JL subs over the years but never had any of their smaller stuff. I'm really impressed with them and I install systems pretty frequently on the side for people so I have heard plenty of different branded 6x9's. They are powered with a kenwood KAC-8405 amp. They have good bass and very clear mid's and highs. Whatever you decide on you get what you pay for. And I wouldn't order anything from crutchfield. prices are ridiculous + the money you save shopping elsewhere will easily buy you whatever crappy install products they give you.

I like sonicelectronix or amazon.
Any idea on what brackets you used for this? I found the speakers and they are very nice but to mount it needs brackets for sure
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #15
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by garys05tacoma4x4 View Post
You don't want to buy speakers that can handle a lot more power than what you have. It will sound like shit and worse than stock.
There is absolutely no direct correlation between sound quality and asymmetry of power handling between speaker and amplifier. The reason you would typically want to make them comparable is price. It's a waste of money to buy power or power handling that you aren't going to be able to use.

My advice regarding this thread. Be honest about how loud you are going to try to play your music. Don't disregard possibly using an amplifier simply because you are not sure how to install one (I get the feeling that this is the case). If you run out and buy a "50W" setup and aren't happy, you're wasting the initial upgrade investment because for one reason or another it will end up getting replaced.

When people say things like "I just want a little more bass." or "I don't need it to be loud, just sound good." this, to me, is code for they are on a budget and/or don't have the patience/confidence to try installing something that would really satisfy their needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt
I guess if I left all the factory speakers and added an amp/sub ... I could just turn the bass down/off on the factory speakers and they would sound fine?
This quote is an alarm for me. It gives me the impression that you are going to end up cutting corners, be unsatisfied and ultimately spend more than you'd need to if you did it right the first time. Please read and consider THIS before proceeding with your audio upgrade.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #16
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Factory speakers are shit. Factory deck even bigger piece of shit. You NEED new head unit, amp, speakers, and sub. If Anyone thinks that the factory head or speakers are fine on highs they have NEVER heard good audio.

Do it one step at a time.

Head unit.
speakers and amp.
Sub and amp.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
samuelprz is on a distinguished road

Name: Samuel
samuelprz's Tacoma Gallery
I highly recommend that when upgrading door speaker to amplify them.
You can add in a small amp underneath the drivers seat quite easily.
I like hybrid audio technologies for speakers, but if you want to spend less then for
door speakers go with some Alpine type S or Type R's if your going to amplify.

Products Discussed in this Thread