1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Critique my sound system plan.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by LEX, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    LEX

LEX [OP] --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    What I currently have in my 2nd gen dc...

Headunit:
    Pioneer AVIC-X910BT

Front components:
    Alpine SPR-60C

Rear coaxials:
    Alpine-SPR60

Sound deadner:
    Second Skin

Now comes my plans for a sub and amp. I don't want to blow my wallet up and I do not want to be romping. I just want a clean sound with some bass.

Sub idea is JL AUDIO CP108LG-W3V3 that I'll place behind the passenger side rear seat. It's an 8" sub that comes just like its pictured below.
    [​IMG]

Amp I plan to run is an 5 channel Alpine MRX-V60.
    50W x 4 + 200W x 1 (4 0hm@14.4V = 0.10%THD+N), 75W x 4 + 300W x 1 (2 0hm@14.4V) S/N 86dBA (Ref. 1W into 4Ohm):

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I think you will enjoy the sound produced.

But if it were me, I would replace the two sets of speakers with the SPX-Ref (or even SPX-Pro) and then either bridge the amp down to 3-channels or purchase a 3-channel amp (example: JL Audio XD 500/3). As you can probably tell, I'm not a fan of rear seat speakers (when was the last time you were at a concert and the band was playing both in front of and behind you at the same time?).

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    I'd ditch the rear coaxials and either upgrade the front components / get an amp that can go active / get an external DSP that can go active. One channel to each speaker + time alignment + EQ = good.

I've never been a fan of passive crossovers. Always used them in my previous systems until one time I tried active. I'll never go back now...

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4X4
    What the hell? Why does that amp have such a terrible signal to noise ratio?

5. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Cause road noise overrides it anyways, 86 is overkill.

6. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    DeuceRooster

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4X4
    Lex: Have you looked at the new Pioneer PRS-D4200F amp? It's a really nice piece! You could run it to your front components then bridge 2 channels to run your sub. Then run the rear speakers off deck power for rear fill. That's the route I would go myself.

7. Aug 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Keep in mind they spec'ed the product at 1 Watt, at full rated power I would guess that improves to over 100dB S/N.

8. Aug 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    DeuceRooster

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC 4X4
    You're right I think I will switch to a cassette player in my daily driver. No need for CDs unless I'm going to be parked with zero road noise.

9. Aug 1, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    ^^^

Blind test a 75dba @ 1 watt vs an 86, and you'll have a 50/50 chance of picking the difference. Mostly bragging rights.

10. Aug 2, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Lex, if your listening demands for a sub aren't extremely high, e.g., just looking for some low-end fill, then you should be fine with what you've planned.

Not sure what the pricing is on the sub you've shown, but you can get a 10" sub box and a good low/med end 10" sub for around $250 that will go lower and pound out a bit more then that 8" + vented box.

As for the rear fill and some of the input, I used to be a proponent of just a set of good components up front and no rear door speakers, but that was before I sat back there :) With no rear fill, and a 10" sub behind the rear seat, when sitting in back there is way too much bass. My kids don't notice the difference, or so they tell me, but I do. I added a set of coaxes to the rear doors powered off of the HU and set the fader to about 70% front. Makes a world of difference to the rear seat sound.

If you do the above you could get by with a 2+1 amp, or a 4-channel and bridge the rear channels to the sub (this is what I have done). Again, just depends of the pricing and what you really want to do.

I tend to want more, so I try to put in what I think I need plus 1 step to keep myself from constantly upgrading sh-tuff.

11. Aug 2, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    LEX

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I should have elaborated a little more. I do not plan to change my door speakers as I just installed them this weekend and I want to give them a chance. :) I'd like to push all 4 to have an all around sound and for passengers to hear when they're present.

I haven't purchased a sub or any amps yet and I do not want to spend a whole lot. With that said, I am not 100% set on an amp and sub. My budget on an amp is about $300-400 and sub itself at about $150-200. I figure an enclosure would be about $100-150.

Lurkin, you're right. My demands for a sub isn't high that's why I want only a single 8. I think that would be ok for me since I'm limiting the airspace.

I want to keep from cutting up or removing the rear storage/plastic behind the rear seat. I did some measuring yesterday and the sub/enclosure I posted in the OP will not fit unless I remove the storage so that's out. I've been PMing Mr. Marv about an enclosure so we'll see what happens. :cool:

From searching, I also ran into some 6.5" subs. Maybe I can run 2 of those?

12. Aug 2, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    If you're limiting yourself to not removing or cutting the rear plastics, then I think you've committed yourself to the small 6.5" self-contained sub/amp units as I believe that they are the only ones that will fit into the plastics. Everything else needs more depth. Might still work for you though. If you search a bit more, you'll find some reviews on here for those units.

If your needs aren't that great, you may even be satisfied with just amping the door speakers that you have now. If you properly seal the doors, it may be good enough.

13. Aug 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    I have that sub in my DC which I installed in the rear passenger side storage bin. I mostly listen to Christian Rock but have some Nickleback, Black Crowes, Bon Jovi too and have been real pleased with it. Although I don't generally listen to Hip Hop/Rap I do have some Toby Mac/DC Talk and Lecrea to mix it up and they bump good too. Now you're not gonna hear me from a mile off but it rattles the rearview mirror and kicks me in the butt when I crank it up so I don't have any qualms recommending it if you have similar requirements.

I had to trim the lip of the storage bin to clear the speaker grill and cut out the accessory shelf for the sub to fit. There's some pic's in my gallery and a listing of my system components in my profile if you want to compare. Check'em out and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

14. Aug 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    DC Talk is still around????

15. Aug 3, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Nah, they split a while back. Toby's doing his thing and Michael Tait joined up with the Newsboys... speaking of, their new album "Born Again" is awesome and the title song has a lot of bass. It especially kicks in @ the 15 sec mark. Also Building429's latest album has some good bass too although more in the mid bass region. The title song "Listen to the Sound" has some good sub bass that kicks in @ the 30 sec mark... sorry didn't mean to turn this into a music appreciation thread. :eek:

16. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    thats a great system, it will sound good as you have it planned, two sugestions i would make if you were shopping at my store would be the jl audio xd 6 channel amp and the stealth box to amp is a little better sounding, and smaller and the stealth box because it fits so well in the double cab truck the speakers you are looking at are great for the price you should also compare the jl audio c2 or focal vb some of the suggestions i have read on here to upgrade the fronts and leave the rears stock are not a bad idea. still run them off the amp so you have the ability to adjust the x-over point and output from them and it will sound good a great front stage is far more important that changing the factory rears unless you are specificaly trying to make the sound that much better for peope in the back seat with a great set of fronts you wont even notice the difference in the rears from the drivers seat. the deck is great i have this years version of that in one of my cars.

17. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    personally, i get rid of the rear speakers.

18. Aug 3, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
  19. Aug 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    LEX

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    Well, I went out and picked up a JL Audio XD 700/5 amp today.

I came close to picking up a used JL Stealth box, but it sold to someone else. I'm pretty set on getting a single 8" or 10" sub.

20. Aug 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    platinumb

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    Good choice on the amp you'll love
    It.