1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

isimple gateway now compatible with XM factory head units

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by fbconvert, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    fbconvert

fbconvert [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I picked up one of these guys off ebay for $10 used.

[​IMG]

It worked fine when I hooked it up to my 2005 JBL factory head unit. I used the AM button to activate it as the source. However, when I upgraded my head unit to the new 2009 JBL with built in XM it did not work. I called Tech support and they told me it was not compatible with my head unit because it has the built in XM tuner.

Well Pac just released new firmware to make it compatible by using it like a separate CD changer. I tested it out and it works.

Here is how its done

You need a mini USB to standard USB cable

[​IMG]

Then follow the instruction on their website here. It will tell you how to download and install the new firmware.

Then make sure the #3 dip switch is turned to the on position and the rest are off.

Their tech support told me to wait ten minutes before testing it but I think that was because they were about to close and he didn't want to stay late so he was trying to get me off the phone. I plugged it in almost emidiately after hanging up the phone and it worked fine.

I can select the gatewaye by toggling through the aux/disk button now instead of the XM/AM button. No text is displayed but I can control my iPhone with my steering wheel controls and it charges it so I am happy.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 12, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Cool I have same PAC and it didn't work I'm going to try this thanx

3. Sep 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Sweet let me know if you have any questions. Just don't forget to leave that 3rd switch in the on position.

Good luck

4. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Cool! good thing I checked back. I put the switch 3 on .. Thanx again I had already quit and was going to Buy oem $200+

I got the isimple from eBay for $50

+ 1 for you thanks again

5. Sep 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man glad you were able to save yourself some cash!

6. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    othater

othater Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal-Walnut
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Brian,
    Got mine installed and works great. Won it for $20 on Ebay.
    Seller shenidss9ckq has a few more up for bid.
    Followed your instructions.
    My iPhone pops up a window and says its not completely compatible but everything works??
    I just placed the control box behind the radio.
    Did you zip tie it?
    Right now I have the cable in the glove compartment.
    I need to move it closer. I was thing in the little cubby hole under the ignition.
    Where do you guys have it?

Still debating on trying your bluetooth set up. Probably over my head.

Thanks for everything

7. Sep 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Mine does the same thing. I have noticed that window pops up on just about everything I plug into my iPhone. But it charges and function fine with the steering wheel controls so I can't complain.

Also I didn't zip tie it. I installed it just to the right of the head unit in the dash. It fit just fine when its put on its side. You could rout your cable to the glove box but I chose to rout mine to my center console which took a little more effort.

Since you already have the newer head unit I would definitely do the bluetooth mod. You are looking at maybe most another $40 in parts, and most of that is for the shielded wire. Just let me know if it gets over your head. I am a mechanical engineer not an electrical engineer so you don't have to be an expert to do it. Once you get your head into it you see how it all works and then you are fine.

8. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    got one of these and having probs makin it work with my stereo. I upgraded the firmware and rechecked, all it does is charge my ipod. I have ipod touch and my stereo is the one with the am-sat button. I am gonna try the #3 dip but if that don't work then tech support hotline here I come.

9. Nov 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    The switch is crucial, it should work after you put the number 3 switch to the on position.

Good Luck!

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    No worky. Called the tech support and Brian there was very helpful. Got the radio to say dev init, but that's as far as we got. The cable that goes from ipod to gateway is bad. The #3 dip switch is for the jbl and 6 disc units only, I have normal one with am-sat button. So will look for ipod cable for gateway now to make it work. Thanks for the help though.

Products Discussed in

To Top