Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

AMP fuse keeps blowing :( i need help!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
AMP fuse keeps blowing :( i need help!

I have 8 gauge wire running to a fuse under the hood, then through the firewall and to the amp. By my damn fuse keeps blowing! it calls for a 25 but ive gone through about 5 of them now right when i get my sub to sound the way i want. Can anyone help me? I'm a little new with amps and the wiring, but it is a Sony (i know please forgive me..it was a gift) a Sony 702 EXM. Cant find any info on it..but i think its roughly 250 Watts and im running a bridged connection to one 10" kicker comp vr. Help!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Iceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant futureIceman2448 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
Iceman2448's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure your power wire isn't cut and make sure all the connections are tight and not loose. Try turning the gain all the way down and then tuning it just a little at a time.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Check all connections. Make sure nothing is shorting out anywhere.

Just remember watts/volts is your amps
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nic
UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
You said your running it bridged. The amp may not be able to handle the speaker bridged. If the sub is dual 2ohm voice coils then thats a one ohm load in seires. Re wire the sub that it's in parallel and you'll get a 4 ohm load which the amp should handle just fine. Most all sub owners manuals you can look up online and the almost always tell you how it's should be wired in parallel.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
burtont62 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 0352
burtont62's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBCrew View Post
If the sub is dual 2ohm voice coils then thats a one ohm load in seires. Re wire the sub that it's in parallel and you'll get a 4 ohm load which the amp should handle just fine.
That is completely wrong.

Series would be 4ohm and parellel would be 1 ohm

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwillx93 View Post
I have 8 gauge wire running to a fuse under the hood, then through the firewall and to the amp. By my damn fuse keeps blowing! it calls for a 25 but ive gone through about 5 of them now right when i get my sub to sound the way i want. Can anyone help me? I'm a little new with amps and the wiring, but it is a Sony (i know please forgive me..it was a gift) a Sony 702 EXM. Cant find any info on it..but i think its roughly 250 Watts and im running a bridged connection to one 10" kicker comp vr. Help!
Amp is probably clipping from distortion or motorboating from not enough power and in turn is blowing the fuse.

A short would blow the fuse instantly not when you turn the volume up. Loose connection could be problem, but sounds more like amp.

Where is ground and is it a good ground, bare metal, factory bolt, tight, close as possible to amp.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
UMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of lightUMBCrew is a glorious beacon of light

UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtont62 View Post
That is completely wrong.

Series would be 4ohm and parellel would be 1 ohm
yeah i had a feeling i was backward. the info is still good just terminology is backward.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

UMBCrew's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...2007CompVR.pdf

here you go COMP VR wiring on the first page. wire it in series and im sure you wont have any more problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBCrew View Post
yeah i had a feeling i was backward. the info is still good just terminology is backward.
I know how it goes, some late nights I type stuff and the next day I'm like who typed that crap.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
xwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxwillx93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
xwillx93's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! i ripped all the pannels up and lone behold, the "expert" i payed $75 to professionally install my sound system ran the ground, positive, rca's and remote all down the same side and my ground was extremely loose. Since i've rewired everything and got a secure ground, everything has been sounding even better and no amps blown yet!