1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Bad of a Plan is this?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RedzTaco43, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Aug 10, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    RedzTaco43

RedzTaco43 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Sugar Land
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Trd
    Okay so in my 2007 access cab, I'm thinking about putting in the following sytem...

Pioneer DEH-4300ub headunit
    Kicker Ks60 6 1/2 inch door speakers (Front and Back)
    Kicker 12 inch Solo Baric L7 2 ohm Subwoofer
    Hifonics Hfi1000 watt amp

Does this sound like a good idea? And I plan on doing it all myself..

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, Thanks

2. Aug 11, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I for one am a fan of the KS speakers, very great sounding speakers from stock deck power. I used them in a snowmobile display stand before, they really cranked out some sound

3. Aug 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL

For what type of listening?

The KS speakers are a good set for the price. Unless you want them, I'd ditch the rears and double the money you could spend on a front set. Rear fill is tricky, and honestly, I haven't had a set in my last few vehicles and I haven't looked back.

The L7 is a beast for SPL. If getting loud is what you want, then that's a good way to do it. I'm not a huge fan of the way they sound, but that's probably due to install issues rather than the particular driver as I've heard tons of "SPL" subs play musically. May want to check the mounting depth, depending on where you plan to install it. Make sure you know which load you're wiring to the L7 and your hfi1000 should be fine as well.

Is it an awful plan, no. Is it what I would do, no :cool:

4. Aug 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    RedzTaco43

Member:
    Sugar Land
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Trd
    I understand what your saying about just doing a set of front speakers, what would you recommend then? I'm open to any and all ideas. I'm looking for something loud that still sounds clean.

5. Aug 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Running solely off head unit power?

It really depends on your listening habits and budget. There are a lot of decent component sets to be had at <$200.

What do you usually listen to?

6. Aug 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
  7. Aug 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM
    RedzTaco43

Member:
    Sugar Land
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Trd
    Okay so after talking to a friend for a while today i think i have decided to keep my stock speakers and tweeters and put in a new headunit (I need the aux input) and still go ahead with the sub

8. Aug 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    RedzTaco43

Member:
    Sugar Land
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Trd
    I really like my bass so I think I'm guna stick with my idea

9. Aug 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Head unit will make the most difference across the board, for the price. It is always the recommended place to start.

After that, if you're a bass head, go for a sub, if you like to hear stuff, go for speakers.

Are you still sold on the L7?

10. Aug 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Fixed for accuracy....you'll never run a sub off headunit power :D

11. Aug 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    RedzTaco43

Member:
    Sugar Land
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Trd
    After reading what i posted i sound like a dick.. lol but Im going to get a kenwood kdcx595 headunit and stick with the sub and amp..

And Joehs, im always open for ideas.. I'd love to hear yours

Thanks

12. Aug 12, 2011 at 5:50 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    That's a good head unit IMO. Kenwood makes great sources.

What type of truck do you have, first or second generation? I'm quite a bit less familiar with first gens, due to not having one, but as far as second gens go, you're going to have a hard time using an L7 in an appropriate sized box without losing a seat somewhere. If that's fine with you, then I say go for it.

I know most (read: non fabricators) go with a box behind the rear seats in a double cab, or one between the rear seats in an access cab. Generally in that situation you're limited to ~5.5" of mounting depth without doing some major cutting/blow through. Doing a build back there also limits your box dimensions, and it seems like most people can get between 1 and 3 cuf, depending on design.

Pending those requirements, the selection in woofers goes down quite a bit. It's getting a lot harder to find sub drivers that have <6" of mounting depth in any size, unless you go "slim".

If you're in a dcab, some of my suggestions would be:
    -IDQ10v2 or a v3
    -ARC audio
    -JL 13TW5

I've also heard good things about the new alpine slim type R's, and even the new type R 8's. However, I have not demo'd them so I cannot attest to their strengths or weaknesses.

Almost none of the options are going to give you as much SPL as an L7 in a properly built vented enclosure, but you also don't have to lose a seat.

If you're installing in an access cab, the game is totally different.

ItalynStylion knows a whole lot more about it than I do, and I'd value his opinion a lot if I were you. You can also look up MrMarv and give him a call, he's a great guy to deal with. Both of them will easily be able to tell you what's possible and what's not. Biggest thing to remember is, everything is possible when it comes to audio, as long as you've got the money for it.

Audio is a crazy thing to get into any deeper than "I got a new headunit so I can play my ipod through it, and I bought a prefabbed box and sub from best buy". It's quite the rabbit hole.

Products Discussed in

To Top