Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sound system advice

Old 07-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
Sound system advice

Hey I'm new to the whole car audio thing and I've been doing research but I'm a bit overwhelmed. Could you help me out by suggesting some great budget gear for my 2002 tacoma double cab. I was reading about the Cadence CWM-6KIT 6.5"s. I have read that the stock speakers are 5x7 and I would be building a box for the sub for the back but would need a thin sub either 8" or 10".

I know I would need an amp or two I was thinking a 5 channel amp but again I'm a noob so I digress.

I would really appreciate your help thank you!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
onesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shedonesixseven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
onesixseven's Tacoma Gallery
okay. basically theres a few basic things ur gonne need if ur aiming towards the speakers and sub direction. most importantly a new headunit(deck). preferably one that has a front, rear, and sub rca output. a far as brands go, its subjective per headunit. your best bet is to either find one of your buddies that you like and know isnt failing, or read some online reviews. unless youd like to spend some money and buy a nice alpine deck or something like that. next, you have to decide whether you want to amp your speakers or leave them running off the head unit power. i reccommend amping them, always sounds better, ESPECIALLY if your getting a sub, you kind of need to. if you find a nice set of component speakers that are low wattage, you wont need an expensive amo to push them. for example boston makes some nice ones for not too expensive and they sound great for a budget stereo. as far as an amp goes, as long as you go slightly above what the speakers are rated for your fine. also, make sure its cea-2006 certified, otherwise it garbage. sonicelectronix.com is a great source for all this info, the also have a support line if u have questions. but basically a 4 channel amp for the speakers could work, or like u said a 5 channel could too, but i find it to be diffucult to find a 5 channel that fits your criteria in terms of power ratings. my motto is never to just make it work, do it right the first time. if u go down the 4 channel amp and then a seperate monoblock amp for a sub, your options are way better of finding what u want. as far as subs go, buy a reliable brand. kicker, rockford fosgate, alpine, kenwood, etc... budget subs will not cut it... if u want a nice low bass without bottoming it out, you need to spend the few extra dollars... im not a big fan of shallow subs, but if your pinched on space then you kinda dont have a choice. i could go on for hours about each specific thing, but thats the broad idea. let me know if u have more specific questions and as long as i get the notification that u asked, ill respond =)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
do you have any suggestions for headunits, speakers and amps?