1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock speakers in 2009 Tacomas - JBL

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EGtaco, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Oct 15, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    EGtaco

EGtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    I had a 2000 prerunner and completly upgraded the speakers and stereo because the factory speakers were cheap paper speaker. My new taco (2009 TRD 4WD double cab) has the "upgraded" JBL audio speakers. How are those speakers really??? I was thinking about having new ones put in but if they are not bad then I might keep them. Does anyone know what size they are. I figure probably 2 pairs of 6 1/2's and the mids/highs are maybe 2"???

2. Oct 15, 2008 at 9:23 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    my experience is factory speakers can sound decent with a good aftermarket headunit, so my recommendation is buy a new deck and after you play with some of the filters and things then decide if you want to replace the speakers. I don't have my new deck installed yet, and i don't have the premium system so i can't tell you if the factory speakers will be enough... it will come down to a little personal preference too

3. Oct 16, 2008 at 10:26 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    They are about the same quality. Have Tightshirts post you a pic.

I second starting with the deck. Options open up to you, and the stock deck will just suck the life out of aftermarket parts.

look here for some hints on speaker upgrade

Careful what you say about paper cones - it's what you do with it. Some of the most expensive, most beautiful speakers are paper cones - try looking at some of the older Rainbow speakers.

4. Jun 15, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    You have the JBL curse.
    Starting with the deck will entail an expensive adapter.
    Changing the deck will then leave you with a muddy POS subwoofer and
    worse-than-POS rear coaxials that will make your new deck sound like shit.
    JBL=cancer cut it out completely...every last bit.

5. Jul 25, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    bsmith4293

bsmith4293 bnasty

Member:
    How much work is it to take out the JBL amp and sub? I want to get rid of mine and put an aftermarket system in my 2005 DC. I have a plan to upgrade the HU with an aftermarket unit and just disconnet the power wire for the factory amp and then just install my own amp. Anyone know if that is a bad idea?

6. Jul 29, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    You can do this without too much trouble. The amp and subwoofer are attached.
    No sense pull the amp and not r/r the sub, too.
    I replaced everything: installed deck, two amps, front components, rear coaxials, custom sub box still being made. Ran my own speaker wire and r/r the interior to put down Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro.
    At the very least r/r deck, amp, sub put a little anti vibration matting in the doors. pioneer makes a sub box that will fit a shallow 10" sub behind the passenger seat if you pull the plastic. found it on Amazon.com
    good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top