Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Need help with wiring for line driver- sound boost

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Need help with wiring for line driver- sound boost

Not sure how many of you are familiar with line drivers but the voltage from the stock deck is less than 1 by the time it reaches my amp. It needs a major boost, so enter the line driver.

I've bought a JL line driver like this:
http://www.amazon.com/JL-Audio-CL-RLC/dp/B001UDQ1VI

Anyway is it possible to run the power and remote wires from the amp as opposed to wiring in a new power wire and splicing the remote?

Running power and remote wire off the amp would be much more convenient but I would like to hear if anyone had tried that or recommends against it.
thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
You can, but you would probably be better off with a distribution block.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
DeuceRooster is on a distinguished road
DeuceRooster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
You can, but you would probably be better off with a distribution block.

THIS! Plus you may want to take a look at the Rockford Fosgate BLD I've read many reviews lately between the sub $100 line drivers and this one comes out on top almost everytime. Followed up by the Audiocontrol LC2i which is also really good.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...3&locale=en_US
Old 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRooster View Post
THIS! Plus you may want to take a look at the Rockford Fosgate BLD I've read many reviews lately between the sub $100 line drivers and this one comes out on top almost everytime. Followed up by the Audiocontrol LC2i which is also really good.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...3&locale=en_US
I actually debated getting that one or an Audiocontrol Overdrive model (the one that is discontinued).
In the end I got a real good price on the JL line driver. They also aren't a terrible product with reasonable increase of RMS voltage and remote bass knob for gains, instead of on the unit itself. That helps with installation in poorly accessible areas.

Is there that much current going to the line driver to necessitate a distribution block? I thought they were more useful for a multiple Amp setup.
*edit : 90mA current draw, amp has 50A fuse. So very marginal increase in current drain on the system. If this is still too much then I guess the block to play it safe

Products Discussed in this Thread