1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a good stereo

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacoAviator, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM
    TacoAviator

TacoAviator [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    K&N 77 Series Intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Borla Cat-Back, URD MAF Unit, Anzio black headlights, FABTECH 3'' Lift Kit, Halo Rims w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Westin Nerf Bars and Bull Grill, Grille Craft Grille, WetherTech Wind deflectors, Custom Cup Holder
    Anyone know of a pioneer or kenwood single din that has the aux/ipod hook up in the back of the unit so i dont have to have a wire hanging from the front? Thx for your time

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Are you against Alpine? That's what i would personally recommend, and their cords all come out the back side

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
  4. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Depends on what you're looking for in a head unit.

Almost all the "newer" head units have the Ipod/USB capability on them in one form or another.

Do you need something that has built in crossovers? Parametric or Graphic EQ? Ipod control from the deck or from the IPod itself?

Alittle more information and we should be able to help a bit better.

Personally, I have an alpine 9887, it's got a few extra features you may need if you don't need a Parametric EQ or active crossover capabilities, but I love it's full speed Ipod control.

5. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    K&N 77 Series Intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Borla Cat-Back, URD MAF Unit, Anzio black headlights, FABTECH 3'' Lift Kit, Halo Rims w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Westin Nerf Bars and Bull Grill, Grille Craft Grille, WetherTech Wind deflectors, Custom Cup Holder
    Im not against anything. Im just going with my buddies have told me. I am getting an alpine amp for my sub. I just dont like the aux/usb port in the front. Id rather have them in the back for a cleaner look

6. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    Sorry for the awful picture because it was taken on my phone but. heres my .02...

Personally I used to think the way you did. I wanted to hook the ipod up in the back. Then I realized that the tacomas single DIN receivers are able to be mounted with the nice little shelf underneath to allow me to tuck the ipod in and have it neatly placed right there.

This still has a clean appearance, and with my HU I am able to switch from controlling the ipod with the deck to controlling the ipod by itself. So i can simply switch it, pull the ipod out right there. Hand it to my buddy (or attractive female) in the passenger seat, and let them play DJ.

However it is YOUR truck so do what makes you happy. Just thought I would share my experience with a unit that hooks up in the front.

[​IMG]

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    that does look really clean. thx for the pic, now im back to square one again with single or double din. i figured that the double had all the hookups in the back and was cleaner but that shelf looks like it could be helpful

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Can't help with what HU to get, but my preference is also to have the USB out the back. USB/IPod cables and gear hanging off the front of the unit is just asking for a smash and grab, or a slim jim to come after you.

I run my USB cable into the glove box so my USB drive or IPod is out of sight. Others have run the cable into the center console box.

9. Jul 13, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    oZmonKey

oZmonKey Big Metal Hubajube

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Black 98
    Unknown Spacer Lift.
    Check out the Kenwood KIV series.

I have the KIV-700 and am very happy with it. Cable for IPOD/USB is out the back and plenty long enough to reach the glove box. You can also attach a USB hub and plug in mutible USB sticks and an IPOD at the same time.

My biggest complaint about single din ipod compatible units is the display. Most brands have a single line of data displaying the artist or track or album.
    The KIV has a nice graphical display with enough space for all the song data on separate lines, the album art, as well as the song time where in the track you currently are.

The downside of the KIV-700 is that there is no disc player, it's IPOD/USB/internal memory only. This is not an issue for me.

10. Jul 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Oh yeah, I loved the features of the Kenwood KIV-700 but when it came to crunch time I defaulted to my usual Alpine... in this instance the CDA-117 and I'm very happy with it. I too didn't want any cords hanging out the front mainly for aesthetics, but what Lurkin mentioned above about the smash & grab has merit too. Crutchfield.com & Sonicelectronix.com usually have good pictures and descriptions of their merchandise and you might want to check out TW's thread "Post up pictures of your stereo upgrades" http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/66864-post-up-pictures-your-stereo-upgrades.html It'll show them installed. Good luck!

11. Jul 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i have an alpine and ran the ipod cable into the center console.

12. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    Sweet. Thx for the advise. I think my choice is between the kenwood kiv or pioneer 4300. I also have Mr Marv making my box and told him everything I wanted out of a system and he peiced everything else together for me with my amp, sub, and side speakers......forums make life so much easier.

13. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    kenwood kdc-x995! awesome single din. great text display, more user friendly than alpine, and has 5v pre-outs to give your sub setup a little more nut.

14. Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    jesus

jesus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jesus
    bakersfield
    Vehicle:
    K&N ram intake & doug exs.
    I have a good one for sale if ya like let me know but I dont think the instal and harnest kit would work for 2nd gen but I could be wrong anyhow it a good stereo here's the link
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/166907-02-pre-runner-parts.html#post3437344

15. Jul 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    thx hay-sus. I decided to go with a double din so my wife can watch movies instead of talking to me on the road trips.

16. Jul 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    i started out with an alpine cda-105...was a great head unit that did everything i needed it to. however i always listen to my ipod so i upgraded to the alpine ida-x305s. best single din head unit i've ever owned!!!! if you listen to your ipod most of the time i highly recommend this head unit...

17. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    TacoAviator

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    Ok guys. I went with a MR Marv box (dual 10s with amp rack in the middle and will line-x it), 2 Arc Audio 10s/d4 a PDX-5 amp, 4 hertz energy speakers for the door. I got a good deal on a Pioneer 4300DVD double din head unit so I went with that. I think Im going to be happy. Thanks again for yalls input. I do have a Scosche 2005-up tacoma single DIN dash kit(silver) because I jumped the purchase gun. Just pay shippin and its yours. Again thx!

Products Discussed in

To Top