Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Tweeter location for back of DC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
krap22 [OP] krap22 is offline
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
krap22's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Mar 2011, #53389
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,337
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Tweeter location for back of DC

So i got a good deal on some alpine componenets. Buy one get one half off from Crutchfield. What would be a good location for the tweeter in the rear? I was looking at in the lower part of the door aimed up and back. What about in the very back of the cab above the back window in the corner? Would this cause to much interferance with the front tweeters? or should i just leave them out?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
macgyver's Avatar
Name: Brad
Joined: Aug 2009, #21173
Location: Canton, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,566
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't waste your money on components in the rear. Most of your sound...if not all should come from the front for proper staging.

Music is recorded in Stereo (Right & Left)

I don't run any rear speakers, just components in the front. I haven't run rears in previous vehicles either.

If you want some rear sound, just buy a set of coaxials but make sure you tune the fader to be front speaker dominant.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
fresh taco
redlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
Joined: Jul 2008, #7964
Location: Thornton, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 78
redlight's Tacoma Gallery
especially with higher frequencies you're more likely to notice phasing issues if you put multiple tweeters around the truck. because of the small proximity of the cab, I would recommend just going with one set... can you use the new alpines to replace the stock tweets?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
krap22 [OP] krap22 is offline
BigFoot aka Sasquatch
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
krap22's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Mar 2011, #53389
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,337
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
especially with higher frequencies you're more likely to notice phasing issues if you put multiple tweeters around the truck. because of the small proximity of the cab, I would recommend just going with one set... can you use the new alpines to replace the stock tweets?

Yes, one set will be replacing the stock 6x9 and tweeter in the front. I think i will just put the other set in the rear door with out the tweeter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Member
upnadam is on a distinguished road
 
upnadam's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Jul 2011, #59224
Location: Wilmington, NC
Age: 44
Gender: Dude
Posts: 84
upnadam's Tacoma Gallery
Hope this isn't a total thread hijack since the OP's question got answered and this is related.

Went shopping front speakers the other day. Talked to two shops and got two different answers on tweeter placement. I wanted to go back in the factory location but one shop suggested putting it down below with the woofer. I always thought separates were better and getting the highs up closer to you was the best option. He did go into phasing etc. Any consensus on this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
hookedontronics's Avatar
Name: Jake
Joined: Jan 2010, #28863
Location: Glenville, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,815
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnadam View Post
Hope this isn't a total thread hijack since the OP's question got answered and this is related.

Went shopping front speakers the other day. Talked to two shops and got two different answers on tweeter placement. I wanted to go back in the factory location but one shop suggested putting it down below with the woofer. I always thought separates were better and getting the highs up closer to you was the best option. He did go into phasing etc. Any consensus on this?
What does the install manual on your speakers say? If i had to take a guess i would say they recommend the tweeter within 3-4" of the midwoofer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Member
upnadam is on a distinguished road
 
upnadam's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Jul 2011, #59224
Location: Wilmington, NC
Age: 44
Gender: Dude
Posts: 84
upnadam's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't bought them yet. One set of JL's were convertibles, could be mounted with the woofer or separate like the factory or like true separates.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
fresh taco
redlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shedredlight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Aaron
Joined: Jul 2008, #7964
Location: Thornton, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 78
redlight's Tacoma Gallery
Separating the tweets from the mid/lows is not an entirely good thing, however this was designed into your cab to have appropriate distance ratios from the speakers to your listening position. The purpose of having the tweets up higher within your cab is to improve the clarity of the stereo image, which is an effect generated from higher frequencies and not by low (same reason you can put the subwoofer anywhere and generally can't tell where it's located). But if you move the tweets down in your door or kick panel, you may notice the sound being different or muffled (more quiet at the same settings/volume) in the higher frequencies. It'll sound different when you have a passenger vs not, or when you forget to wear pants. You may not notice or care about the difference, either... just depends on how closely you listen to your music.

If the tweets fit in the stock position, I'd say just leave them there. If they don't fit, I'd guess the shop is trying to sell you on a more expensive install or enclosure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
kristonex is on a distinguished road
 
kristonex's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2010, #41047
Location: Maryland soon to be Denver
Gender: Dude
Posts: 189
kristonex's Tacoma Gallery
heres what I did with mine. Mines an access but you could do the same thing with a dc. Sounds great and sends the sound right up front.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Member
upnadam is on a distinguished road
 
upnadam's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Jul 2011, #59224
Location: Wilmington, NC
Age: 44
Gender: Dude
Posts: 84
upnadam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
Separating the tweets from the mid/lows is not an entirely good thing, however this was designed into your cab to have appropriate distance ratios from the speakers to your listening position. The purpose of having the tweets up higher within your cab is to improve the clarity of the stereo image, which is an effect generated from higher frequencies and not by low (same reason you can put the subwoofer anywhere and generally can't tell where it's located). But if you move the tweets down in your door or kick panel, you may notice the sound being different or muffled (more quiet at the same settings/volume) in the higher frequencies. It'll sound different when you have a passenger vs not, or when you forget to wear pants. You may not notice or care about the difference, either... just depends on how closely you listen to your music.

If the tweets fit in the stock position, I'd say just leave them there. If they don't fit, I'd guess the shop is trying to sell you on a more expensive install or enclosure.
Thanks man. Stock location is what I was thinking just didn't seem to be a big advantage to co-locate the tweeter with the woofer, but I'm not an audiophile by any means.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maximum tweeter size for stock tweeter location in 2011 double cab saitcho Audio & Video 1 10-21-2011 11:56 AM
Back seat room in Taco DC compared to Tundra DC kryten 2nd Gen. Tacomas 13 05-31-2011 09:19 PM
rethink the stock tweeter location Abe Froman Audio & Video 21 04-01-2010 08:55 AM
Back-up camera location? polox40 Audio & Video 11 02-25-2010 05:11 PM
Location of Factory XM Tuner for 2010 DC? Cidgrad130 2nd Gen. Tacomas 6 12-28-2009 12:15 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.