Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Trying to find the best valued Ham Radio...

Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to find the best valued Ham Radio...

Im trying to find a good valued Ham Radio setup.

this is what i have been looking at...

http://www.amazon.com/Connex-CX-3400.../dp/B003DQ3ZT6

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?a...u=ZYS-FT-7900R

Any word of advise for a good radio make and antenna?

recommendations?

experiences?

pictures?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dang.... anyone?

maybe im being a little impatient.. hahaha
Old 07-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I don't even think that IS a ham radio.

And it's expensive. If you just want to be on 2m, just get a low end Yaesu and call it good. That will set you back $200 or less.

Icom and Kenwood also make good solid inexpensive units.

I'd say get a spring mounted 1/4 wave antenna and put it on a roof NMO mount. Others will tell you to get a longer 5/8 wave antenna and put it on a hood mount like the one from Relentless.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, your second link is a solid radio. It's that first link to that thing on Amazon I'm not so sure of.

My sig shows one installation. You can do a cleaner install on a Detachable Face radio, but they're a little more expensive.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I am running a Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna and a Yaesu 8800 that I bought off of eBay for $250. It's a great setup. I talk to people regularly from Hawaii to Boston. The other day I made contact to somebody from South Africa.

If you dont need a dual receive, a Yaesu 7800 would be good. Are you going straight to 10m?

Here's my setup. NMO is on my roof.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I don't even think that IS a ham radio.

And it's expensive. If you just want to be on 2m, just get a low end Yaesu and call it good. That will set you back $200 or less.

Icom and Kenwood also make good solid inexpensive units.

I'd say get a spring mounted 1/4 wave antenna and put it on a roof NMO mount. Others will tell you to get a longer 5/8 wave antenna and put it on a hood mount like the one from Relentless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Sorry, your second link is a solid radio. It's that first link to that thing on Amazon I'm not so sure of.

My sig shows one installation. You can do a cleaner install on a Detachable Face radio, but they're a little more expensive.
i think im going to get a Yaesu radio. ive been reading up on them and i found them to be pretty legit.

im about to check out your sig here in a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I am running a Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna and a Yaesu 8800 that I bought off of eBay for $250. It's a great setup. I talk to people regularly from Hawaii to Boston. The other day I made contact to somebody from South Africa.

If you dont need a dual receive, a Yaesu 7800 would be good. Are you going straight to 10m?

Here's my setup. NMO is on my roof.

i really like the size of your unit. the yaesu 8800.

im not really up to speed with the ham radio lingo yet though. like "dual receive" and "10m" lol
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
mrrobwood is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
mrrobwood's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a Ham Radio Outlet near you? They can help you, they are knowledgable and expensive. I found a really cheap Icom 207h used on eBay. It is similar to Yaesu FT 8800 in being that it has a remote head. I love this radio, for the price. It is dual band and modded for 120mhz all the way up to 480mhz. I have a dual band antenna with a NMO mount on the center of my roof. If you are looking to work repeaters you don't need much more than 5w. So don't get caught up thinking you need a lot of power. The only other advice I would give is to run a relay with a fuse on the ACC. If you get a remote head unit, the back seat is a great place to hide the transceiver and easy access to run power lines and coax.

Dual receive is When a transceiver can monitor two different frequencies at once. Usually one for 2m and one for 70cm. And 10M is a HF band, a tech license gives you some privileges here. Also CB Radio is within the 10M band