Notices

Sub box led question

Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic
maser is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
maser's Tacoma Gallery
Sub box led question

I'm in the process of putting together a system in my truck. I think I have all the bases covered....

...two 300w 10's
...a class D 600w monoblock amp
...built a box to fit behind my back seat ( DC )
...wiring kit

I was thinking of some led accent lighting, nothing major, just a small ( 6in strip ) led lights. Could I power the led's off the remote power??
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
lbridges will become famous soon enoughlbridges will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Lee
lbridges's Tacoma Gallery
If you are asking about the typically blue colored remote turn on lead - you could try, but be ready for problems if you do. They sometimes can't manage enough current/voltage/whatever is needed to turn on multiple devices.

However, you could use the remote wire to trigger a relay that turned on the LED, the amp, and whatever else you need to have switched on/off.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #3

maser's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input. A relay may do the trick. Just looking for an alternative to running wire to the dash...when typically the led's could be on whenever the amp is powered.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #5

maser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
You can power them straight off the remote power, leds draw severly low amps. I do this all the time, with systems i install/build
Cool, no resistor or relay/ fuse....??
Old 08-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
no just run your power straight from the amp on the remote and ground it anywhere or to the ground on the amp
this is not a good idea most decks have a 500ma output on the remote wire and on many of them it is not fused or protected internally so if you overload it then your deck will have no output from the remote turn on. all manufacturers recommend that even if you are using the remote signal to turn on more than 2 amplifiers you install a relay. technically yes you can do this but a relay is only like 5 bucks and you wont be risking your deck. just because you can do something doesn't mean its right or going to work.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumb View Post
this is not a good idea most decks have a 500ma output on the remote wire and on many of them it is not fused or protected internally so if you overload it then your deck will have no output from the remote turn on. all manufacturers recommend that even if you are using the remote signal to turn on more than 2 amplifiers you install a relay. technically yes you can do this but a relay is only like 5 bucks and you wont be risking your deck. just because you can do something doesn't mean its right or going to work.
I've been doing this for the past 9 years and installed leds well over a couple hundred times with no issues. Never had a single problem.

It's your truck, if you want to use a relay or a fuse go right ahead, i'm not going to stop you. I am just speaking from my experience as an installer and shop owner.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=hookedontronics;3529881]I've been doing this for the past 9 years and installed leds well over a couple hundred times with no issues. Never had a single problem.

It's your truck, if you want to use a relay or a fuse go right ahead, i'm not going to stop you. I am just speaking from my experience as an installer and shop owner.[/QUO

me too bro, been an installer for 16 years and owned my own shop for 7 i am not arguing that yeah it might work but for the small cost of a relay its not worth trying. the remote turn on output from a head unit is not and was never intended to be a power source for anything just something to supply a small signal to tell the amp or power antenna when to turn on and off.