Notices

Replace Factory Head Unit and Speakers

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
Mildly-Attractive
CarlosinFL is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
CarlosinFL's Tacoma Gallery
Replace Factory Head Unit and Speakers

I've got a 2002 1st generation Tacoma with regular cab but I've just ordered a new JVC single din CD player and front Polk Audio speakers to replace the factory units which sound terrible. My question is how hard is it to remove the door panels to gain access to the speakers and also remove the black plastic that secures the factory head unit?

Do you guys have any tips and or recommendations?

I made sure I got the stereo wiring harness for my car as well as a mounting bracket to seat the new after market head unit. Just want to make sure I can get the panels off cleanly and w/o damaging anything.

Thanks for any info and yes I did read the FAQ's above and neither of them mentioned any of this.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Most aftermarket single DIN's will mount to factory pocket box/bracket.
It's easy to take off the plastic surrounding it.
Almost all JVC's will mount to factory bracket actually.

1. Pull your AC knobs and tabs off
2. Use a flat head or a knife to pop off AC face plate..careful to not break the tabs
3. Use a phillips to take the 2 screws out behind face plate(one on right, one on left at an angle up)
4. Pull coin tray out
5. Take phillips screw out behind the coin tray, little below it.
6. Use your top vents above radio to pull on plastic and it will pop right off.
7. Disconnect airbag module and dangle piece to side..
8. Ready to take radio out.

Door panels, not too sure on them..never got around to that yet.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Mildly-Attractive
Thanks. Looks like door panels are just as simple. Just need to pull the sail panel off above the tweeter and there are two screws by the grip handle and the door open lever.

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Mildly-Attractive
For anyone else that is interested, this also was very helpful!

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77
Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
I got tiger blood.. WINNING
LBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBCdmv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
LBCdmv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosinFL View Post
For anyone else that is interested, this also was very helpful!

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77
Great link!
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was gonna show you that link but it's a bitch to find that page without using Google search. lol.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
ryte