Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sensor & Guard Plate Under Driver's Seat

Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Gundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jason
Gundy315's Tacoma Gallery
Sensor & Guard Plate Under Driver's Seat

I know I have seen a discussion on this topic before, but I've searched and can't find the thread.

[06 Double Cab Prerunner]

I'm installing a sub amp under my driver's seat. Under the carpet, attached to the floor on the front side of the driver's seat, there is a sensor (or electrical plug of some sort) that has a guard plate over it. The sensor has a sticker on it that says something like "DO NOT RELOCATE". It's attached to a mounting plate that has two bolts going through the floorboard.

Questions:
1) Is this sensor part of the airbag system?
2) Has anyone just disregarded the warning sticker and relocated the sensor, and/or removed that guard plate?

I ask because moving that sensor out of the way and removing the guard plate would make alot more room to cleanly mount my amp under the seat. (my amp is not a "small footprint" jobber)

I just don't want to be surprised by an airbag exploding in my face... or not activating when it should.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I never noticed mine. My amp fit... at least my 250/1 does. Trying to fit my 300/4 on the passengers side isn't working though :P

I may consider it myself, but what about putting a washer or two and raising the seat JUST enough to fit? I'm gonna go investigate this in a few.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Lol. Sticker says do not relocate so don't do anything with it. You have plenty of other space for subs and an amp.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Gundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I never noticed mine. My amp fit... at least my 250/1 does. Trying to fit my 300/4 on the passengers side isn't working though :P

I may consider it myself, but what about putting a washer or two and raising the seat JUST enough to fit? I'm gonna go investigate this in a few.
If you have the front seat removed, you will see a ~4"x4" bump just inside the front left seat mount bolt. If you lift up the carpet, you will see a metal plate, covering this connector/sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Lol. Sticker says do not relocate so don't do anything with it. You have plenty of other space for subs and an amp.
First off, my amp is like 12"x14". Sure, it will fit under the drivers seat without moving anything, but it will look like a hack job... not what I'm going for. Second, I'm using a single 10" sub box behind the driver side rear seat, and want to retain ALL of the larger storage compartment. So, no, there is NOT plenty of other space.

I'm basically doing this on the cheap, and got a killer deal on the amp/sub/box, so I'm just trying to make it work.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy315 View Post
First off, my amp is like 12"x14". Sure, it will fit under the drivers seat without moving anything, but it will look like a hack job... not what I'm going for. Second, I'm using a single 10" sub box behind the driver side rear seat, and want to retain ALL of the larger storage compartment. So, no, there is NOT plenty of other space.

I'm basically doing this on the cheap, and got a killer deal on the amp/sub/box, so I'm just trying to make it work.
That is the problem right there. Well good luck with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful input. you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful input. you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Well, he's right. When you start messing with things in the electronics of these trucks, other things will fail. Its like a giant jenga puzzle, something else will be affected by it. JL makes stealth boxes, they aren't cheap, but they are the "right' way to do things.

Personally, you got me thinking about the raising the seat idea. I will not be touching any of the sensors, promise you that. There are FSM's online for the truck. Look em up and you'll find your answer as to what your sensor is.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
It's for the airbags. It monitors the drivers weight and tells the system at what speed and how forcefully to deploy the airbag. Tamper with it if you want, but you pretty much void any ability for it to be road worthy after that.

Save your sheckles and clams, buy quality and do it right the first time.

Otherwise when I read up about how your airbag sent your rocketing out your rear window after you hit a speed bump I'll laugh my ass off.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
It's for the airbags. It monitors the drivers weight and tells the system at what speed and how forcefully to deploy the airbag. Tamper with it if you want, but you pretty much void any ability for it to be road worthy after that.

Save your sheckles and clams, buy quality and do it right the first time.

Otherwise when I read up about how your airbag sent your rocketing out your rear window after you hit a speed bump I'll laugh my ass off.
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

by the way, just because I said I'm doing it on the cheap [a relative term] does NOT mean: (1) I didn't buy quality equipment, (2) that I'm not doing right the first time, or (3) that I ever touched that sensor. I asked a simple question to avoid doing it wrong the first time. See how that works?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Quote:
You didn't get a response. We provided limited, safe input and suggestions. You are still trying to be a dick about it. Next time keep your extra comments to yourself please, you'll get along much better. Glad someone had your answer.
Ok... now I'm confused. I did get a response. I asked if that sensor was airbag related, and that was confirmed. So, I thanked him for the help.

The second part was in response to the suggestions/assumptions that I'm using crappy equipment, not doing the install the "right way", and jacking with sensitive electronics. None of which is the case. I wasn't being a dick at all.

Again, thanks for the input (<-- not being a dick)
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
I just looked up the part in the service manual. It's actually the Yaw Rate sensor, and doesn't appear to have any affect on the airbag system, as far as I can tell. Regardless, it's probably not worth moving.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #16
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You didn't get a response. We provided limited, safe input and suggestions. You are still trying to be a dick about it. Next time keep your extra comments to yourself please, you'll get along much better. Glad someone had your answer.
sorry, he wasn't trying to be a dick about it IMO. he did however get a bunch of semi-smart ass answers to his questions.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I'm just getting tired of all the hostility lately, idk. Deleted
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just looked up the part in the service manual. It's actually the Yaw Rate sensor, and doesn't appear to have any affect on the airbag system, as far as I can tell. Regardless, it's probably not worth moving.
Off topic , but I thought the yaw rate sensor was under the console
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.

by the way, just because I said I'm doing it on the cheap [a relative term] does NOT mean: (1) I didn't buy quality equipment, (2) that I'm not doing right the first time, or (3) that I ever touched that sensor. I asked a simple question to avoid doing it wrong the first time. See how that works?
Yeah, but then I can't claim my rightful title of resident jackass.

Quote:
Well fuck me 6 ways from Sunday.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't see why mounting the amp under the passenger seat wasn't an option, besides some additional wiring. If not there, it appears that you need to consider using the back passenger side instead of the drivers side back wall. Passenger side has room for sub and an amp board.