1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help.. volume fades in and out with new HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by XPOTRPR, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR [OP] CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [09 Boosted 4x4 Adventure House] & [86 22r Minitruck]
    CHECK BUILDS
    Hey guys,

So I finally got to upgrading my stereo in my 09 DC with JBL system. Itsmy first stereo build/install. I built an amp rack and mounted the JBL amp and my 400w amp to it, then mounted my 10" sub in a truck box to that and put it behind the back 60 part of the seat. it fits perfectly and is solid. covered it all with black carpeting and trimmed the black plastic to fit around it. almost looks OEM. I then installed my Pioneer avh P4300 using the Metra JBL harness that allows me to use the jbl amp to power the speakers. it all works fine EXCEPT the volume fades in and out randomly. its not to the point of on and off, but more like a loose connection or bad wiring. I cant duplicate the problem though. it happens on its own. volume level doesnt matter, source doesnt matter. the only thing i can think of is either the Metra harness is bad or just not good to begin with, or the JBL amp isnt stable enough to power the new headunit. I double checked all my connections today. I cant figure it out. any help is greatly appreciated. hopefully i explained the problem well enough to get an idea.

Moose

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    dude, was just gonna PM you.. lol how do you find my posts. haha.. its not the ASL. my new HU doesnt have that. and even if it was, it happens when im just sitting still. its a fade in/out like theres a bad connection. like the speakers arent getting all the power they need or something.

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    did that already. i actually had major issues when i first installed it. sounded liked crap and was distorted. realized i needed to adjust that potentiometer and solved the issue. sounds good besides the fading in and out. the only thing i can think of is either the harness is crap or the JBL amp is crap. im thinking the JBL amp cant handle the volts of the HU or something. im gonna have a shop check it tomorrow.

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Mine does the same thing. On certain songs, the sound will attempt to fade in and or out and instead will cut. It's really ridiculous, yet I am hoping that when I finally get around to upgrading my sound that this issue will be solved. I have a feeling that the stock amp is to blame for some reason.

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    im thinking so too. i just want to know for sure before i bypass the amp and replace it and the wiring. it HAS to be that or the harness. ill try and record it tomorrow. its a very subtle fade in and out. like a wire isnt getting a full connection.

6. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    My whole thing is that it always happens on the same songs in the same places... Volume doesn't affect at all whether or not it is happening. The HU is trying to do something, and the speakers are doing something much different

7. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    hmm. sounds like a different issue. maybe the format of the songs playing? like not good quality or something?

8. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    My issue is the same as the one you described. I have tracked it down to certain points in songs. I have a decent setup on my computer. So I played the songs on my computer and found that when the song would try to transition and place emphasis in certain areas (front/back especially) is when I would get the cut outs in the truck. I almost assure you that we have the same issue. We have nearly identical equipment as well

9. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    hmmm.. i havent noticed it in certain points of songs. could very well be though. it just seems like its so random and that its a connection issue. im hoping an installer can help figure it out tomorrow. i almost want to replace the JBL amp and just power the doors with the headunit, but thats ALOT of rewiring. if i could find a way to use the stock wiring to just go straight from the HU to the speakers, i would. but then again, it might not be that and be the Metra harness.

10. Aug 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    You have a stock sub though correct?

11. Aug 30, 2011 at 10:26 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    No. Not anymore. I replaced the stock one with my own and is powered by a seperate amp. Its not hooked up right now though.

12. Aug 31, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
  13. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
  14. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I have the Scosche adapter and I had the same exact problems. For me it ended up being the RCA cables having bad contacts. I used my finger to press the edges in a little so they fit tighter. It came back like once, but haven't had a problem for years now.

Annoying isn't it? If all else fails, try cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) as well.

I remember I also had my fade/balance connections backwards at one point. Its been so long now, I don't remember if it changed anything, but I'd double check. My mind says it has nothing to do with it though.

15. Aug 31, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    Awesome man. I'll check that tomorrow. I have been going over the connections like crazy. Moving them around and cant duplicate the problem. Its funny cuz on my old system, i had a bad connection on the sub RCA and it did the same thing, thats what i was trying to explain and refer to when explaining this. Fade in and out. I'll make sure the RCA's are tight and also make sure he RCA's are plugged in the right way (fade balance) I did switch them back and forth, not much changed. As long as they are connected in the right way, it should be fine. I hope It fixes it. Is hate to soend all this time and money, and it turn out sounding like crap. Or have to send it back to find out it was something else, etc. We will see.

16. Aug 31, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    soljah111

soljah111 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    11 supah white OR
    None yet
    I have a Kenwood dnx710 and it did that when I first installed it. On my deck there was a crossover xover button that I turned off and it didn't do it again.

17. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    No crossover button for me. I've gone through all the settings unfortunately.. it has to be what Brian mentioned. If not, its going back for another one.. the hatness I mean.

18. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    Well, I think i fried the headunit.. I checked all my connections, plugged It in, and it doesnt work. Tested all the wires with a voltage meter and they are all fine up to the headunit. Not sure what I did.. but defintely pissed at myself. Last time I try and install something myself.

19. Sep 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Most head units have fuses on the back.....as well as the fuse from your fuse box inside the truck.

you check it?

Also, you said you checked all the wires, did you check ground? Unless you have a megger, you can't really get a solid continuity check. I would still replace the fuse and try again. You also need to verify there isn't something wrong with your remote wire. (+REM). Even if you can't turn on the radio, you can usually push a button to bring on the clock, verifying you have juice.

I can walk you through some troubleshooting if you want. I'll PM my number, shoot me a text tommorow. I find it REALLY hard to believe you fried your deck, especially if its fused like it should be.

20. Sep 2, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    For the PM. Thanks man. It isn't fried after all. Lol I hooked it uo to the truck battey to see If It woukd even turn on.. It does. so it has to be a bad wire somewhere.. either power, REM, or ground. Which doesnt make sense. I hooked it all up to the wires like the instructions said. The ONLY thing I can think of is when I hooked up the headunit, Metra harness, and steering wheel control, it messed up the wiring somehow. I had three powers connected together, and four grounds. The fourth ground was from the trucks steering wheel control's. All the fuses check out. The h/u, the one under the dash, and the two under the hood. The one under the dash was blown, but i replaced It and It still doesnt work.

Products Discussed in

To Top