LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Detachable Face Plate Head Units: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
zippythepinhead is on a distinguished road
zippythepinhead's Tacoma Gallery
Detachable Face Plate Head Units: Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I'm not an auto stereo expert or aficionado. I just want to be able to control my iPod from the head unit.

I bought a used Dice Silverline, which hasn't worked well.

Now I'm looking at aftermarket head units, and considering those which have a detachable face-plate. What I want to know is this: am I considering the wrong feature? I've been reluctant to buy an aftermarket head unit because I figure that they attract extra attention, and possibly increase the chance of theft and the damage to the vehicle that goes along with theft. But I thought a unit with a detachable face-plate might be a reasonable deterrent.

Am I over-thinking this?

I'd welcome any advice readers of this forum care to help.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you're over-thinking it at all.

As attractive as a shiny new head unit is to you, it's likely that it's just as attractive as some thief that sees it as well.

I picked up the JVC KW-NT30HD because of this.

Turns out, it's a speedy little deck in terms of boot-up times and navigating the menus. It is only a 6" screen, but that didn't really turn me off. Had it for about 2 months now, and i'm quite pleased with my purchase.

Someone on here made a cover for his double-din nav unit that looked like (it actually was) an older car's am/fm tape deck. It was from an old celica or corolla or something. You'd never know there was a high-end deck behind it.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja90177 View Post
I don't think you're over-thinking it at all.

As attractive as a shiny new head unit is to you, it's likely that it's just as attractive as some thief that sees it as well.

I picked up the JVC KW-NT30HD because of this.

Turns out, it's a speedy little deck in terms of boot-up times and navigating the menus. It is only a 6" screen, but that didn't really turn me off. Had it for about 2 months now, and i'm quite pleased with my purchase.

Someone on here made a cover for his double-din nav unit that looked like (it actually was) an older car's am/fm tape deck. It was from an old celica or corolla or something. You'd never know there was a high-end deck behind it.
I just installed this exact same head unit in my '11 Taco about two weeks ago. I also like it very much, although the boot time is really not as fast as it should be. I do detach my faceplate and take it with me while at work because it does make a tempting target. It is nice to have the option for sure.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippythepinhead View Post
I'm not an auto stereo expert or aficionado. I just want to be able to control my iPod from the head unit.

I bought a used Dice Silverline, which hasn't worked well.

Now I'm looking at aftermarket head units, and considering those which have a detachable face-plate. What I want to know is this: am I considering the wrong feature? I've been reluctant to buy an aftermarket head unit because I figure that they attract extra attention, and possibly increase the chance of theft and the damage to the vehicle that goes along with theft. But I thought a unit with a detachable face-plate might be a reasonable deterrent.

Am I over-thinking this?

I'd welcome any advice readers of this forum care to help.
just like the first post stated, it's VERY true. Thieves main thing is to get ANYTHING that is deemed value. With a detachable face plate you at least give yourself a time frame of "pick 'ins" for the thief (they basically see something in plain sight that is of value, they take, unless they know exactly what's in the vehicle).

As for actual head units, since the Dice wasn't working out for you, I would look into name brand head units (even VERY poor aftermarket head units have detachable face plates). I have always used Pioneer, as of now I have a Pioneer 5000UB (lets you control an iPod/or anything USB given that the h.u. is able to power it up and use it - tried this one Scan Disc mp3 player the homie has, didn't work ).
Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was debating the same thing, but the detachable face unit didnt have the features I was looking for, mainly the USB input on the back of the deck.

I ended up getting a Pioneer w/o any security features, but I made a fake face plate from an old celica stereo that fits of the top. Hopefully it is enough to fool someone looking to break-in and steal my stereo.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
zippythepinhead is on a distinguished road
zippythepinhead's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the replies, but $600 for a head unit is more than I care to spend. On one hand, it seems dumb... gas is $50 per tank for me (here in SoCal), and I buy it without blinking, but a head unit that costs $250 strikes me as expensive. On the other hand, getting an aftermarket head unit and using the OEM speakers seems equally dumb, like putting perfume on a pig, almost. So I was figuring to spend $400-$500 total for everything: speakers, new head unit.

At my age, and with the hearing damage I already have, I don't think I need an amplifier.

I'm not a thief, so the mindset of a thief is not my mindset. As an aside I was at a Toyota dealer yesterday (accelerator pedal recall) and a guy rolled up in a 1st generation Tacoma with a missing catalytic converter. The service adviser told me they see this all the time, and that one customer even had their catalytic converter stolen while they were seeing their doctor. The car was parked outside of the doctor's office when the theft occurred.

When I hear a story like that, and consider that times are what they are, it makes me very reluctant to make my truck stand out... "The nail that sticks up gets hammered down."

There are head units out there with detachable faceplates, and taking the faceplate with me is not a problem... I would be diligent to do that. I was actually considering this Sony Xplod CDX-GT930UI, but I'm not in a rush.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On one hand, it seems dumb... gas is $50 per tank for me (here in SoCal), and I buy it without blinking, but a head unit that costs $250 strikes me as expensive.
I know, right? Haha. I hard a hard time coughing up the dough for my system, but haven't even thought about how much gas I go through without even keeping track of it.

Quote:
As an aside I was at a Toyota dealer yesterday (accelerator pedal recall) and a guy rolled up in a 1st generation Tacoma with a missing catalytic converter. The service adviser told me they see this all the time, and that one customer even had their catalytic converter stolen while they were seeing their doctor. The car was parked outside of the doctor's office when the theft occurred.
This happened to my friend while he was in 7-11, parked on the side of the building. He was only inside for 3 mins, came out, fired up the truck, and all the dash lights were on and it sounds like crap.

Well, there are some great head units out there, I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. GL to ya!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
i would recommend a single din head unit with a USB outlet in the front. that way, you can control your ipod using your ipod usb cable.