Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

**2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #141
Member
fejus is on a distinguished road
 
fejus's Avatar
Name: Paul
Joined: Nov 2012, #90716
Location: Flower Mound TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 32
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the pics

First is of me squnching the whole boot together and sliding a ziptie attached to the wire through. Helps to have a bit of lube on hand to make the wires not rub much. I was surprised at how much you could compress the boot together.
Attached Thumbnails
**2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**-dsc_0069.jpg   **2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**-dsc_0071.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #142
Senior Member
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
AK27's Avatar
Joined: Nov 2008, #11005
Posts: 38,278
AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejus View Post
Here are the pics

First is of me squnching the whole boot together and sliding a ziptie attached to the wire through. Helps to have a bit of lube on hand to make the wires not rub much. I was surprised at how much you could compress the boot together.
Tried this method today, you have to have tiny hands to get in between the door and jamb to squeeze that boot together lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #143
Junior Member
ISpaulding is on a distinguished road
Name: Isaac
Joined: Jul 2013, #107696
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
ISpaulding's Tacoma Gallery
This method works great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #144
Senior Member
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Joined: Mar 2013, #99870
Location: DFW
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
How do you know what size circuit breaker you need? My amp is at a 80A fuse rating. Would I buy an 80A fuse, or something larger, possibly a 100 A? Or, do I need to add other items for a grand total circuit breaker needed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #145
Junior Member
ISpaulding is on a distinguished road
Name: Isaac
Joined: Jul 2013, #107696
Location: Central Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 6
ISpaulding's Tacoma Gallery
That depends on the wire you are using. The circuit breaker should be sized for the power wire which should be installed as close as possible to the source.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #146
Senior Member
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Joined: Mar 2013, #99870
Location: DFW
Gender: Male
Posts: 275
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISpaulding View Post
That depends on the wire you are using. The circuit breaker should be sized for the power wire which should be installed as close as possible to the source.
Based in my calculations, going to be using 4 Gauge wire for the power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #147
Junior Member
Cumminermouth is on a distinguished road
Joined: Aug 2013, #111369
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Cumminermouth's Tacoma Gallery
I am new to this forum, sent Mr. Marv a message and he told me to call him so I did and I am very impressed with his customer service. He gave me tips, advice, links to pictures of his work and audio equpiment. He told me everything I needed to know. We even got off topic a few times. I will definitely buy his product and I encourage anyone who is reading this post to give Mr. Marv a call. Very friendly and knowledgable about audio. Thank you!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #148
Junior Member
cudaowner is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Joined: Apr 2009, #16209
Location: Panama City, Florida
Gender: Male
Posts: 8
cudaowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminermouth View Post
I am new to this forum, sent Mr. Marv a message and he told me to call him so I did and I am very impressed with his customer service. He gave me tips, advice, links to pictures of his work and audio equpiment. He told me everything I needed to know. We even got off topic a few times. I will definitely buy his product and I encourage anyone who is reading this post to give Mr. Marv a call. Very friendly and knowledgable about audio. Thank you!!
I second that! Not only did he provide me advice for an awesome setup for my access cab and build me a rocking sub box, he spent over an hour on the phone with me this last weekend, walking me through tuning the system. It is almost impossible to find that level of professionalism and product support anymore. Wish I lived closer so I could thank him in person.
If anyone would like a picture of the sub box, send me a PM. It is for a 10 inch sub, and I had it professionally rhino lined.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #149
Junior Member
nfloyd is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Joined: Jul 2012, #83641
Location: Georgia
Gender: Male
Posts: 16
nfloyd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
You're funny! Well after working until 2:30 AM this morning I got back up at 8am to put the finishing touches on and give it some tuning. It took a LOT longer than anticipated however I also did more on this one than the last one. Here's a couple of shots of the finished product and after I take a nap today I'll get started on the tutorial.



How much would you charge to build this box to go behind my seat
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #150
Senior Member
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of
 
g35man's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Feb 2010, #32181
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 691
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfloyd View Post
How much would you charge to build this box to go behind my seat
PM him, great guy to work with. I have a similar set up from him and it rocks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #151
Junior Member
TyNeumann110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Joined: Oct 2013, #114646
Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
TyNeumann110's Tacoma Gallery
WOW !!!!!

Great job and awesome walkthrough - step by step with pictures..

Thanks for the great post!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #153
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
brian's Avatar
Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
Joined: Apr 2009, #16011
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 7,557
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Marv... I need to drive down to your shop someday and day Hi! I would love to chat with you and pick your brain.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #154
Mr Marv [OP] Mr Marv is offline
Senior Member
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Mr Marv's Avatar
Name: Marv
Joined: Mar 2007, #1009
Location: Monterey Bay California
Gender: Male
Posts: 743
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Marv... I need to drive down to your shop someday and day Hi! I would love to chat with you and pick your brain.
Just give me a call next time you're headed this way!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #155
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Toyota Tech31's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Sep 2011, #62769
Location: Debary, Florida
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,786
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
I tried searching (quickly, but I am tired) so I figured I would post my question here and hope for an answer. Thanks in advance.

OK, so I have already upgraded everything in my truck, subs with amp, mids and highs, added tweeters to the rear, and head unit.

Yesterday I got a 4 channel amp for my mids and highs. As much audio stuff as I have done, I have never installed a 4 channel amp.

My question is: When I run the RCA's from behind the head unit, instead of running speaker wire to each door, can I run wire to the wire kit behind the head unit? If that makes sense?

Basically disconnect the speaker wires coming out of the unit that connect to the factory speaker wires and run speaker wires from those to the amp as my outputs? If this makes sense I would appreciate some advice, if not I can try to clarify a bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #156
Member
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Joined: Feb 2010, #30483
Location: New Mexico
Gender: Male
Posts: 68
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
My question is: When I run the RCA's from behind the head unit, instead of running speaker wire to each door, can I run wire to the wire kit behind the head unit? If that makes sense?

Basically disconnect the speaker wires coming out of the unit that connect to the factory speaker wires and run speaker wires from those to the amp as my outputs? If this makes sense I would appreciate some advice, if not I can try to clarify a bit.
Traditionally, it goes like this (seems like you're already aware of this):

Head unit -> RCAs -> Amp -> Speaker wire -> Speakers

Did you replace all the speakers as well? If so, I would highly recommend running new speaker wire from the amp through to the doors.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you want to do this?

Amp -> new speaker wire to back of head unit -> connect to old speaker wire from stock speakers -> new speakers

I don't see anything technically wrong with that but I would recommend against it. I did my entire truck (the first time I ever did a full stereo upgrade) and found running wires through the doors fairly simple. It took some time but it wasn't too difficult.

Another note, this is assuming you had the stock stereo. If you had the JBL unit, you'll have to run new speaker wire. Hope this helps and best of luck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #157
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Toyota Tech31's Avatar
Name: Jason
Joined: Sep 2011, #62769
Location: Debary, Florida
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,786
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaowei View Post
Traditionally, it goes like this (seems like you're already aware of this):

Head unit -> RCAs -> Amp -> Speaker wire -> Speakers

Did you replace all the speakers as well? If so, I would highly recommend running new speaker wire from the amp through to the doors.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you want to do this?

Amp -> new speaker wire to back of head unit -> connect to old speaker wire from stock speakers -> new speakers

I don't see anything technically wrong with that but I would recommend against it. I did my entire truck (the first time I ever did a full stereo upgrade) and found running wires through the doors fairly simple. It took some time but it wasn't too difficult.

Another note, this is assuming you had the stock stereo. If you had the JBL unit, you'll have to run new speaker wire. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Yes, i think we are on the same page. And with your comment it made me think of performance. By going straight from the amp to the speakers there would be less resistance and interference along the way. That's what i will end up doing. Thanks for the help.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*OFFICIAL* 2005+ Double Cab Audio Systems *PICS* prerunner32 Audio & Video 9 10-01-2012 10:17 AM
My 2010 Double Cab Audio Install SilverTacoZack Audio & Video 5 04-02-2012 06:24 PM
09 Double Cab Complete Audio Makeover Octane151 Audio & Video 134 07-31-2011 12:35 AM
Best complete audio set up for 2009 Double Cab tacoma w/ JBL? AxxSxxB Audio & Video 0 10-04-2009 08:09 PM
2005+ JL Audio Double Cab Stealthbox Kenny650 Buy / Sell / Trade 24 08-11-2009 01:12 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.