Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

First CB Install

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Brainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the rough

Name: Greg
Brainless's Tacoma Gallery
First CB Install

Ok, so i had ordered the hood mount from Relentless Fab and I am finally getting around to installing it. This is my first cb setup and will appreciate any suggestions/help i can get. Last night I installed the antenna and ran the cable through the firewall and hope to get the rest installed tonight.

I am using the following parts:

Firestick FS 4' Red Antenna
Firestick Heavy Duty Spring
Firestik FireRing CB Coax with Stud
RadioShack 40 channel TRC-503 (I know its a cheap radio)
SWR Meter with Jumper Cable

I will post pictures of what I have done so far after work, Im sure there is something that may not have been done that I missed.

Thanks in advance as im sure there will be problems.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. Let me know if you need a good Mic. I got too many.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Brainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the roughBrainless is a jewel in the rough

ok couple quick shots from lunch break:

First CB Install-2011-07-14_12-37-28_642.jpg

First CB Install-2011-07-14_12-38-20_289.jpg

First CB Install-2011-07-14_12-37-56_977.jpg
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
Sounds good. Let me know if you need a good Mic. I got too many.
Should the stock mic be replaced? Is there that much difference?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

ok, so i finished mounting and wiring the radio and drove out into the country a bit (farm fields) and attempted to tune the antenna. According to what i can find i need to shorten it?

channel 1: 1.3
channel 40: 1.6

I really don't want to remove the spring. Are these numbers ok to operate it safely?

Thanks
Greg
Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
From what i read, anything under 3:1 is safe to operate.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
TheTacoTruck is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
TheTacoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I'm no help with the CB but I want to install one of my own. That mount looks awesome, Does it interfere with opening the hood or the wipers?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTacoTruck View Post
Sorry I'm no help with the CB but I want to install one of my own. That mount looks awesome, Does it interfere with opening the hood or the wipers?
nope!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
does your cb antenna have a tuning screw at the top?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster133 View Post
does your cb antenna have a tuning screw at the top?
yes but it will not go any further down.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

Ok, I finished putting everything back together and went for a drive up to the top of a hill and tried to tune again. this time i got the following results:

1 - 1.5
40 - 1.5

is 1.5 too high?

o and a couple pics for ya:

First CB Install-2011-07-16_14-55-55_204.jpg

First CB Install-2011-07-16_17-26-25_528.jpg
Old 07-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
NoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud of

Army: S-3 Operations
Name: Michael
NoDrAmA357HK's Tacoma Gallery
Clean install...as for me I'm looking for a retractable CB Antenna, seen a pretty cool one on youtube
Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rocky
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
ok, so i finished mounting and wiring the radio and drove out into the country a bit (farm fields) and attempted to tune the antenna. According to what i can find i need to shorten it?

channel 1: 1.3
channel 40: 1.6

I really don't want to remove the spring. Are these numbers ok to operate it safely?

Thanks
Greg
Those nembers are very good.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #14

thanks for the help guys, but now i have noticed interference whenever pressing the brake for like 1 second then its gone. Is ABS interfering? and is there anyway to shield it?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
kd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shedkd8awe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
From what i read, anything under 3:1 is safe to operate.
3:1 on a CB is WAY TO HIGH. You will end up burning up the radio. On an amateur radio (ham radio) that is high but you don't risk burning up the radios finals.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
kd8awe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless View Post
thanks for the help guys, but now i have noticed interference whenever pressing the brake for like 1 second then its gone. Is ABS interfering? and is there anyway to shield it?
I use a Firestik on my CB but I don't care for the Fire Ring coax of theirs. Be sure that you ground the radio chassis (use any of the screws on the radios case) to a good metal surface. Be sure that the antenna mount is getting a good ground as well. If you still get noise turn up the squelch and if the radio has a noise blanker (ANL switch) turn it on.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #17

I have a ground strap from antenna stud to chassis already, I will try grounding chassis of radio and see if it helps. thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
mrrobwood is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
mrrobwood's Tacoma Gallery
Why not a NMO mount?