1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detachable Face Plate Head Units: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zippythepinhead, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    zippythepinhead

zippythepinhead [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab RWD
    I'm not an auto stereo expert or aficionado. I just want to be able to control my iPod from the head unit.

I bought a used Dice Silverline, which hasn't worked well.

Now I'm looking at aftermarket head units, and considering those which have a detachable face-plate. What I want to know is this: am I considering the wrong feature? I've been reluctant to buy an aftermarket head unit because I figure that they attract extra attention, and possibly increase the chance of theft and the damage to the vehicle that goes along with theft. But I thought a unit with a detachable face-plate might be a reasonable deterrent.

Am I over-thinking this?

I'd welcome any advice readers of this forum care to help.

2. Aug 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    ninja90177

ninja90177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC 4x4 Off-Road
    Icon 2.5 C/Os, Wheeler's AAL, OME N182, 265/75-16 KM2s, Murdered Emblems
    I don't think you're over-thinking it at all.

As attractive as a shiny new head unit is to you, it's likely that it's just as attractive as some thief that sees it as well.

I picked up the JVC KW-NT30HD because of this.

Turns out, it's a speedy little deck in terms of boot-up times and navigating the menus. It is only a 6" screen, but that didn't really turn me off. Had it for about 2 months now, and i'm quite pleased with my purchase.

Someone on here made a cover for his double-din nav unit that looked like (it actually was) an older car's am/fm tape deck. It was from an old celica or corolla or something. You'd never know there was a high-end deck behind it.

3. Aug 17, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    I just installed this exact same head unit in my '11 Taco about two weeks ago. I also like it very much, although the boot time is really not as fast as it should be. I do detach my faceplate and take it with me while at work because it does make a tempting target. It is nice to have the option for sure.

4. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    just like the first post stated, it's VERY true. Thieves main thing is to get ANYTHING that is deemed value. With a detachable face plate you at least give yourself a time frame of "pick 'ins" for the thief (they basically see something in plain sight that is of value, they take, unless they know exactly what's in the vehicle).

As for actual head units, since the Dice wasn't working out for you, I would look into name brand head units (even VERY poor aftermarket head units have detachable face plates). I have always used Pioneer, as of now I have a Pioneer 5000UB (lets you control an iPod/or anything USB given that the h.u. is able to power it up and use it - tried this one Scan Disc mp3 player the homie has, didn't work :( ).

5. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    RI Tacoma

RI Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Phx sometime soon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCLB
    OME 885's, Derped FJ TRD Wheels, Hankook Dynapro's ATM 265/75/16's, Retro's, WeatherTech Liners, Fog Light Mod, Bak Flip F-1, N-Fab Steps, 20% Tint, complete stereo, heated mirrors, Katzkin seats!!
    I was debating the same thing, but the detachable face unit didnt have the features I was looking for, mainly the USB input on the back of the deck.

I ended up getting a Pioneer w/o any security features, but I made a fake face plate from an old celica stereo that fits of the top. Hopefully it is enough to fool someone looking to break-in and steal my stereo.

6. Aug 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    zippythepinhead

zippythepinhead [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Double Cab RWD
    I appreciate the replies, but $600 for a head unit is more than I care to spend. On one hand, it seems dumb... gas is $50 per tank for me (here in SoCal), and I buy it without blinking, but a head unit that costs $250 strikes me as expensive. On the other hand, getting an aftermarket head unit and using the OEM speakers seems equally dumb, like putting perfume on a pig, almost. So I was figuring to spend $400-$500 total for everything: speakers, new head unit.

At my age, and with the hearing damage I already have, I don't think I need an amplifier.

I'm not a thief, so the mindset of a thief is not my mindset. As an aside I was at a Toyota dealer yesterday (accelerator pedal recall) and a guy rolled up in a 1st generation Tacoma with a missing catalytic converter. The service adviser told me they see this all the time, and that one customer even had their catalytic converter stolen while they were seeing their doctor. The car was parked outside of the doctor's office when the theft occurred.

When I hear a story like that, and consider that times are what they are, it makes me very reluctant to make my truck stand out... "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down."

There are head units out there with detachable faceplates, and taking the faceplate with me is not a problem... I would be diligent to do that. I was actually considering this Sony Xplod CDX-GT930UI, but I'm not in a rush.

7. Aug 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    ninja90177

ninja90177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC 4x4 Off-Road
    Icon 2.5 C/Os, Wheeler's AAL, OME N182, 265/75-16 KM2s, Murdered Emblems
    I know, right? Haha. I hard a hard time coughing up the dough for my system, but haven't even thought about how much gas I go through without even keeping track of it.

This happened to my friend while he was in 7-11, parked on the side of the building. He was only inside for 3 mins, came out, fired up the truck, and all the dash lights were on and it sounds like crap.

Well, there are some great head units out there, I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. GL to ya!

8. Aug 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Toytec/Eibach coils w/ 5100's set at 0, Toytec 2.0 Aluma Rear Shocks, Toytec Boss Leaf Springs, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    i would recommend a single din head unit with a USB outlet in the front. that way, you can control your ipod using your ipod usb cable.

Products Discussed in

To Top