Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Subwoofer Installed with stock deck and hits hard

Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Subwoofer Installed with stock deck and hits hard

So I have finished wiring and installing my 12 inch sub in the access cab. After getting everything powered and fused, I turned it on and I am very impressed. This post is due to the hundreds I have read basically bashing stock headunits that cause impotent subwoofers.

I bought the major components used to save money.

Scosche 4 channel RCA line converter 20.00
JL CL-RLC Line driver 30.00
JL 500/1v2 amp 300.00
JL 12w6v2 subwoofer 100.00
Sealed enclosure (building a new one to better fit the access cab free
4 gauge wiring with 60 amp fuse 30.00
12 guage speaker wire 5.00

The big issue people complain about is a lack of voltage from the deck
to the rear speakers, not enough to make the subwoofer work.
I can confirm this is true, I was getting 0.3v arriving to my amp.
The line driver was installed and now I keep it at 6v.

Honestly this thing can be heard blocks away if that is your thing. I have mine tuned so as not that loud. I like my 6 disc stock deck that I bought off a user on here despite its shortcomings.

If anyone is considering this setup I highly recommend it. One subwoofer on a stock system is incredibly popular due to the simplicity. Install was a breeze and I used some writeups on here for disassembling the interior to run wires.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I ran a 12" CVR Kicker with stock head unit for a while also. Sounded okay, but nothing great.

I have a completely different setup now though, blows my old one away
Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Be careful running that amp to a single 12" sub. You will blow it if you're cranking it up. I've blown two 12's on that amplifier easily. DO NOT use bass boost at all, you will slam the chassis of the sub, overheating very quickly. Ask me how I know

That amplifier is a beast, I used to own one. If you have decent voltage from your battery, you are putting out closer to 650 watts. Bench tested at 14.4 that amp puts out 733 watts. I've seen 2 12W6V2's blown on a JL 1000/1 before.

Play your music for a few minutes with the bass up, then put your hand in front of the subwoofer while its playing. If you feel heat radiating from the cone, back it off a bit. A little heat is okay, but its the first indication of too much power in my setups.

Fine choice in equipment! Great deals too! Way to go! You may want a 65 or 70 amp fuse if you ever go to a dual setup. I've blown plenty of 60A fuses on that bad boy.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

Play your music for a few minutes with the bass up, then put your hand in front of the subwoofer while its playing. If you feel heat radiating from the cone, back it off a bit. A little heat is okay, but its the first indication of too much power in my setups.
Never, under NO circumstances, touch the cone of a speaker while it's moving. This is one of the biggest causes of failure in subwoofers.

Good advice though about the bass boost. It's often used improperly and leads to HEAVY clipping and will kill a sub for sure.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Got a write up on your install?

I like the idea of using the stock h/u since it won't call the attention of thieves.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
roberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shedroberts white lightning is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: lcpl delta co
Name: robert
roberts white lightning's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post

I like the idea of using the stock h/u since it won't call the attention of thieves.

X2, would 2 12's work?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Never, under NO circumstances, touch the cone of a speaker while it's moving. This is one of the biggest causes of failure in subwoofers.

Good advice though about the bass boost. It's often used improperly and leads to HEAVY clipping and will kill a sub for sure.
He never said touch it.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
blown subwoofer=user error
Old 08-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
x2. The same thing can be said about the gain. A lot of people use it as a volume control.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Did someone say hard hitting Tacoma?

No one mentioned my name?

Hmmmm.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post

Hmmmm.
Nice set-up, but where do the people sit back there?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:

Hmmmm.
Overkill... I would've spent all that money on a set of coilovers.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
Nice set-up, but where do the people sit back there?
There is only room for 1 chick, bro's ride the back.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #14

When you find a set of coilovers for a 05 5 lug please do pm me!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #15

Quote:
When you find a set of coilovers for a 05 5 lug please do pm me!

http://www.klmstore.com/ICON-5-8605-...ver-Shock.aspx

http://www.klmstore.com/ICON-5-8705-...ock-Kit-3.aspx
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post

Well to be honest, I didn't do anything different than what are already posted.
Run 4 gauge wire from battery 10 inches, fuse, then run the rest through the firewall and along the driver floor panel. I have a few pictures of it but nothing that would be of much use right now. I haven't built the new box yet.

RCA converter from off the back of the deck from the ceiling speakers. Ran that up the middle under the middle console and under the carpet, then matched them up with the power and found a solid ground point under the rear access seat. Remote wire parallels the power in my setup.

Again my point in all this was it is a very simple setup, stock headunit, and is very loud if you want it to be.

With regard to the other post about the amp, that thing is a monster. It can easily power 2 12s, but I wanted the space so I only have one. I have used bass boost more to see what it would sound like but it was far too loud. It made the whole front compartment rattle and the rear view mirror was so shaky I couldn't see anything out of it. Bass boost is at zero, line driver is at 75% and it works for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #17

Thanks! The Total Chaos set-up with this is like 3K. Not gonna get any more lift than I got now, 3K more in my stereo
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #18
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
He never said touch it.
This true but it would be hard to feel any heat from a moving cone without touching it even if it was hot to the touch. And at that point it's already game over lol
Old 08-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
Better to run an aftermarket hu? Or is it a good budget saving idea to run off the stock Hi for an aftrrmarket sub?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
This true but it would be hard to feel any heat from a moving cone without touching it even if it was hot to the touch. And at that point it's already game over lol

You're wrong. You can easily feel it without touching. Try it sometime.