Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

**2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**

Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #141
fejus is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
fejus's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the pics

First is of me squnching the whole boot together and sliding a ziptie attached to the wire through. Helps to have a bit of lube on hand to make the wires not rub much. I was surprised at how much you could compress the boot together.
Attached Thumbnails
**2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**-dsc_0069.jpg   **2005+ Tacoma Double Cab Complete Audio Install Tutorial**-dsc_0071.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #142
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fejus View Post
Here are the pics

First is of me squnching the whole boot together and sliding a ziptie attached to the wire through. Helps to have a bit of lube on hand to make the wires not rub much. I was surprised at how much you could compress the boot together.
Tried this method today, you have to have tiny hands to get in between the door and jamb to squeeze that boot together lol
Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #143
ISpaulding is on a distinguished road
Name: Isaac
ISpaulding's Tacoma Gallery
This method works great!
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #144
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
How do you know what size circuit breaker you need? My amp is at a 80A fuse rating. Would I buy an 80A fuse, or something larger, possibly a 100 A? Or, do I need to add other items for a grand total circuit breaker needed?
Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #145
ISpaulding is on a distinguished road
Name: Isaac
ISpaulding's Tacoma Gallery
That depends on the wire you are using. The circuit breaker should be sized for the power wire which should be installed as close as possible to the source.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #146
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISpaulding View Post
That depends on the wire you are using. The circuit breaker should be sized for the power wire which should be installed as close as possible to the source.
Based in my calculations, going to be using 4 Gauge wire for the power.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #147
Cumminermouth is on a distinguished road
Cumminermouth's Tacoma Gallery
I am new to this forum, sent Mr. Marv a message and he told me to call him so I did and I am very impressed with his customer service. He gave me tips, advice, links to pictures of his work and audio equpiment. He told me everything I needed to know. We even got off topic a few times. I will definitely buy his product and I encourage anyone who is reading this post to give Mr. Marv a call. Very friendly and knowledgable about audio. Thank you!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #148
cudaowner is on a distinguished road
Navy:
cudaowner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminermouth View Post
I am new to this forum, sent Mr. Marv a message and he told me to call him so I did and I am very impressed with his customer service. He gave me tips, advice, links to pictures of his work and audio equpiment. He told me everything I needed to know. We even got off topic a few times. I will definitely buy his product and I encourage anyone who is reading this post to give Mr. Marv a call. Very friendly and knowledgable about audio. Thank you!!
I second that! Not only did he provide me advice for an awesome setup for my access cab and build me a rocking sub box, he spent over an hour on the phone with me this last weekend, walking me through tuning the system. It is almost impossible to find that level of professionalism and product support anymore. Wish I lived closer so I could thank him in person.
If anyone would like a picture of the sub box, send me a PM. It is for a 10 inch sub, and I had it professionally rhino lined.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #149
nfloyd is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nfloyd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
You're funny! Well after working until 2:30 AM this morning I got back up at 8am to put the finishing touches on and give it some tuning. It took a LOT longer than anticipated however I also did more on this one than the last one. Here's a couple of shots of the finished product and after I take a nap today I'll get started on the tutorial.

How much would you charge to build this box to go behind my seat
Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #150
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfloyd View Post
How much would you charge to build this box to go behind my seat
PM him, great guy to work with. I have a similar set up from him and it rocks!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #151
TyNeumann110 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
TyNeumann110's Tacoma Gallery
WOW !!!!!

Great job and awesome walkthrough - step by step with pictures..

Thanks for the great post!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #153
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Marv... I need to drive down to your shop someday and day Hi! I would love to chat with you and pick your brain.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM   #154
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Marv... I need to drive down to your shop someday and day Hi! I would love to chat with you and pick your brain.
Just give me a call next time you're headed this way!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #155
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
I tried searching (quickly, but I am tired) so I figured I would post my question here and hope for an answer. Thanks in advance.

OK, so I have already upgraded everything in my truck, subs with amp, mids and highs, added tweeters to the rear, and head unit.

Yesterday I got a 4 channel amp for my mids and highs. As much audio stuff as I have done, I have never installed a 4 channel amp.

My question is: When I run the RCA's from behind the head unit, instead of running speaker wire to each door, can I run wire to the wire kit behind the head unit? If that makes sense?

Basically disconnect the speaker wires coming out of the unit that connect to the factory speaker wires and run speaker wires from those to the amp as my outputs? If this makes sense I would appreciate some advice, if not I can try to clarify a bit.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #156
Shaowei is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
Shaowei's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
My question is: When I run the RCA's from behind the head unit, instead of running speaker wire to each door, can I run wire to the wire kit behind the head unit? If that makes sense?

Basically disconnect the speaker wires coming out of the unit that connect to the factory speaker wires and run speaker wires from those to the amp as my outputs? If this makes sense I would appreciate some advice, if not I can try to clarify a bit.
Traditionally, it goes like this (seems like you're already aware of this):

Head unit -> RCAs -> Amp -> Speaker wire -> Speakers

Did you replace all the speakers as well? If so, I would highly recommend running new speaker wire from the amp through to the doors.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you want to do this?

Amp -> new speaker wire to back of head unit -> connect to old speaker wire from stock speakers -> new speakers

I don't see anything technically wrong with that but I would recommend against it. I did my entire truck (the first time I ever did a full stereo upgrade) and found running wires through the doors fairly simple. It took some time but it wasn't too difficult.

Another note, this is assuming you had the stock stereo. If you had the JBL unit, you'll have to run new speaker wire. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 AM   #157
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaowei View Post
Traditionally, it goes like this (seems like you're already aware of this):

Head unit -> RCAs -> Amp -> Speaker wire -> Speakers

Did you replace all the speakers as well? If so, I would highly recommend running new speaker wire from the amp through to the doors.

That said, if I understand you correctly, you want to do this?

Amp -> new speaker wire to back of head unit -> connect to old speaker wire from stock speakers -> new speakers

I don't see anything technically wrong with that but I would recommend against it. I did my entire truck (the first time I ever did a full stereo upgrade) and found running wires through the doors fairly simple. It took some time but it wasn't too difficult.

Another note, this is assuming you had the stock stereo. If you had the JBL unit, you'll have to run new speaker wire. Hope this helps and best of luck!
Yes, i think we are on the same page. And with your comment it made me think of performance. By going straight from the amp to the speakers there would be less resistance and interference along the way. That's what i will end up doing. Thanks for the help.