Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Lawman92 is on a distinguished road
Lawman92's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed

I recently installed the Kenwood KIV-BT901 head unit and wanted to post some photos for anyone else who may also be considering this stereo. I purchased my dash kit from Bestkits.com and really like the way it turned out.

Although I haven't had it long, I really like it so far. First imprssions: The key colors can be customized to match the Tacoma's orange/red dash lights, the iPod controls work great, and I really like how vibrant the screen is, both day and night.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1754.jpg   Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1755.jpg   Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1763.jpg   Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1764.jpg   Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1768.jpg  

Kenwood KIV-BT901 Installed-img_1769.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
That's the unit I've been considering. I love the way it looks. Nice install. Did you setup XM too?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitas21 View Post
That's the unit I've been considering. I love the way it looks. Nice install. Did you setup XM too?
No, I didn't install the antenna for the XM. However, I just programed the Bluetooth to my phone and have been using it for calls, and it works GREAT! You can hear the person you're speaking to from all of the truck's speakers and they can hear you very well too. It hasn't dropped any calls, cut out, nothing. I was very skeptical on just how good Bluetooth calling could be when ran through a Kenwood head unit, but they nailed it. I'm very impressed.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
So that's not a scosche or a metra kit? or is bestkit.com just a retailer?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcledrew View Post
So that's not a scosche or a metra kit? or is bestkit.com just a retailer?
Bestkit.com is the retailer. I'm not sure what brand my kit it is. It is possible that Bestkit.com is selling Scosche or Metra, but I'm not certain.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
magnetic10 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter-EMT
Name: Don
magnetic10's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been thinking of getting this same HU, have it narrowed between this and an alpine but your install is just so clean.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
magnetic10 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter-EMT
Name: Don
magnetic10's Tacoma Gallery
also with this hu are you able to stream bluetooth
?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
They came out awesome, I have been playing with the idea of up getting a that done.
Anyone have any good places to get it done and or where to buy a good face plate ?
Old 11-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
west is on a distinguished road

Name: West
west's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know if you have figured out how to stream bluetooth to this unit. I cannot figure it out. It said in the specs it is possible but I can't get it to work.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought this last night. How do you like this unit so far and how was the install? I am going to assume you did it yourself.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
pcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of lightpcledrew is a glorious beacon of light
pcledrew's Tacoma Gallery
I also installed this unit and I like it a lot. It provides everything I need [bluetooth, iPhone based music with album art, steering wheel controls, etc] without taking up the entire dash and while leaving me a nice convenient storage pocket. Not that the Tacoma needs more storage. Good luck with the install, any questions feel free to ask.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
rsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of lightrsincavage85 is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Radar Platoon SGT
Name: Rick
rsincavage85's Tacoma Gallery
Did not get he HU yet ups screwed me. But my only question is the ground wire for the video portion of the unit. Where is the easiest place wire this in to work properly? I have no reason to watch videos while I am driving but my two boys do.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 AM   #14
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! Is this HU paired with the JBL system? Or are our Tacoma's like my wife's 4Runner where if I want to change the HU I have to redo the entire system due to the JBL?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I have the KIV-701, which doesn't have BT since I never use my phone. I went from an ugly cable up front for my Iphone, often paired with a power cable in my cigarette lighter, to a completey clean install with everything in the glove box. I love the audio controls of the KIV headunits - you can tweak and retweak about everything.

I got the black kit though. The silver looks more factory but I'm glad I went with the black kit since I have other black accents like Weathertechs.

Comparison pic of mine with the black kit: