1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Interesting satellite antenna idea.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RevAdam, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Sep 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam [OP] Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    I have a 2011 DC OR 4x4, I was curious as to if anyone had considered installing GPS/Sirius/XM antennas inside their wing mirrors. If there was enough room, somewhere to epoxy in a tab or if there were any photos of the inside of the housing.

I really don't want to run wires up the windscreen channel, as I don't want to cut it at the top to get the coax back out of the channel, and thought that a puck in each wing mirror (One GPS, one satellite radio.) I believe this install would give excellent LOS and be completely stealth. I've previously just thrown the puck antennas on the dash with some double sided tape and called it a day, but since the Tacoma is such a nice vehicle, it deserves a good installation.

I had found this thread on mirror destruction, but alas, it didn't include the view I was searching for.

Thanks!

2. Sep 4, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    You don't have a factory antenna for satellite?

3. Sep 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    the 11's got shortchanged :) No sharkfin.

4. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Snap, that blows. On my '04 I took the antenna wire out through the third brake light and put the antenna on the roof where the factory one normally is.

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    RevAdam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    I think I am going to go through one of the roof rack holes and put them in front of my Thule rack feet. I was surprised no one was interested in helping me pursue this one... I've never seen it done before or even heard of it, and with that big honkin' mirror housing, it screams "Hide something in me!"

Products Discussed in

To Top