Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Want to upgrade front door speakers, looking for opinions and reviews.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
Want to upgrade front door speakers, looking for opinions and reviews.

So due to the factory speakers being horrible, in my opinion, I've decided to look into some new speakers. I have a 08 DC without JBL, and a Pioneer DD headunit. Due to money issues I'm only looking to do the front doors right now. My budget is below 150$. I want some good quality speakers and something that would be able to handle some power because I like my music loud.

I don't plan on running an amp, so I would want to stay away from component speaker correct? I'd like to order from Crutchfield because of the great customer service and the free mounting hardware (wiring harness and speaker brackets).

I was looking on Crutchfield and came across these...I think these would work well for my needs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S6...105&tab=review

So what do you guys think? Do these fit my needs? Do you know of other speakers that are better? Thanks TW!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I bought these for my fronts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P86SE8

These for the rear doors:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga..._bxgy_e_text_b

It's been about 3 months and I been lovin' them. Nice and loud, easy to install, but you will need speaker adapters. A member here, Mr. Marv, hooked me up and made some for me out of 3/4 MDF.

I bought both sets for $180, $90 each, but it looks like amazon has them for a lot cheaper than what I paid.

Also, if you are looking for more bass, don't go aftermarket because you'll be disappointed. If you want more bass, get a sub. If you want more clarity and less distortion, then aftermarket speakers are good to go.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
I bought these for my fronts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P86SE8

These for the rear doors:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga..._bxgy_e_text_b

It's been about 3 months and I been lovin' them. Nice and loud, easy to install, but you will need speaker adapters. A member here, Mr. Marv, hooked me up and made some for me out of 3/4 MDF.

I bought both sets for $180, $90 each, but it looks like amazon has them for a lot cheaper than what I paid.

Also, if you are looking for more bass, don't go aftermarket because you'll be disappointed. If you want more bass, get a sub. If you want more clarity and less distortion, then aftermarket speakers are good to go.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not really looking for bass, just clarity when loud. I know Mr. Marv makes the brackets, if I was to order from some where other then Crutchfield, like Amazon, then I would make my own brackets. Then I'm assuming I could go to like Best Buy to get wiring harnesses though?

I'll looking into the speakers you suggested, they seem very fair priced and fit my needs.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Check cnet.com for more reviews.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a big fan of the alpine type r 6x9's. Or the 5x7's.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Check cnet.com for more reviews.
Will do, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I'm a big fan of the alpine type r 6x9's. Or the 5x7's.
I'll check out those too, sweet thanks!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
Will do, thanks!
Don't bother. No reviews about them.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
I run these in my 95 bronco with an aftermarket HU and a sub and love them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB52...d%7cPolk+Audio

I run these in my Tacoma in the front doors with a sub and love them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS60...Brand%7cKicker

I run some sonys in the back doors, I dont remember which model. At the time crutchfield didnt have much of a selection for the rear doors in my price range.

As stated before aftermarket speakers are made to put out mids and highs and no lows (usually). The more lows you try to push thru them, the worse they will sound.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Don't bother. No reviews about them.
Haha, yeah...just checked myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolepride991 View Post
I run these in my 95 bronco with an aftermarket HU and a sub and love them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB52...d%7cPolk+Audio

I run these in my Tacoma in the front doors with a sub and love them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS60...Brand%7cKicker

I run some sonys in the back doors, I dont remember which model. At the time crutchfield didnt have much of a selection for the rear doors in my price range.

As stated before aftermarket speakers are made to put out mids and highs and no lows (usually). The more lows you try to push thru them, the worse they will sound.
I like those Kickers, and the price is right as well. I could get a set for the back too! Yeah, I don't plan on pushing lows through these speakers. If I'm in need for more base, then I'll upgrade to a sub. Thanks dude!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
Im not exactly sure why but crutchfield says they wont fit the back doors...and I dont really know how to play music on any other volume than LOUD, no problems thus far and they have been in for atleast 2 years
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminolepride991 View Post
Im not exactly sure why but crutchfield says they wont fit the back doors...and I dont really know how to play music on any other volume than LOUD, no problems thus far and they have been in for atleast 2 years
Well thats awesome news because I like my music loud as well. I'm really looking into those kickers man!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2060CVT...rch=kicker+6.5
Old 06-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
Subs for the front door? Where is the midrange going to come from?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
happy now?
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_52000/6...y&price=60-150
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Subs for the front door? Where is the midrange going to come from?
Lol, guess he didn't read any posts in this thread.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #16
D13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of lightD13 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: D
D13's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently researching speakers too.

The ones that I have liked the best have been Hertz, They have a line that fits your price range I'm quite sure. I've listened to a lot of speakers, and to me they have a lot of clarity that I personally haven't heard in other speakers. I listened to a set of focals.. holy shit, if I win the lottery i know what i'm getting.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
Fu Manchu is on a distinguished road
Fu Manchu's Tacoma Gallery
Eclipse SC6900

I didn't check all the links to see if these were mentioned, but they sound very nice for clarity/volume and they are one of a small few of 6x9 component sets out there:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...-speakers.html

They are also cheap enough to add a small amp to power them within your budget.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I'm currently researching speakers too.

The ones that I have liked the best have been Hertz, They have a line that fits your price range I'm quite sure. I've listened to a lot of speakers, and to me they have a lot of clarity that I personally haven't heard in other speakers. I listened to a set of focals.. holy shit, if I win the lottery i know what i'm getting.
Thanks, I'll check out Hertz! Wish I could win the lottery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Manchu View Post
I didn't check all the links to see if these were mentioned, but they sound very nice for clarity/volume and they are one of a small few of 6x9 component sets out there:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...-speakers.html

They are also cheap enough to add a small amp to power them within your budget.
Those weren't mentioned but look good, I don't really want to run an amp though.

ALSO guys, today I was driving and listening to music, and noticed some cracking in the upper circle in the door, the tweeters I assuming...so I'd like to replace those as well, what would I need to do that? Just another set of tweeters? I know I would need brackets, again I don't mind making some.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
Fu Manchu is on a distinguished road
Fu Manchu's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, there is small speaker in that upper circle - but it is not a tweeter. Those Eclipse speakers are a component set and include a separate tweeter so they can replace the speakers in both locations in your front doors.

Also, they do not require an amp - that was just a suggestion for peak performance.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Manchu View Post
Yes, there is small speaker in that upper circle - but it is not a tweeter. Those Eclipse speakers are a component set and include a separate tweeter so they can replace the speakers in both locations in your front doors.

Also, they do not require an amp - that was just a suggestion for peak performance.
Oh, I understand. I think I will upgrade with one of the speakers listed, and then if I think the top small speaker is ruining the sound, I will get something to replace that. Thanks for the help guys! I think I have narrowed it down to those kickers listed, or the ones I have listed.

Products Discussed in this Thread