1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just purchased a new HU - next steps?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by msc219, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    msc219

msc219 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 Double Cab
    I have a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab without the JBL package. I just purchased the Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and I'll have it professionally installed. I was wondering what the next purchase(purchases) should be considering I don't need a ton of bass but I I would like a well rounded system. My question is, do I really need to get an amp/sub or can I find a good set of front and rear door speakers that have enough loudness and bass?

What do you think I should purchase next to pair with this new HU and does it make most sense to have a professional installer install the HU and new speakers at the same time?

2. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Nothing wrong with doin the installs seperately. If you're looking to save money, there are plenty of people on this forum who are willing to help that I'm sure live close to you.

You can go the route of using only door speakers for bass, but you will need an amplifier to provide clean sound with the bass up a little... head units don't put out great power. With that in mind, you will never get the really low bass reproduction of a 'well rounded system' that you're asking for. I wouldn't setup door speakers for reproduction of bass much lower than 100hz either, they just don't do really well like a subwoofer does.

Small subwoofers can be had for a reasonably inexpensive price. Most small 250 watt amps are under 200 bucks, don't go too cheap on this one though. The most difficult part in the double cabs is getting a box that fits, and then the installation of it. I went with a Mr. Marv box behind my drivers side rear seat. Basically the storage bin and the child restraint hooks came out on that side.

Honestly, I bought some a power hungry subwoofer and and amplifier that can provide, it may be overkill for your situation, but I definitely think you'd be happier with a 10" sub in the back.

Also, amplifiers really make or break a stereo in terms of sound quality. They should not be overlooked. Are you on a budget? I can provide some suggestions.

3. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    think about this if you do want to get a sub set up. and you wont turn into the town radio either

4. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    welcome to TW btw :wave:

5. Aug 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Nice find! Town radio... lol never heard of that one. Everyone around here rolls with their windows down, systems blaring. I turn mine up so I don't have to hear em! :)

6. Aug 28, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    msc219

msc219 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 Double Cab
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I didn't even think about powered subs. That's why it's amateur hour all day every day for me with this stuff.

I will definitely consider the Sound Ordnance B-8PT. since I am obviously tight for space. Any other similar options? Is it better to put the sub in the tray behind the rear passenger seat, or try and get it under the driver or passenger seat? Would this have enough power where I wouldn't need a seperate amp and I could run the wires from this to the front and rear door speakers, or should I stick to the HU powering the front/rear door speakers? Are the bazookas a good option? I would think one 10 inch sub would be great, but I don't want to cut out any of the storage bins.

I was considering going with the Polk MM6501 component speakers for the front door and maybe just have some 2-way speakers in the rear door.

I'd like to spend around $500-800 for amp/sub and new speakers (front at least).

Products Discussed in

To Top