Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Navigation Units

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
phil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud of
Name: Phil
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
Navigation Units

Hello all! I am new to the board and the search function has been quite helpful but I am still left with more opinionated questions...

If you were to put a Navigational HU in your Tacoma...what would you get and why?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on my overall goals, and budget.

For nav - Kenwood, hands down.

For iPod interface, Pioneer or Alpine.

For price, probably pioneer - I would find a NOS or used z110 or 120BT and do the software upgrades - for the record, this is what I have.

Audio wise - it will soon be running to a Audison Bit1.one, so all I care about is a decently clean full range output. The rest will be handled.

With that said, I am quite impressed with the built in audio features of the Pioneer units.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
I am also looking. I would think that Sony or Kenwood would be best with their name brand nav but if you look on crutchfields, neither one has very good reviews.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
Depends on my overall goals, and budget.

For nav - Kenwood, hands down.

For iPod interface, Pioneer or Alpine.

For price, probably pioneer - I would find a NOS or used z110 or 120BT and do the software upgrades - for the record, this is what I have.

Audio wise - it will soon be running to a Audison Bit1.one, so all I care about is a decently clean full range output. The rest will be handled.

With that said, I am quite impressed with the built in audio features of the Pioneer units.
EXACTLY my thoughts. the kenwoods get bad reviews because their interface could use some work and there supposedbly slow to start up. but they are the only ones who use garmin for their nav which makes them the hands down nav leader. sonys are just crap they break after about a month
Old 07-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Dave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDave333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Dave
Dave333's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood for the Garmin nav. If you update the system it's not that bad. Not as fast as Pioneer or Alpine but we're talking about maybe a second or two and on user interface it's touch then about a 1/2 second response time. I've got a Kenwood DNX 9960 and a Pioneer Avic in the other car. For navigation and audio controls, the DNX 9960 is great.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
for nav, go Kenwood
for sound quality, user interface and ipod go Alpine

I have an alpine iva-w505 and i'm pleased with the nav on it, i'm getting the new updated nav software very soon so we'll see how that has improved. One thing i don't like about the nav is there is no quickest route option, it's just highway, local or shortest distance. Shortest distance is i believe "how the crow flies" so it takes you in a couple zig zags, not neccessarily the shortest timed route. They are suppost to have cleared this up with the new software i am told
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
for nav, go Kenwood
for sound quality, user interface and ipod go Alpine

I have an alpine iva-w505 and i'm pleased with the nav on it, i'm getting the new updated nav software very soon so we'll see how that has improved. One thing i don't like about the nav is there is no quickest route option, it's just highway, local or shortest distance. Shortest distance is i believe "how the crow flies" so it takes you in a couple zig zags, not neccessarily the shortest timed route. They are suppost to have cleared this up with the new software i am told
Having just got out of an Alpine w205. Used the same nav unit, and a similar UI - I thought the nav was good until I used the Kenwood and Pioneer. It was pretty dismal.

The iPod interface was much better on the 505, but having used it (for both DVD and iPod) as well as the 205, I much prefer the newer interface on the w900 and w910, and the pioneer is just as good.

SQ wise, while I have always been an Alpine fan, the Pioneer is equal, if not better, in most respects, in my experience. At the very least you get the 4v preouts in all the Pioneers. Very dissapointed with the newer Alpine stuff compared to Pioneer.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There is one big difference between the 205 and the 505 in terms of SQ. That is Alpine Imprint. If you've ever had imprint you will be sold and never go back. I install these units, i haven't come across anything that can hold a candle to an alpine with imprint. The imprint will also give you the 4v preouts
Old 07-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
You can run the stand alone imprint (H660 is the current version) with any unit, and its not too expensive either. I was able to hook about 20 guys up over on DIYMA with the H650 for under $100 bucks.

A good feature, but I am not sold on it. I also sold both of mine to go back to a full stand alone processor. Opted to get rid of the MS8 as well.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
rdp5008 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
rdp5008's Tacoma Gallery
Got the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT and I'm happy with it. The NAV system is decent although the maps could be better. I haven't upgraded speakers yet but the sound is already improved over the stock head unit.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
phil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud ofphil217 has much to be proud of
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Seems like all these systems will be able to use the steering wheel controls as well??? I am leaning towards Kenwood based on all the answers...what about Eclipse???
Old 07-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #12

Eclipse is great, i haven't used them for nav but they are very high quality. Unfortunately, i would stay away from them since fugitsu ten (who makes eclipse) has pulled out of us markets, and parts and service will be pretty much obsolete

PAC makes a stearing wheel control interface. The Pac SWI-JACK works for jvc, alpine, clarion and kenwood
Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
phil217's Tacoma Gallery
If I were to get a unit mentioned above, would I lose my bluetooth? If I do not, could I use the stock speakers, steering controls and talk piece?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Most the models mentioned have bluetooth built it
Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
rdp5008 is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
rdp5008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp5008 View Post
Got the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT and I'm happy with it. The NAV system is decent although the maps could be better. I haven't upgraded speakers yet but the sound is already improved over the stock head unit.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
car15 is on a distinguished road
car15's Tacoma Gallery
http://rosendealercentral.com/nav/20...2008.01.11.pdf
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by car15 View Post
there are two on ebay right now, although not sure if they are the rosen ones.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by car15 View Post
I'm really liking that unit only because it looks stock.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I'm really liking that unit only because it looks stock.
Me too, crutchfield carries rosen units, I was thinking of sending them an email to see if they will be selling that unit too
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
The ones on ebay, they are bunch of them now listed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-11...fAudioQ5fVideo