Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

ipod adapter

Old 09-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
jordando89 is on a distinguished road

Name: jordan
jordando89's Tacoma Gallery
ipod adapter

what is the best ipod adapter on 2008 trd sport stock jbl stereo or way to play ipod beside stupid ones that use radio?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #2

anybody
Old 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
USA Spec, Grom Audio or Dice Electronics. They aren't stupid if they give you the best sound and some ipod control.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

i just tired of static want one that hooks directly up to stereo
Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
say NO to BRO!
jedrovsky is on a distinguished road
jedrovsky's Tacoma Gallery
if you want to go the cheaper way
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html

and the sound quality is pretty good
Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordando89 View Post
i just tired of static want one that hooks directly up to stereo
The ones I posted hook up to the CD changer port. I got the USA spec unit for 120 new on ebay. It works great.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
In addition to the DIY AUX mod, I used a PAC isimple gateway. I'm still very happy with it. It worked with my 2005 JBL and my recently installed 2009 JBL HU with the built in XM. I had to update the firmware on it to make it compatible though.

you can also buy add on attachments like an aux input port, and bluetooth. although I heard the bluetooth has mixed reviews.

I got mine on ebay for $10 used plus I had to buy the correct toyota harness which was another $10.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #10

do you have links to it on ebay
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Here is one for $20. But it doesn't come with the ipod cable and you will need to get the toyota harness. But just keep your eye out for them. Like I said I got mine for $10, it came with the ipod cable but not the aux input cable. I already have Aux input though, so that didn't matter to me .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSimple-Gate...item56451593f6

Edit: I guess the harness is closer to $15 after shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isimple-Peri...item588b0e611e

Here is the iPod Cable for ~$15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSimple-Peri...item1e63fa59e5

More Edit:

Here is the whole package brand new for $45 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSimple-iPod...item43a49cedb5
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
And now for something completely different....
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
I just had a GROM unit mysteriously die, so it seems. It was the TOYU2 USB/ipod adapter. I've sent a RMA request to GROM so we'll see what happens.

I had not touched the unit or even the USB stick in weeks. So something odd has happened.

Prior that, I wasn't a fan of it. Skipping back 10 tracks for example would lock the unit up where turning the deck off and on again would unlock it. The volume of it was low too. I may consider the above Alpine unit.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Priddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shedPriddle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
After that post, I went back out and tried the deck again and the GROM worked.

BUt my complaints still stand, including leaving the deck on when shutting the truck off...and when starting it later, the GROM displays NOT FOUND on the deck display. Must turn off the deck and turn on to reset it.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #14

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Update...GROM replied and said to "hard reset the unit by un-plugging and replugging the GROM-USB box from the vehicle specific harness. Also please cycle the ignition once before turning the stereo on once the adapter is plugged-in."

I don't know if I followed that exactly but its working again.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
enjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedenjm10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
enjm10's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Neo iPod adapter installed on my stock hu and it works great. Able to cycle through songs n it also displays the text with the text button. I have it for sale I wont be needing it much longer.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrovsky View Post
if you want to go the cheaper way
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html

and the sound quality is pretty good

i did this and it works great!!
Old 09-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #17

Priddle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priddle View Post
After that post, I went back out and tried the deck again and the GROM worked.

BUt my complaints still stand, including leaving the deck on when shutting the truck off...and when starting it later, the GROM displays NOT FOUND on the deck display. Must turn off the deck and turn on to reset it.
JUst to update this thread....today I applied a firmware update released by GROM last month and the thing now actually works the way its suppose to. Skipping tracks back and forward works everytime, although if I hit the back button 10 times really quick, there is a lag for the unit to catch up but no big deal. And the GROM continues playing where it left off when turning the truck on after leaving the deck on. No more lock ups!